Gone Crazy! Purple Rain - Atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m really hoping for The Gold Experience to get the SDE treatment 👍(especially if a live concert is on Blu-ray)

I dont know what it is about this album, but I recently sold a sealed original copy with no cut outs (found in a goodwill about 20 years ago) for $100

Has it really been 40 years for this Prince album! Hopefully, we’ll be treated with a Super Deluxe Edition with Dolby Atmos Blu-ray 🤞

Here’s to wishing for some Purple Rain in Atmos (at least as good as “Diamonds and Pearls”) for 2024 🍻

I remember very well my first experience with this album. I was a manager at a pro color lab & I needed to help a co-worker on with some photography of a difficult piece of flat art. A large oil painting that needed polarizing filters on the light source & camera to tone down the specular highlights.

I (mid 30's) go in the room and she (young 20's) has something playing pretty loud on her cassette boom box. I listened for a few seconds, I did not recognize it, so I asked her who it was. She pushed the stop button & with great disdain in her voice she said: " it's Prince. Purple Rain. It's probably too advanced for you".

Me, the audiophile music lover was mortally wounded. I never saw the movie in a theater but there was so much buzz about this I snapped it up on VHS. I've been hooked on Prince ever since.

Oh, and FWIW, Prince's previous album, 1999, is hands down the run away masterpiece for listening to in surround. The SM, QS, DPL II, it's just amazing. Give it a spin.

You can't post a thread with a title like that! You got me all excited! LOL!
It's only speculation and wishful thinking at the moment. MOJO had a little notice in the February 2024 magazine, regarding hoped for reissues in 2024: "...speculation is rife that a 40th anniversary edition of PRINCE's (below) Purple Rain will surpass the 2017 four-disc edition next year, with a Dolby Atmos mix ..."

Nobody will know anything about a physical media release, until it's announced by the record company. If the Diamond and Pearls blu-ray sold well, then it's not unreasonable to expect Purple Rain to follow suit. After all, a lot more people are likely to go crazy for a blu ray with a Purple Rain Atmos mix, than was the case for Diamonds and Pearls (which I really liked).

mojo.jpg

This from SDE Reissue Preview by @PaulatSDE:
There was a big effort and push with Prince last year and Diamonds and Pearls but that was a long time coming and we will need to wait and see what’s in store during 2024. In its 40th anniversary year, fans are hoping they might do Purple Rain ‘properly’ since the 2017 3CD+DVD now looks paper thin compared to the lavish releases that have followed. A straw poll would probably confirm Parade as the album that most people would like to see reissued. With rights split between Sony and Warners there will undoubtedly be activity this year, but another mega campaign like Sign O’ The Times or Diamonds and Pearls feels unlikely at this point in time.
https://superdeluxeedition.com/feature/sde-reissue-preview-2024

Actually, I'm not sure you can use a special anniversary as a reason for any surround mix. Didn't Rhino do something special for Joni Mitchell recently? All kinds of album box sets and reissues? I really expected this last batch (or the previous one) would have had a Joni Quadio, but it didn't. So I really don't think there's a correlation between an anniversary and surround release.

Actually, I'm not sure you can use a special anniversary as a reason for any surround mix. Didn't Rhino do something special for Joni Mitchell recently? All kinds of album box sets and reissues? I really expected this last batch (or the previous one) would have had a Joni Quadio, but it didn't. So I really don't think there's a correlation between an anniversary and surround release.
Joni appears to be making a mini comeback, as demonstrated by her appearance at Newport last year and her upcoming appearance on the Grammy Awards show. I would consider it to be a wasted opportunity if the rights can’t be secured this year for one of the Joni quads.

I found this on Reddit:

Prince estate partner and legacy preservationist Charles F Spicer Jr:
"We'd be remiss if we didn't do something around Purple Rain next year, for both the film and the album. It's the work that elevated Prince to greatness, so we won't leave 2024 without doing justice to Purple Rain. That's a signature project."

Back