James Taylor Live at The Beacon Theater DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll listen later today and report back - it's so old, I can't remember specifics, except that it's only DD on the DVD.

I have that one but haven't played it for years...I can check it out later today...one thing is certain...if you don't mind buying a used copy it is certainly cheap...check this out....here is the songlist and audio options

001.jpg
003.jpg

Okay, I just listened to the first few tracks.

First off, if I recall correctly, when this was first released it received accolades for setting a new standard for concerts on DVD. I can't remember where I read that, so I don't have a reference, but if it's true I certainly can't argue. I think it sounds fantastic, particularly the bass, which is very smooth and defined.

As far as the mix, it's a straight "stage in front, audience in the rears" mix. I wouldn't let that stop you from buying it, though, because it sounds great.

Regarding the performance: I've never seen James Taylor live, so I don't know if this show is typical, but I'm really glad they left all the in-between song chatter on this. It's a very intimate show.

Lastly, I don't know if this is available in widescreen or blu ray, but the video is 4:3. It came out when widescreen televisions were still the exception and not the standard.

I hope this helps.

I just did a quick search, and much to my surprise, it appears that there aren't any James Taylor shows available on blu ray.

I just did a quick search, and much to my surprise, it appears that there aren't any James Taylor shows available on blu ray.

I like his One Man Band dvd from 2007 I believe. It is widescreen, but only in stereo as I recall. But then again, it's only him and a piano player so not much point to a surround mix. And you're right, nothing on blu ray as of yet. I saw him a few weeks ago, maybe we'll get a concert blu ray from his present tour (y)

The JT Musicares HD-DVD is killer even though other artists perform many of this tunes first. It's also one of the few discs that keeps me keeping my HD-DVD player around, along with the Eagles Farewell Tour I, which, IMHO, blows the BluRay version away - off the map. Kills it.

Back