Jethro Tull "Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die" 2CD/2DVD Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone notice the almost lack of advertising that the release contains the unissued quad mix. Dig just a little and all we are getting is it in DTS and dolby, no lossless. Already a mark down.

This should be no surprise to anyone as the only time a Jethro Tull reissue had lossless surround as an option was in the very expensive "Aqualung" box set.
Since then, all other Tull reissues have just had Dolby and DTS 96/24 on DVD-Video discs.
It's a shame that they have never gone back to Blu-Ray since the release of "Aqualung", but given that it's almost 2016 and they have not moved over basically tells me they don't care about Blu-Ray and probably never will.
At least for this reissue though, DVD-V makes sense given that the TV special (with surround) is the main draw of this set for many fans.

This disc set should be a mark up not down.

We always get AMPLE bonus surround material with these book sets.I only wish more surround artist's releases provided as much or even some bonus surround as that what we ALWAYS get from the "Tull" reissues.

Anyone notice the almost lack of advertising that the release contains the unissued quad mix. Dig just a little and all we are getting is it in DTS and dolby, no lossless. Already a mark down.

That may be, but I have to say, I have no problem with any of the earlier Tull issues that were released in the same way. They all sound excellent.

I don't remember seeing this on TV (I could have been out and about gallivanting when I should have been studying for my A levels!), anybody know when it was transmitted, and on which channel? we did only have 3 to choose from then! But it could have been on one of the regional ITV channels.

Fairly sure I saw it on Granada, no idea when it was transmitted. I don't think it got a repeat so it's great to be able to see it again.

Fairly sure I saw it on Granada, no idea when it was transmitted. I don't think it got a repeat so it's great to be able to see it again.

This could actually be one of the best releases of this year, and I'm talking about the TV show portion of it. I wanna make sure I got this right. Its a studio re recording of the full album that was filmed for English TV and remixed in 5.1 by Steven Wilson? ......Pinch Me :cool:

Oh yeah, it also happens to have an unreleased QUAD master, Outtakes, available 5.1 studio tracks remixed by SW, packaged the same fantastic way as the previous releases, all for about $25 ....

These Tull sets are a steal. The value is unreal, and this one is basically a new release, at least from my perspective ... I've never seen it, and Ill bet not a lot of you have either, especially if it didn't air here in the states. Does any one know if it was ever aired in the US?

I gotta add too that I've listened to the stereo version of this since it was first released, and it has to be the most underrated Tull album. Parts of it are excellent, classic Tull, but the story is pretty lame and the album sold poorly. Luckily, the multis were available for what I'd consider the essential tracks of the studio album.

Getting familiar with the estereo. Not sure where I'm at song-wise on this one.
How do others rank this album compared to the other JT that has come out in surround?

Comparing this album against the other 6 Tull albums released in surround, this one is definitely the weakest IMHO.
I think Ian's songwriting on this one definitely fails in comparison to what came before it and what comes after with albums like "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses".

I would rank TOTR&RTYTD ahead of Passion Play. I would rank parts of it ahead of parts of Benefit. Those other 5 releases are pretty stiff competition.

It's difficult for me to rank them because I'm an almost inconditional fan, but I prefer listening to TOTRNR than to Songs From the Wood these days. :couch

It's difficult for me to rank them because I'm an almost inconditional fan, but I prefer listening to TOTRNR than to Songs From the Wood these days. :couch

haha, no reason to cower behind the couch, mate. Preferences not only change from person to person, but the order in which I place Jethro Tull albums has changed as well. For example, due to the fabulous remixes, "A Passion Play", "Minstrel in the Gallery", and "Benefit" have all moved above "Aqualung" for me, and even though I still rank "WarChild" lower than all of those (and my favorite which is "Thick as a Brick") the remix has made that album a much more pleasurable and enjoyable listening experience for me, so I hope the same will be true for TOTRNR as well. :)

For this you really deserve your name on Too Old the TV Edition. :brew Hope the quad mix is enjoyed.

I can't wait to hear Songs From the Wood or HH over this... :teleport:

:D

Best of luck with the name game. :)
I could have said some people will say anything nice to get their name on a Too Old album. :p:popcorn
Not to jinx.

Like me now? :D

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/60285/thread

TOTRnR%20Burning%20Shed_zpssn6suhzx.jpg

https://www.burningshed.com/store/j...dium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+08+10+2015

I am not going go rate albums. I like them all especially the new 5.1 SW versions. I think a lot of what I like is what I grew up with and that is primarily Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses.. But Too old to R&R is another of my favorites and I rank it third behind HH and SFTW. I expect it to be great.

Back