Jim Alfredson THEO - Pledge music Blu-Ray option

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zoom in. It's not super compressed. There is over 30db of dynamic range on this album.

Any waveform will look like a block if you're zoomed out too much.

Here are the statistics of the Front Left channel taken from Cubase direct from the original mastered 24/96 wave files. This is an average of the entire album. Notice the the Loudness value of -13.09 and the Loudness Range value of 18.50 LU. Again, this is an average over the entire album. There are very loud spots and very soft spots and a lot of dynamic range in between.

Title;Statistics - "Theo_Surr96_The Game of Ouroborus_MEQ1.L"
Date;Thursday, March 12, 2015
Loudness_Value;-13.09 LUFS
Loudness_Range;18.50 LU
Max_True_Peak_Level;0.21 dBTP
Max_Momentary_Loudness;-6.79 LUFS
Max_Short_Term_Loudness;-8.99 LUFS
Sample Rate;96.000 kHz
Average RMS (AES-17) Middle;-27.33 dB
Max. RMS Middle;-5.32 dB
Max. RMS;-5.32 dB
Min. Sample Value Middle;-0.01 dB
Max. Sample Value Middle;-0.01 dB
Peak Amplitude Middle;-0.01 dB
True Peak Middle;0.21 dB
DC Offset Middle;-oo dB
Resolution Middle;24 Bit
Estimated Pitch Middle;1439.3Hz/F#5

I don't think anyone in the mastering business would say that an album with those numbers is "super compressed". Yes, there is some compression and limiting on it, maybe a bit more so than what they would've done in the 70s, but nowhere near the kind of brickwall smashing indicative of the loudness wars.

Compare this to Steven Wilson's last album, The Raven That Refused To Sing, which has been hailed (rightfully so) as a gorgeous sounding and dynamic album.

http://productionadvice.co.uk/how-loud-is-too-loud-when-dr-values-just-arent-enough/

Notice his LUFS is -13.6 (mine is -13.09) but the overall range is 16.2 LU. So my album actually has more dynamic range at 18.50 LU than "Raven". The mastering engineer I used, Mr. Glenn Brown, really knows his stuff and I had to convince him (in a friendly way) to keep as much dynamic range as we did. He wanted to remove that extra 2 LU of range. I said no.

Thank you, Jon!

To answer some questions as to why I used Dolby AC3 compression on the Blu-Ray; it wasn't a capacity issue. Here's how I explained it on PledgeMusic.

For the record, I now have estimates for what it will cost to have a Blu-Ray authored by the same company that did the YES releases (mixed by Steven Wilson), so I will budget that in to my next project which will most likely be for my jazz trio organissimo later this year.

Thanks again for the support and interest in this music.

3 cheers for Opus Productions! :wave :woopie

UGH... :mad:@:

We have the gentleman who created this work right here on the forum and this is all you've got?

Yes, one would of thought I had learned my lesson, hey? The Hoffman crowd influenced me too much, I have a tendency to check waveforms first as I back every disc up on my laptop or external Hard drive. My comments are tame to what some of them would of said.

BTW; I do recommend this title to everyone! Support it.

Zoom in. It's not super compressed. There is over 30db of dynamic range on this album.

Any waveform will look like a block if you're zoomed out too much.

Here are the statistics of the Front Left channel taken from Cubase direct from the original mastered 24/96 wave files. This is an average of the entire album. Notice the the Loudness value of -13.09 and the Loudness Range value of 18.50 LU. Again, this is an average over the entire album. There are very loud spots and very soft spots and a lot of dynamic range in between.

Title;Statistics - "Theo_Surr96_The Game of Ouroborus_MEQ1.L"
Date;Thursday, March 12, 2015
Loudness_Value;-13.09 LUFS
Loudness_Range;18.50 LU
Max_True_Peak_Level;0.21 dBTP
Max_Momentary_Loudness;-6.79 LUFS
Max_Short_Term_Loudness;-8.99 LUFS
Sample Rate;96.000 kHz
Average RMS (AES-17) Middle;-27.33 dB
Max. RMS Middle;-5.32 dB
Max. RMS;-5.32 dB
Min. Sample Value Middle;-0.01 dB
Max. Sample Value Middle;-0.01 dB
Peak Amplitude Middle;-0.01 dB
True Peak Middle;0.21 dB
DC Offset Middle;-oo dB
Resolution Middle;24 Bit
Estimated Pitch Middle;1439.3Hz/F#5

I don't think anyone in the mastering business would say that an album with those numbers is "super compressed". Yes, there is some compression and limiting on it, maybe a bit more so than what they would've done in the 70s, but nowhere near the kind of brickwall smashing indicative of the loudness wars.

Compare this to Steven Wilson's last album, The Raven That Refused To Sing, which has been hailed (rightfully so) as a gorgeous sounding and dynamic album.

http://productionadvice.co.uk/how-loud-is-too-loud-when-dr-values-just-arent-enough/

Notice his LUFS is -13.6 (mine is -13.09) but the overall range is 16.2 LU. So my album actually has more dynamic range at 18.50 LU than "Raven". The mastering engineer I used, Mr. Glenn Brown, really knows his stuff and I had to convince him (in a friendly way) to keep as much dynamic range as we did. He wanted to remove that extra 2 LU of range. I said no.

Thanks Jim for your immensely detailed response. I appreciate your work on this project.

I do like the music very much, in fact I would say this album is excellent. Personally I do like little to no compression during mastering so I can crank it right up but I understand your point. I should of listened first but I could not at the time so just looked at files in Audacity. I can actually usually tell the volume I will need my receiver at my viewing the waveforms, but in this case the songs sound way better than the waveforms look!

Once again thanks for this project.

The flies effect in the rear channels gets me every time I listen to the opening track.

I went to get the fly spray the first (and second time) I heard it...:couch :fly:

Back