Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I rip everything (and scan the covers) I buy, and play it from the computer - except SACD's.

Nice. Curious, those spectrum waves are they showing level of compression? Eg the thicker waves the more compression?

Is that the Silverline release?

Yup. Not surprising the lack of discreteness.

Now listening to Barclay James Harvest - Once Again, quad conversion. Now we're cooking with gasoline :) First time ever listening to this band...

Yup. Not surprising the lack of discreteness.

Now listening to Barclay James Harvest - Once Again, quad conversion. Now we're cooking with gasoline :) First time ever listening to this band...

Once Again is not only an amazing album but the Quad is also a superb mix. :)

Crowded House - Crowded House

edit...Where is the darn Split Enz in multichannel we all deserve !

Nice. Curious, those spectrum waves are they showing level of compression? Eg the thicker waves the more compression?

Yes, that is correct. Foobar also have a Dynamic Range Meter to check for compression/loudness. But it's usually enough to take a look at the spectrum to "know" how good or bad a recording is - in that way. And using the ReplayGain will show how "hot" the recording really is.

I really hate the loudness-war!!! :howl

Yes, that is correct. Foobar also have a Dynamic Range Meter to check for compression/loudness. But it's usually enough to take a look at the spectrum to "know" how good or bad a recording is - in that way. And using the ReplayGain will show how "hot" the recording really is.

I really hate the loudness-war!!! :howl

Yes, the plugin is great, I've been through nearly my entire cd collection, hehe. Good tip on the spectrum however! Yes the loudness war is really the sound of muzak, making one of the wonders of the world going down (to quote a certain Steven Wilson).

stupid_zpsgssyhklu.jpg

Pretty loud, but sounds amazing from the master&co :)

I think a box with all 5.1 recordings from Porcupine Tree remastered in a "audiofile" style with full dynamics would be nice!

After listening to King Crimson's BEAT and THREE of a Perfect Pair, I decided to spin KC's In the Court of the Crimson King. What an EXQUISITE journey of sound. From the bombast of 21st Century Schizoid to the mellifluous In The Court of the Crimson King, Steve Wilson's holographic remix captures a band in ascension and the original state of the art engineering is just uncanny. When I first experienced the vinyl way back in college I could never imagine that one day I would hear it quite like this!

ABSOLUTE ELSEWHERE a QUAD conversion.

Some fun with electronic keyboards and a spectacular quad mix for info sake. Back in the day this UK import was readily available in the better record stores. And I don't think I ever came across a stereo version anywhere-only the Quadradisc from WEA UK.
Features Bill Bruford on drums btw. (ex. Of Yes and Crimson ).

20160805_192342.jpg20160805_192359.jpg

This was one of the very last handful of Quads from Warners Europe.(76/77)

Live It Up - Isley Brothers

..it may have taken the best part of a decade since hearing the Isleys' 3+3 & O'Jays Ship Ahoy Quad>M/C SACDs to finally get to hear a lot of this other black music stuff I love so much in surround (and the Isleys' Heat Is On Quad still eludes me..) but lapping up the sheer beauty in these largely forgotten (and I suspect mostly overlooked at the time) old Quads of 70's Soul and R&B gorgeousness.. well.. it was worth the wait :eek:

As kids frantically rummage the streets in this cold and grey weather looking for strangers who'll give them candy, I'm enjoying some corn dawgs and playing my replacement Chicago discs. Life is good. :)

Anytime I hear Color My World, I'm brought back in time to when my Mum would play the 45. The disc had been pressed off center, which meant that it sounded a tad off. To this day, my mind reproduces the effect even on the Quad version. The mind is a trickster sometimes. ;)

As kids frantically rummage the streets in this cold and grey weather looking for strangers who'll give them candy, I'm enjoying some corn dawgs and playing my replacement Chicago discs. Life is good. :)

Anytime I hear Color My World, I'm brought back in time to when my Mum would play the 45. The disc had been pressed off center, which meant that it sounded a tad off. To this day, my mind reproduces the effect even on the Quad version. The mind is a trickster sometimes. ;)

NICE! Well, my memories of Color My World take me back to laying in my bed, sometime around 1971 I guess...little Radio Shack AM radio in my window.....WLS John Record's Landecker playing the song.....wow, life was so simple and great back then.

Back