MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for letting us know - Has anyone confirmed that this is the same as the SACD surround mix?

I don't have the SACD, but I have to imagine it's the same mix. The mix is by Jeff Glixman and Cal Harris with Carl Cadden-James.

Also audio is as follows: PCM Stereo (Yellow), DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (Red), and Dolby True HD 5.1 (Green)

I don't have the SACD, but I have to imagine it's the same mix. The mix is by Jeff Glixman and Cal Harris with Carl Cadden-James.

Also audio is as follows: PCM Stereo (Yellow), DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (Red), and Dolby True HD 5.1 (Green)

So the (remaining) question is - is it the same mastering.

Ryan - is there info on the stereo mastering? I'm curious to know if it's a new one and how it sounds.

Not sure if you have the capability but it would be great to see some spectral plots of both stereo and surround mixes to see if it's a straight port of the SACD or not.

Not sure if you have the capability but it would be great to see some spectral plots of both stereo and surround mixes to see if it's a straight port of the SACD or not.

I can do the sacd if you tell me the best software to use and if someone will do the bluray...

Take Off: The Complete Blue Note Albums - Miles Davis Blu-Ray-A HFPA
Unknown.jpeg

How much better is the Blu-Ray, compared to the 40th Anniversary edition; in other words is it worth buying for 2CH. non-surround?
Same goes for Let it Bleed , compared to the 2CH SACD?

How much better is the Blu-Ray, compared to the 40th Anniversary edition; in other words is it worth buying for 2CH. non-surround?
Same goes for Let it Bleed , compared to the 2CH SACD?

I'm very happy with Let It Bleed...it's a HUGE step up from Grrrr...which I thought was CD quality...I don't have the comparison you are looking for but Marpow compares the SHM-SACD version HERE

I just got Exile today so I haven't played it but fredblue rated it highly and I trust his evaluation(that's why I bought it)which is HERE

I'm very happy with Let It Bleed...it's a HUGE step up from Grrrr...which I thought was CD quality...I don't have the comparison you are looking for but Marpow compares the SHM-SACD version HERE

I just got Exile today so I haven't played it but fredblue rated it highly and I trust his evaluation(that's why I bought it)which is HERE

You know the Exile album so you ought not go in expecting sonic miracles! :D
For some of the tracks it's easily the best I've ever heard them.. the DR for each track of the Blu-ray is the same as the SHM-SACD, which gets a lot of praise, fwiw, the BD is presumed from the same mastering but I couldn't tell you either way.

Disco - Grace Jones (HFPA BD-A).

Compilation of 3 x albums plus Bonus Tracks in 2.0

View attachment 18679

Before I actually give this a 1st listen I'll just say this;
if Universal continue down this road, in spite of no 5.1, this is still a welcome release in my eyes due to the sheer amount of music on the disc (43 tracks!) which for the huge capacity of Blu-ray is much more like it!

Track listing:

Portfolio & bonus tracks
1. Send In The Clowns
2. What I Did For Love
3. Tomorrow
4. La Vie En Rose
5. Sorry
6. That’s The Trouble
7. I Need A Man
8. Sorry (Long Version)
9. That’s The Trouble (Long Version)
10. I Need A Man (Long Version)
11. I Need a Man (Instrumental Version)
12. Sorry (Instrumental Version)
13. That’s the Trouble (Instrumental Version)
14. La Vie En Rose (Instrumental Version)

Fame & bonus tracks
15. Do Or Die
16. Pride
17. Fame
18. Autumn Leaves
19. All On A Summer’s Night
20. Am I Ever Gonna Fall In Love In New York City
21. Below The Belt
22. Do Or Die (12″ Disco Version)
23. Comme Un Oiseau Qui S’Envole (Long Version)
24. Anema E Core (Long Version)
25. Do Or Die (Instrumental Version)
26. Comme Un Oiseau Qui S’Envole (Instrumental Version)
27. Am I Ever Gonna Fall In Love In New York City (Instrumental Version)
28. Anema E Core (Instrumental Version)

Muse & bonus tracks
29 Sinning
30 Suffer
31 Repentance (Forgive Me)
32 Saved
33 Atlantic City Gambler
34 I’ll Find My Way To You
35 Don’t Mess With The Messer
36 On Your Knees
37 Don’t Mess With The Messer (Long Version)
38 La Vie En Rose (Short Version)
39 Do Or Die (Short Version)
40 Comme Un Oiseau Qui S’Envole (Short Version)
41 Am I Ever Gonna Fall In Love In New York City (Short Version)
42 On Your Knees (Edit)
43 Don’t Mess With The Messer (Edit)

You know the Exile album so you ought not go in expecting sonic miracles! :D
For some of the tracks it's easily the best I've ever heard them.. the DR for each track of the Blu-ray is the same as the SHM-SACD, which gets a lot of praise, fwiw, the BD is presumed from the same mastering but I couldn't tell you either way.

I played it yesterday and you are spot on...It's probably the best sounding version available at this time.....I'm pleased with it...it's not one of my favorite Stones albums..in fact I'm surprised it gets so much acclaim..the song list isn't that great..IMO...it was relatively cheap at under $19 with shipping included...so an easy decision for me...getting good audio quality on the Stones portfolio isn't easy...I've had some flops along the way...that's why the advice I get on here from people like you are so helpful...I wasn't doing so well on my own...you certainly have to pick your spots with the Stones..if you value sound quality...

Before I actually give this a 1st listen I'll just say this;
if Universal continue down this road, in spite of no 5.1, this is still a welcome release in my eyes due to the sheer amount of music on the disc (43 tracks!) which for the huge capacity of Blu-ray is much more like it!

Track listing:

Portfolio & bonus tracks
1. Send In The Clowns
2. What I Did For Love
3. Tomorrow
4. La Vie En Rose
5. Sorry
6. That’s The Trouble
7. I Need A Man
8. Sorry (Long Version)
9. That’s The Trouble (Long Version)
10. I Need A Man (Long Version)
11. I Need a Man (Instrumental Version)
12. Sorry (Instrumental Version)
13. That’s the Trouble (Instrumental Version)
14. La Vie En Rose (Instrumental Version)

Fame & bonus tracks
15. Do Or Die
16. Pride
17. Fame
18. Autumn Leaves
19. All On A Summer’s Night
20. Am I Ever Gonna Fall In Love In New York City
21. Below The Belt
22. Do Or Die (12″ Disco Version)
23. Comme Un Oiseau Qui S’Envole (Long Version)
24. Anema E Core (Long Version)
25. Do Or Die (Instrumental Version)
26. Comme Un Oiseau Qui S’Envole (Instrumental Version)
27. Am I Ever Gonna Fall In Love In New York City (Instrumental Version)
28. Anema E Core (Instrumental Version)

Muse & bonus tracks
29 Sinning
30 Suffer
31 Repentance (Forgive Me)
32 Saved
33 Atlantic City Gambler
34 I’ll Find My Way To You
35 Don’t Mess With The Messer
36 On Your Knees
37 Don’t Mess With The Messer (Long Version)
38 La Vie En Rose (Short Version)
39 Do Or Die (Short Version)
40 Comme Un Oiseau Qui S’Envole (Short Version)
41 Am I Ever Gonna Fall In Love In New York City (Short Version)
42 On Your Knees (Edit)
43 Don’t Mess With The Messer (Edit)

I had that one pre ordered then changed my mind...I still haven't ruled it out but there are others I want first..but you are right..that's the beauty of blu ray technology...and it's a shame that it doesn't get utilized as much as it should..I think the companies are afraid that the price might scare people away...but I'd much rather have all that material on one disc..you can get to the songs you want in seconds instead of putting another disc in the player...that Tom Petty Anthology disc is a great example...all those songs at your finger tips...they should have been using blu ray for audio long before this...this fact is not lost on the classical music companies...they are using it to their advantage...it's just part of the horrible marketing campaign that was used on Blu Ray...from day one...they blew it....

Back