MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpgimage.jpg

i wondering if UM has some sort intent by re-releasing previously issued surround titles,
instead of going at first with prepared but shelved?

i wondering if UM has some sort intent by re-releasing previously issued surround titles,

Universal did the same with SACD and DVD Audio. They released a number of titles in Surround SACD and DVD-A that had been originally created for 5.1 DTS Music Discs. Nothing new.

I suspect they've the attitude that there is no need to do extensive marketing as its sold before therefore it'll sell again. What they seem to forget is that people do want to listen to something new, or that has been long deleted, e.g. the Supertramp "Crime of the century" Quad mix which does seem to have existed would have been nice :scream!

I suspect they've the attitude that there is no need to do extensive marketing as its sold before therefore it'll sell again. What they seem to forget is that people do want to listen to something new, or that has been long deleted, e.g. the Supertramp "Crime of the century" Quad mix which does seem to have existed would have been nice :scream!

Assuming that Crime of the Century isn't one of the A&M Quad Mixes that can no longer be found....

that's sux. don't get me wrong, i'm all for the chance for other folks, who missed them at the first issue.
but UM has huge - huge archive and i think there are plenty of surround titles, mixed back in 70s and at
beginning of this millenia (for DVD-A/SACD), which never saw the light of the day.
i believe what we know from announces and rumors, just a tip of the iceberg.
there perhaps hundreds and hundreds if not thousands.

image.jpgimage.jpg

With the recent discussion of Rossini's overtures on another thread, I decided to dive into this series from Naxos on Bluray. First impressions are good. The performances are lively and played with zest. But, it must be said that they lack that special degree of polish and control that Marriner/Academy, Szell/Cleveland, or Reiner/Chicago were able to achieve. Now, having gotten the bad news out of the way, let me just say that for me performances are not always about being "the best in the world". They are about people giving their all to create something uniquely their own. And what Christian Benda and the Prague Sinfonia Orchestra might lack in technical brilliance, they make up for in personality and drive. Needless to say, I'll be getting the other volumes as well.

The 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix is excellent. It's not a full-blown 360 degree mix like TACET, but the surrounds are actively used to create an immersive wrap around effect.

Here are a couple reviews for anyone interested...

http://classicalcandor.blogspot.jp/2012/11/rossini-complete-overtures-volume-1-cd.html

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/mu...-sinfonia-orchestra-blu-ray-audio-review.html

Last edited:
Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways (Blu-ray - 3 disc set) Dolby TrueHD 5.1

Dave Grohl's love letter to music was originally broadcast earlier this year as a mini series on HBO. If you missed it, here's the basics.

The Foo's visit 8 US cities known for their unique music scenes - Chicago, Austin, Nashville, Los Angeles, Seattle, New Orleans, Washington D.C. and New York. The band sets up space in a well known studio in each city, and in a week's time compose and record a song specific to the feel of the city. Along the way they tell the history of the music scene in each town and mingle with some hometown favorites (Rick Nielsen, Ian MacKaye, Joe Walsh, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Trombone Shorty, Zac Brown, Gary Clark Jr., Dolly Parton, Paul Stanley, Nancy Wilson, Black Keys‘ Dan Auerbach, Public Enemy‘s Chuck D, ZZ Top‘s Billy Gibbons, Butthole Surfers’ Gibby Haynes, Joan Jett, Carrie Underwood and more)

At the end of each episode the completed song is presented. Although the BD package only indicates Dolby it is indeed TrueHD 5.1. This is a very entertaining, engrossing and informative series with a little something for everyone - even if you don't like the Foo Fighters. There is a bonus disc of extras - extended interviews and such and it does bear up well under repeated viewings. The $64,000 question is the mix for the songs - encoded as 5.1 TrueHD 24/48 - though not discrete - basically double stereo. If you don't like the Foo Fighters, these songs which are well written under the conceit of the premise and certainly well recorded, will not likely change your mind. However if you're a fan of the history of rock music and just as importantly the making and recording of it, then this is a no miss. A quick note for those with the werewithal - each episode is split into 8 chapters with the 8th chapter the song. DVD AE works just fine.

sonic2.jpg

Universal's HFPA of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On"

This is an example of wonderful Blu-Ray authoring!
Upon placing the disc in the player, a menu pops up with navigation to all 8 tracks along with audio setup that is controllable by colored buttons.
All you have to do is press the right color followed by enter and the album begins playing in whatever audio format you choose.

You can also switch off the screen, and the extras (a gallery and an audio interview) are also accessible via this menu.
Fab work, Universal! Keep it up on future HFPA releases!

As for the actual content of the disc itself, I'll probably vote an '8'. The music and fidelity are both very good, but I feel like the mix could give me more at times.

Universal's HFPA of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On"

This is an example of wonderful Blu-Ray authoring!
Upon placing the disc in the player, a menu pops up with navigation to all 8 tracks along with audio setup that is controllable by colored buttons.
All you have to do is press the right color followed by enter and the album begins playing in whatever audio format you choose.

You can also switch off the screen, and the extras (a gallery and an audio interview) are also accessible via this menu.
Fab work, Universal! Keep it up on future HFPA releases!

As for the actual content of the disc itself, I'll probably vote an '8'. The music and fidelity are both very good, but I feel like the mix could give me more at times.

Thanks for letting us know - Has anyone confirmed that this is the same as the SACD surround mix?

Joe Bonamassa's latest Red Rocks disc is fantastic. Both performance and audio quality. In fact you can't really go wrong with any of his 10 Blu-Ray discs.

Back