New Stones album announced, coming in September - Hackney Diamonds (CD + Atmos Blu-Ray Box Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now to Hackney Diamonds-Dolby Atmos.
24bit/48Khz, MKV File. DR's are 11, 12's, 13's.
Pretty good. A step up from Goats Head Soup.
The surround mix is kind of a diagonal approach, I like it.
I have not listened but the 2.0 from the Blu Ray, highly compressed with 5's and 6's.
The 5.1 Blu Ray is equal to the Atmos with the higher Dynamic Range numbers.
Most importantly the songs are real good Stones songs.
View attachment 97696
There’s a 5.1 mix on the BluRay?

I was spending some time with the ripped song 'ANGRY' (7.1 - via MakeMKV) and can tell that a good Atmos or 7.1 speaker setup rather than a 5.1 speaker setup like mine, would benefit from the mix on this.

BTW - what is in the Atmos heights on this one?

The 7.1 is laid out in Audacity as 1 & 2 (Fronts) 3 (Center) 4 (LFE) 5 & 6 (Surrounds - I call sides) and 7 & 8 (Rear Surrounds - I call rears.)

If I play this 7.1 on my 5.1 computer setup, downmixed to 5.1 in Foobar2000, then the nice Piano in this tune (from Matt Clifford ) gets buried in Rears with the distorted Guitar that is back there. I would even bet that if you turned up the Surrounds (Sides) in 7.1, more of the piano may come to life depending on your system.

So I tried several different mixing options into a 5.1 mix and settled on isolating (or stemming out) the Piano in DeMix Pro and mixing that into the Center, with some amplitude adjustments at various points; and it really brought out the Piano. The Rears are mostly dirty sounding guitar rhythm as I mentioned.

Don't believe I'll spend the time doing this to the whole album, more of an experiment on my part, to see if I could get the Piano to come out of the mix more.

Here's what the Piano looks like from the Sides (they isolated very cleanly IMO), which I mixed into the Center (but I left them in the sides also, because it seemed to help carry them overall.)

ISO PIANO FROM SIDES.jpg

Here is what the waves look like for the original 7.1 with the Sides highlighted.

ANGRY 7.1 ORIGINAL.jpg

I was spending some time with the ripped song 'ANGRY' (7.1 - via MakeMKV) and can tell that a good Atmos or 7.1 speaker setup rather than a 5.1 speaker setup like mine, would benefit from the mix on this.

The 7.1 is laid out in Audacity as 1 & 2 (Fronts) 3 (Center) 4 (LFE) 5 & 6 (Surrounds - I call sides) and 7 & 8 (Rear Surrounds - I call rears.)

If I play this 7.1 on my 5.1 computer setup, downmixed to 5.1 in Foobar2000, then the nice Piano in this tune (from Matt Clifford ) gets buried in Rears with the distorted Guitar that is back there. I would even bet that if you turned up the Surrounds (Sides) in 7.1, more of the piano may come to life depending on your system.

So I tried several different mixing options into a 5.1 mix and settled on isolating (or stemming out) the Piano in DeMix Pro and mixing that into the Center, with some amplitude adjustments at various points; and it really brought out the Piano. The Rears are mostly dirty sounding guitar rhythm as I mentioned.

Don't believe I'll spend the time doing this to the whole album, more of an experiment on my part, to see if I could get the Piano to come out of the mix more.

Here's what the Piano looks like from the Sides (they isolated very cleanly IMO), which I mixed into the Center (but I left them in the sides also, because it seemed to help carry them overall.)

View attachment 97739

Here is what the waves look like for the original 7.1 with the Sides highlighted.

View attachment 97740

View attachment 97739

View attachment 97740
I've listened to this only on Apple Music, but there's next to nothing in the heights on this one. Good music that deserved a better Atmos mix. :)

I will admit that I don’t know what this really means. I ripped the disc over the weekend with MakeMKV. When I look at audio tracks in VLC, it shows 5.1 even though that’s not an option on the disc. Can anyone explain what that means in practice when it’s shown in VLC this way?

I don’t have the digital file on a computer that can play surround yet, so I can’t check what’s heard when choosing 5.1. Maybe it just means the Atmos version is being played in a 5.1 setup.

(And maybe this needs to be moved out the Poll thread.)

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 12.44.48 PM.png

The first stream (7.1) is the TrueHD/Atmos, but in the absence of an Atmos decoder it defaults to 7.1 surround. The second stream (5.1) is the lossy Dolby Digital 'core' audio inside the TrueHD.
Thank you! I’d seen that before in other cases and I had no idea what it meant until now. Appreciate it!

Wow, is that it... Not even a separately encoded 7.1 Dolby TrueHD stream?
That IS the Atmos. It just ignores the metadata for a standard 7.1 floor speaker setup.
Then there is what some people call a core, which is actually a separate track. That is usually the same as the TrueHD stream, only lossy, for compatibility with older players. Only one time I remember the lossy "core" being different, which was Gimme Some Truth, if I remember correctly.

Yay, my order from Amazon US shipped today, finally. I was able to secure it at a total, shipped for $65.02. I was afraid the order would get cancelled and I'd have to order at a higher price elsewhere.
Mine shipped Nov 1st. Due to be delivered between Nov 7th and Nov 10th. $65.09.
Nov 10th, same day Rick Wright is supposed to be released.

Really good Stones album. I’ve had it for less than 24 hours and have listened to it more than any new Stones album since Tattoo You. I didn’t think they had it in them. What a strong album to end their career with.

Back