New Stones album announced, coming in September - Hackney Diamonds (CD + Atmos Blu-Ray Box Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to this now.
Purchased via Rarewaves .

Very good 5.1 mix in Atmos...
There is height activity.

This is a solid Stones album and a worthy farewell to Charlie.

Atmos mix by Giles Martin
How is the mastering? The two singles released so far sound a bit crushed to my ears

All sounds fine to my ears 👂
But that comes with a disclaimer ...with my old Lords and Peers. :D
1697720792720.png
Who said that?

I've listened to the bluray now :cool:. I don't have Atmos, so I can only comment on the Atmos mix on my 5.1 system as TrueHD, and it sounds really good. There's plenty discrete from all around, on my favourite track Sweet Sounds of Heaven the girl (Lady Gaga) vocals come from behind and Jagger's from the front, and its sounds really good. The disc is set at a really low volume, so you have to turn it up a lot, which seems to be coming more commonplace now.

:unsure: May be its because they've all got so many large houses scattered across the globe they now need to pay for a lot of stairlifts to be installed :devilish::ROFLMAO:
Probably true! All that R. S. stuff is way too expensive. They even have a deluxe edition of this for about 150$!! Even FC. Barcelona got on this hype selling their "Classico" Tricot wit the R. S. Logo for about 450$!! And it's sold out!!! People have too much money! I never was a big fan of the R. S. and this even strengthen my opinion! Ripping people off although they already have more than enough for several lives! Not with me!!

How is the mastering? The two singles released so far sound a bit crushed to my ears
The producer, Andrew Watt, is known for his heavily compressed recordings. The CD and stereo mix on the blu-ray sound horrible, like almost all new rock/pop releases. It's just a barrage of noise and very fatiguing to listen to at loud volume. But the Dolby Atmos track on the blu-ray sounds completely different. It's a similar situation to Tears For Fears' The Tipping Point.

After several listens in stereo, I purchased the CD/Blu-ray edition. Despite the 61 euros spent, I don't regret it a single bit, I really love the album. The mix is nothing out of this world, but it has its moments to shine. And the mastering is fine (cymbals a bit harsh perhaps), I can't stop raising the volume.
Lenticular cover is a nice gimmick and Mick, Keith and Ron's comments in the booklet are a fun (and too short) read.

LOL
Don’t you hate the games you have to play just to buy a damn album?
Yeah, I really do. The good thing is (I guess), if importCD can't kill my order and they actually ship it out..say....tonight or tomorrow AM....I can probably sell my extra copy. Maybe not what I paid, but I'm sure I can sell it.

I figure Amazon price will go back up to be honest. I mean, it's almost as if they knew importCD was now on backorder and they dropped their price to get more business away from import. That's how my warped brain works.

Was that from Amazon or a 3rd party vendor?
I only see the latter on the Amazon site now.
Not sure if this is a same-same situation but...back in 2020 I ordered Seeds of Love from Import CD's. They cancelled for some reason so I switched to Amazon, fulfilled by "OxfordshireEngland." They didn't come through either so finally got it from the Moose...For this release ICD's showed backorder and Amazon shows fulfilled by OE as the "primary" 3rd party seller... I'm giving Rarewaves a shot instead...YMMV...

Listening now to Hackney Diamonds-Dolby Atmos.
24bit/48Khz, MKV File. DR's are 11, 12's, 13's.
Pretty good. A step up from Goats Head Soup.
The surround mix is kind of a diagonal approach, I like it.
I have not listened but the 2.0 from the Blu Ray, highly compressed with 5's and 6's.
The 5.1 Blu Ray is equal to the Atmos with the higher Dynamic Range numbers.
Most importantly the songs are real good Stones songs.
R-28582702-1697965368-2528.jpg

Yeah, I really do. The good thing is (I guess), if importCD can't kill my order and they actually ship it out..say....tonight or tomorrow AM....I can probably sell my extra copy. Maybe not what I paid, but I'm sure I can sell it.

I figure Amazon price will go back up to be honest. I mean, it's almost as if they knew importCD was now on backorder and they dropped their price to get more business away from import. That's how my warped brain works.
So, importCD just canceled my order, per my request and so now I wait for Amazon. :) Amazon is $14 cheaper than importCD. Fairly unusual for a new release.

Back