Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez - I used to SO look forward to Sunday night on PBS....Monty Python. I'd memorize the skits then go to school the next day and act them out for the class.

We had it on CBC at first , but yes I to with a gaggle of frenzied bachelor friends would gather on Sunday to watch the PBS Broadcasts, and oh ya....memorize most of those skits , and hilarious English Cockney terms.

Now , Animals ? I wonder if they got around to remixing it in quad ? The time was quad ripe , for Britain that is , what with the BEEB promoting their very own quad matrix in 77/78 .

Animals in any surround will do nicely for me. I guess The Wall is mission impossible seeing as the tapes are in bad shape so Animals will be a great alternative. Pennies at the ready...
I would a million times rather have Animals in surround than The Wall, but I would also really love to have The Wall in surround. My three biggest wishes are Animals, Permanent Waves, & Joe's Garage.

All mixed by SW

If there is, it will be posted here.
I'm searching daily for any tidbits I can glean.

:)
Like you, I'm checking PF related news feeds on an almost hourly basis (well, I'm exaggerating, you know it...).
Every time PF posts something new in Facebook, I jump on my chair, like when I saw the post today related to the (in) famous pig escape over Battersea station.
I even searched Analogue Productions for hidden product codes for the SACD... but nothing so far...

Here's a new interview Nick Mason gave to Rolling Stone.
Amongst other things, he discussed the eventual release (whatever that means) of an "Animals" box set:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...dhW2WO4JIDMDfvaLtRHRVbIaOkVmG-XzSvnllwa7T2UBk

To wrap up here, are you guys ever going to release an Animals box set?
Yes. I think it will eventually happen. It’s just sort of slow because of differences of opinion about how to do it or what to put on it, but I’m sure it will eventually happen. Of all our albums that have been re-released, that’s the one that would benefit the most from a sort of reworking.
You guys were such an amazing live band, but yet there are so few live albums. I’m sure the fans would love some sort of series of archival live releases.
If we have it, I think we would release it. The problem was we just hit a period where everyone was paranoid about bootleggers and we didn’t tape shows. It’s great we did the Pink Floyd at Pompeii thing, but I’m sorry we never filmed and recorded a Dark Side, Animals or Wish You Were Here show, really.
There’s really nothing from the entire Animals tour you could put out?
No, there’s nothing. There’s certainly nothing really good, just sort of monitor mixes and so on. We really should have done the whole thing, filmed and recorded it properly.

To wrap up here, are you guys ever going to release an Animals box set?
"Yes. I think it will eventually happen. It’s just sort of slow because of differences of opinion about how to do it or what to put on it"

As I posted earlier in this thread...
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...s-from-roger-waters-himself.24798/post-397821
Petty internal squabbles seem to be delaying this one, not a change in record labels.

There's not a lot to discuss about a SACD, but I guess the SACD is linked to the release of a bigger box and that's what Nick is referring to.
In any case, not looking so good for a short term release

That's exactly what I have been predicting all along, a bigger box set with multiple CDs, Blu-Ray, and DVD, plus a single-disc SACD release from Acoustic Sounds.
What I'm curious to know is Nick says that there aren't any good useable live recordings from the tour, but did the band have special screen films for the "Animals" songs that were projected onstage during the show? If so, those screen films could be synced to the studio 5.1 & stereo mixes on Blu-Ray, just like they did for the "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" Blu-ray Discs.
@rontoon would know.

What I'm curious to know is Nick says that there aren't any good useable live recordings from the tour, but did the band have special screen films for the "Animals" songs that were projected onstage during the show?
@rontoon would know.
Unfortunately there weren't any films projected during the Animals set, only for the WYWH set and encores. Inflatables and pyrotechnics were used as the visuals for Animals.

Unfortunately there weren't any films projected during the Animals set, only for the WYWH set and encores. Inflatables and pyrotechnics were used as the visuals for Animals.

Ok, well in that case then, it looks like the only possible visuals that could be included might be footage of the album cover shoot at Battersea Power Station or maybe a new documentary on the making of the album (similar to the documentaries released by Eagle Rock for "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here")
Or it will simply be an audio-only release!

Ok, well in that case then, it looks like the only possible visuals that could be included might be footage of the album cover shoot at Battersea Power Station or maybe a new documentary on the making of the album (similar to the documentaries released by Eagle Rock for "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here")
Or it will simply be an audio-only release!

Or just create new visuals (grapics, photos, etc) but I'm assuming this would be cost prohibited.

The 1977 In The Flesh Tour was my favorite. My first ever concert was opening night in Miami and I caught an MSG show a few months later. Why I only attended 1 out of the 4 shows there is a mystery to this day especially considering that ticket prices for good loge seats were only $10.50. It would have been worth paying a scalper for a second show! Ah, the folly of youth.

Or just create new visuals (grapics, photos, etc) but I'm assuming this would be cost prohibited.

Well we do know from Roger's original interview earlier this year that Aubrey Powell has created some new images for the reissue, so maybe some new videos created around those visuals were made too.
I do have a feeling though that if the 5.1 mix is released on Blu-Ray (and honestly I don't know why it wouldn't be) then we probably won't get any visuals during the actual 5.1 surround mix itself. It will probably just be a black screen or a simple song title card like the other Pink Floyd Blu-Rays.

Back