Pioneer DV-563A firmware campaign

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bassman!

Do you mind if I take advantage of you and wait till you get your player? You could tell me if the unit works correctly and only then I'd send my player. I mean why do they ask 50 bucks only to put a CD in and check if it works. That obviously means that they're really not sure if it does. I'm a very skeptical about that shit.

Let me know what you think :)

Tcheb

I brought it in on April 15, so it may take a while, but I'll definately post my results when I get my unit back. I was never asked or told about paying for a test by anyone I dealt with, but I don't forsee any problems with the update. I was assured they have a fix for the problem, and I believe them.

Cheers,

KevinD9052 said:
Bought my player at Best Buy end of January. It was manufactured November 2003. So we are only talking a 2-3 month wait for the updated units to hit the shelves. With the February sales many units flew off the shelves at my local Best Buy. So the wait may be less. But how can you check the manufacture date without opening up the box to check out the back of the player?
I got one from the first batch in July...And I noticed that some of the wording in the intial setup menu is different from the player my friend brought in Jan. My box is gone so I don't know if the date of manufacture is on there somewhere.

p.s.
Bossman thanks for taking the first step for us 563a owners. I hope it works out for you(us).

Last edited:
FYI,

A poster on the Hoffman hardware boards in the thread "Another kick in the groin for Pioneer 563A owners" has received his unit back from Pioneer, and is happy to announce that the update has corrected the DVD-A disc problems. Good news, indeed.

BOSSMAN said:
FYI,

A poster on the Hoffman hardware boards in the thread "Another kick in the groin for Pioneer 563A owners" has received his unit back from Pioneer, and is happy to announce that the update has corrected the DVD-A disc problems. Good news, indeed.

I started that thread......good news, guess I'll see if Pioneer makes it easier for us people on the east coast to get the upgrade I still hate the idea of shipping it to Ohio.

I inquired today whether or not there has been any progress with the firmware upgrade and rfeceived the following reply from Pioneer-

"Thank you for your e-mail. In order to make it compatible with the new releases, there IS a firmware update for the DV-563A-S that addresses these issues. Unfortunately, this firmware is NOT available on CD or DVD-ROM and therefore you need to send your unit (preferable by courier or registered mail where it could be insured) directly to OUR service dept. at the address below. Please note that 2 way shipping charges are not covered by Pioneer, only the firmware upgrade is covered.

Also, please note that, although the firmware upgrade will make this unit compatible with of the Majority of the new DVD-Audio releases but not necessarily ALL new existing releases on the market.

The DV-563A-S DOES convert DSD-1 information to PCM, however it DOES this at 192kHz/24-Bit depth, which makes it transparent (i.e. undistinguishable from the "original")."

Now I'm wondering what problems will still exist after the upgrade.

bnyhof said:
Please note that 2 way shipping charges are not covered by Pioneer, only the firmware upgrade is covered.

I'm starting to think it's time for a class-action suit. The cost of shipping x the numbers of players sold. Gotta a be a lawyer who would want in on that. They sold a defective product and are trying to make all of us pay to have it upgraded to work as advertised. They hope that if we have to pay for the shipping, then we will all think it not worth it and they won't have to do the upgrades.

KW

I still have the recorded voicemail from "John from Pioneer" clearly stating that although I would be responsible for shipping the player to Ohio, Pioneer would pay the cost of having it shipped back to me. I'm going to use it if or when I send the unit back.

Today is 4/22 and I just called Pioneer. The whole call took less than five minutes. They asked me what the problem was, I told them I have a DV-563A and I am having trouble playing certain DVD-Audio discs. His response immediately was "we are aware of the problem and there is a firmware upgrade."

They took my information, serial number, etc. I'm in Buffalo so the unit needs to be sent to Ohio, I pay for the shipping to Ohio and they pay for it coming back.

I'm not thrilled with having to ship it, but at least through the members of this board and others like it, there seems to be a workable solution.

The new 3 year "Additional Firmware Limited Warranty - Home Entertainment DVD Players and Recorders" on the pioneerelectronics.com support page clearly states that "Pioneer will pay for the cost of returning the upgraded DVD Player or Recorder to you within the United States or Canada." Don't let them tell you otherwise!

For what it's worth for the Canadian contingent here, Pioneer did offer to ship it back to me on their dime after I brought my player in for the update.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who heard this. I pay to ship out;Pioneer pays to ship it back. It is a little disconcerting to hear such wide variations on the same probem from the same customer service department.

Danzig: Did they also tell you to write a brief note describing the problem?

KevinD9052 said:
Danzig: Did they also tell you to write a brief note describing the problem?

Yes. I need to write a brief note and make sure a copy of my sales receipt is included.

Much to my suprise, there was an article in the local paper yesterday entitled LOW COST PLAYERS COULD SAVE SACD, DVD-AUDIO. Written by Kevin Hunt, it goes on to descrbe the two formats and the features of the player.

Of note, he mentions that DVD-A's authored with newer software will only play in "updated" players that are on the shelf now. Current users can call a toll free number 800-421-1404 for a "software patch"!!!

"Some DV-563a owners have experienced trouble with Universal Music Group SACDs like Steely Dan's "Gaucho" that use authoring software developed after Pioneer began shipping the DVD player. Pioneer says DV-563a players in stores have been updated and that current owners can contact the company at 800-421-1404 for a software patch."

c2004 HARTFORD COURANT

Pretty amazing that this was in a mainstream newspaper!

Here's the link to the article - however you'll need to register (free) to read it (I think)

http://www.ctnow.com/technology/hc-hunt0422,0,611510.column

:-jon

I just got off the phone with Pioneer again to check the status
of my open case, and they said I was on a waiting list for a
firmware update disc, but that would likely never happen since
the solution is a firmware update, and not a software update and
she said the firmware update changes an internal integrated circuit
which can only be done at a service center in Minnesota, Ohio or
California. She did say if I took it to a local service center, they
would then ship it to CA where I wouldn't have to pay shipping,
but there aren't even any local service centers here in town.

They are going to call me back this week to see what they can do.

It almost sounded like they wanted me to exchange it where I bought it,
but I bought it online, so that's just as bad...

...someday a rain will come...

dabl said:
Just an fyi, I confirmed from the aforementioned Pioneer Service and Support number that my local authorized repair center WILL receive the bulletin and firmware update for the 563a and that they WILL be able to do the work. As per the conversation I had with Pioneer, the local repair center must be authorized to repair DVD players to get the bulletin/firmware, perhaps that's the problem.

04-27-04 Followup: as per the other recent posts from people who have spoken to Pioneer in the last week or so at 800-421-1404, according to them at this time only 5 authorized repair centers in the US can do the firmware upgrade on the 563a for whatever reason so taking the unit to my local shop which I'd previously confirmed *would* be able to do the update is out. I did call my local shop and discuss the fact that they aren't one of the five places which can do the upgrade. He said to just bring the unit in and that they would 'take care of it'. Though possibly this might save on shipping as my local place would presumeably send the unit on to wherever it needs to go as part of the Pioneer warranty service, I'd be worried about delays and potential extra costs using this method however. Plus pf course Pioneer is *not* telling me to do this.

After calling 800-421-1404,2,6,2 (new case),(phone number),1
I spoke to Andrew, who took my information (I'm in Indianapolis, IN) and gave me the name and phone number of ABL Electronics in Madison Heights, Michigan, instructing me to call them and arrange to ship the unit to them for for the firmware update. I did and spoke to Jessica. She didn't take any info but gave me the address to send the unit to and mentioned to 'send the letter from Pioneer' for warranty service else I'd be charged or have Pioneer fax the information to ABL. So, since Andrew didn't of course mentioned any such letter or fax I called back and spoke to Henry. Henry said ABL shouldn't need anything like this but that he'd ask Andrew to follow up. Low and behold I got a phone call later in the day from Faye Sterling at Pioneer (same number) telling me she had faxed information to ABL and that my case number was xxxxxxx.

I didn't confirm that there would be no charge for the update or for shipping the unit back to me but this is what I expect etc.

--Don

I didn't confirm that there would be no charge for the update or for shipping the unit back to me but this is what I expect etc.

--Don

I also called Pioneer yesterday and was told to contact ABL in Michigan, talked to Jessica, was told I need a letter from Pioneer. Called Pioneer again and Pioneer called ABL and confirmed that I didn't need a letter. I asked about shipping or a fee for the work and was told that I have to ship it there, they will do the upgrade, then they pay to ship it back. I didn't make the appointment yet {hate to give it up}. Let me know your status with ABL and if you shipped your unit.

Thanks!

I got so fed up with this bullshit that I took the law into my own hands. Went to the same retailer I'd bought my DV-563A from in January and asked 'em to get me one with the latest manufacturing date, which is printed on the box. "February 2004" it said, so I bought it. Brought it home, verified it would play the DVD-Audio titles (it did), put the "old" unit in the "new" box, sealed it up and returned it for a full refund the next day. Bada-bing! Sorry it had to go this way. Fuck Pioneer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back