Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A product description from amazon.co.uk: :)

Really how hard is this stuff. Digipaks like Depeche Mode. CD/SACD on one side, Region Free DVD-Audio/Video on the other side.

CD Stereo remix and and if time permits related singles and out-takes.
SACD layer has lossless surround remix, stereo re-mix and if time permits related singles, out-takes.

DVD-Audio layer lossless surround remix, stereo remix and if time permits related singles and out-takes.
DVD-Video layer lossy surround remix, high resolution stereo remix, related singles, out-takes vintage videos, concert clips, television lip sync, new interviews.

Is the cost of format licensing and authoring really that high, or are the product managers that oblivious? How obtuse or out of touch is a record company that refers to Dolby Digital as AC-3?

Really how hard is this stuff. Digipaks like Depeche Mode. CD/SACD on one side, Region Free DVD-Audio/Video on the other side.

SACD layer has lossless surround remix, stereo re-mix and if time permits related singles, out-takes.

DVD-Audio layer lossless surround remix, stereo remix and if time permits related singles and out-takes.
DVD-Video layer lossy surround remix, high resolution stereo remix, related singles, out-takes vintage videos, concert clips, television lip sync, new interviews.

Is the cost of format licensing and authoring really that high, or are the product managers that oblivious? How obtuse or out of touch is a record company that refers to Dolby Digital as AC-3?

The utter schizophrenia involved in the release of these pricey box sets is simply mind boggling.

Charging over $200 for what amounts to a remaster with 5.1 with LOSSY RBCDs/DVD~Vs in 2018 is incredulous.

Of course what adds immensely to the cost are those glossy oversized hardbound books.

I'm NOT buying this set. As I have the fantastic low priced [at the time] mch SACD of Avalon and the equally affordable MLP DVD~A 5.1 of Brian Ferry's Frantic in LOSSLESS codecs, I consider this SEVEN YEAR [?????] in the making vanity project a travesty.

And NO stand alone BD~A.....as Dylan once warbled: "It's all over now baby blu{e}!"

ALL Steven Wilson 5.1 remixes, IMO, deserve nothing less than a LOSSLESS physical disc treatment!

The utter schizophrenia involved in the release of these pricey box sets is simply mind boggling.

Charging over $200 for what amounts to a remaster with 5.1 with LOSSY RBCDs/DVD~Vs in 2018 is incredulous.

Of course what adds immensely to the cost are those glossy oversized hardbound books.

I'm NOT buying this set. As I have the fantastic low priced [at the time] mch SACD of Avalon and the equally affordable MLP DVD~A 5.1 of Brian Ferry's Frantic in LOSSLESS codecs, I consider this SEVEN YEAR [?????] in the making vanity project a travesty.

And NO stand alone BD~A.....as Dylan once warbled: "It's all over now baby blu{e}!"

ALL Steven Wilson 5.1 remixes, IMO, deserve nothing less than a LOSSLESS physical disc treatment!

But Ralphie...you are still missing the point...I understand people being upset about the cost...but it's the RING that people are upset about..$230 and NO RING is inexcusable...how could they...heartless bastages.....they toy with our emotions...the hearless record company moguls...it's a bitter pill to swallow my friend...but you must soldier on...fight the good fight..on to the next battle(release):)

There is strength in every facet of the Roxy music catalog. They grew, evolved, got polished, got less weird, got played more on the radio.

Tim so true. I am enjoying going through all the albums in order over past couple of days and up to "Siren" at the moment which has always been one of my fav's by them, this album is so silky smooth.

But Ralphie...you are still missing the point...I understand people being upset about the cost...but it's the RING that people are upset about..$230 and NO RING is inexcusable...how could they...heartless bastages.....they toy with our emotions...the hearless record company moguls...it's a bitter pill to swallow my friend...but you must soldier on...fight the good fight..on to the next battle(release):)

Or, the lack of a blow up doll like the one on the cover. :yikes

Well, Clint, at the rate of one ROXY remaster every seven years [:yikes], by the time they get to Avalon it'll be remixed by Steve Wilson's first cousin, Little Steffie Wilson and factoring in inflation should set us back $350US.

And IF it's glossy booklets I want, I'll just renew my subscription to National Geographic........at least it's cheap and highly topical.

And the only ringing I'm hearing is in my ear: Somewhere....someone's talking trash about me!:phones Most probably my ditzy lo~res Sis in SoCal!

Here’s my take:
Do I like the fact that the 5.1 surround mix is confined to a big, expensive box set? No.
Do I like the fact that the surround audio will only be available on a lossy format? No.

However, I’ve been waiting to hear this mix for close to three years! The mix has been sitting on the shelf for five years! So do I prefer how we’re getting this as opposed to not getting at all? Absolutely!

This box set is over-priced (currently) but it’s still full of quality material! A CD filled with unreleased demos & alternate takes/mixes plus an additional CD of their BBC sessions from that year. Then there’s the visual material on the DVD which includes some very rare live footage from that year.

I do wish they would put out a single Blu-Ray disc with the Surround & stereo mixes in high-res (not to mention I would have preferred Blu-Ray over DVD in the box set) but as long as my final price for the box set comes in around $100 or less, I’ll be very satisfied, cause I will own and enjoy this 5.1 Surround mix!

:)

[/U]

Unfortunately for me and I'm sure many others on here, most new 5.1 releases seem to be in the form of these ridiculously expensive packages. If this is what is keeping the format alive then I'm afraid I have to bow out. Artists should speak up for fans but they won't. I honestly wouldn't know where to store all the junk that comes with the surround disc if I did buy it. I CAN afford it but I have never spent over $65 on any package. My loss I guess

...LOSSY RBCDs...
Redbook CDs are, by specification and definition, lossless. I'm really tired of seeing this misinformation. Perhaps you mean it's likely the original analog masters were transferred to digital at a higher resolution? Doesn't matter: the audio on CD is still lossless, uncompressed PCM.

Redbook CDs are, by specification and definition, lossless. I'm really tired of seeing this misinformation. Perhaps you mean it's likely the original analog masters were transferred to digital at a higher resolution? Doesn't matter: the audio on CD is still lossless, uncompressed PCM.

Compared to HIGHER RES MLP DVD~A, SACD and BD~A 16 bit RBCD IS lower res IN MY BOOK ...........

Just like Analogue tape is better than Edison cylinders

DVD is better than VHS/BETA/Hi~8 /laserdisc

Blu~Ray is better than DVD

UHD 4K [w/Dolby Vision/HDR] is better than blu~ray

Etcetera, Etcetera.

Here’s my take:
Do I like the fact that the 5.1 surround mix is confined to a big, expensive box set? No.
Do I like the fact that the surround audio will only be available on a lossy format? No.

However, I’ve been waiting to hear this mix for close to three years! The mix has been sitting on the shelf for five years! So do I prefer how we’re getting this as opposed to not getting at all? Absolutely!

This box set is over-priced (currently) but it’s still full of quality material! A CD filled with unreleased demos & alternate takes/mixes plus an additional CD of their BBC sessions from that year. Then there’s the visual material on the DVD which includes some very rare live footage from that year.

I do wish they would put out a single Blu-Ray disc with the Surround & stereo mixes in high-res (not to mention I would have preferred Blu-Ray over DVD in the box set) but as long as my final price for the box set comes in around $100 or less, I’ll be very satisfied, cause I will own and enjoy this 5.1 Surround mix!

:)

Even though I'm not interested in this set...I am curious about it....I have to think that the amazon UK price is wrong...and given the past sales methods used by amazon...and the sparse offering(number of discs) in this set....that seems a given...BUT...I've never seen them be SO far off your target price of $100 or less...right now it's around $230...it could be that amazon is just testing the waters to see how many people would be receptive at that price point...it wouldn't be the first time they used this approach...because they can change that price at the last moment and they know they can pick up buyers at the last moment.....so until we see another outlet with the set...we won't know what the "real" price will be....but if you use a common sense approach...it's hard to believe the suggested price on amazon could end up being the "market price"...

Even though I'm not interested in this set...I am curious about it....I have to think that the amazon UK price is wrong...and given the past sales methods used by amazon...and the sparse offering(number of discs) in this set....that seems a given...BUT...I've never seen them be SO far off your target price of $100 or less...right now it's around $230...it could be that amazon is just testing the waters to see how many people would be receptive at that price point...it wouldn't be the first time they used this approach...because they can change that price at the last moment and they know they can pick up buyers at the last moment.....so until we see another outlet with the set...we won't know what the "real" price will be....but if you use a common sense approach...it's hard to believe the suggested price on amazon could end up being the "market price"...

If one waits long enough, I'm sure one of the discount houses will blow it out for $100 down the road [that's if any copies of this limited edition STILL exist].

Clint, I've always had the highest esteem for ALL of SW's remixes and his choice of what albums he chooses to remix but ironically, Steve's last chock~filled BD~A [To The Bone] set me back $13.99 @ AmazonUS.......a far cry from $230!

Even though I'm not interested in this set...I am curious about it....I have to think that the amazon UK price is wrong...and given the past sales methods used by amazon...and the sparse offering(number of discs) in this set....that seems a given...BUT...I've never seen them be SO far off your target price of $100 or less...it's hard to believe the suggested price on amazon could end up being the "market price"...

In the rational world this has to be $100 tops. IMHO. This is the early weird album that few casual fans ever bought. It’s not like we’re talking about a universally acclaimed pop record like Avalon here. They could get away with asking more for that popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the rational world this has to be $100 tops. IMHO. This is the early weird album that few casual fans ever bought. It’s not like we’re talking about a universally acclaimed pop record like Avalon here. They could get away with asking more for that popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granted, Tim but the set does include a 136 page Hi Gloss hardbound book printed on 170gsm* paper which I'm certain adds immeasurably to the cost. A REAL vanity project to be sure....and probably why it didn't include a BD~A/V. OVER BUDGET? :yikes

*poster quality

Back