Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Steven's Facebook page:

Roxy Music's magnificent 1972 debut will be reissued in a deluxe edition by Universal Music Group on 2nd February, including my 5.1 surround sound remixes of the album and classic non-album single Virginia Plain. This one has been a long time coming, since I completed the remix over 5 years ago, better late than never I guess! The set also includes previously unreleased demos, outtakes, radio sessions, rare footage, and a 136 page book. Far removed from the sophisticated stadium pop that Roxy would move towards later in the decade, even today their debut sounds like nothing else, an album that redefined rock music and became one of the most important and influential albums of the whole era. It was also the album that introduced Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno to the world.

Back in 2012 I also remixed the album and several out-takes in stereo, and 2 years ago 2 of these mixes were released on a record store day 10 inch single, including an extended version of Ladytron. However, please note that none of these stereo mixes are included in this new deluxe set, so hang on to that 10 inch if you have it!

Granted, Tim but the set does include a 136 page Hi Gloss hardbound book printed on 170gsm* paper which I'm certain adds immeasurably to the cost. A REAL vanity project to be sure....and probably why it didn't include a BD~A/V. OVER BUDGET? :yikes

*poster quality

As much as I joke about the accessories in these box sets...I just am not a fan of these "books"...but like any business...once some record company included one in a box set...most of them followed suit:(..and sometimes if I go to the Pink Floyd website and I happen to get on their merchandise page...wow...it's like Walmart...they have every kind of trinket you could imagine...the music has become a side business....the fact that Pink Floyd will no longer provide any new music isn't really much of an issue...of course there will be the same music recycled over and over again via the infamous cash cow..."remastered music"...I wonder how many "outtakes" and unreleased things they have to sell in the future...they probably have plenty stowed away for future...

As much as I joke about the accessories in these box sets...I just am not a fan of these "books"...but like any business...once some record company included one in a box set...most of them followed suit:(..and sometimes if I go to the Pink Floyd website and I happen to get on their merchandise page...wow...it's like Walmart...they have every kind of trinket you could imagine...the music has become a side business....the fact that Pink Floyd will no longer provide any new music isn't really much of an issue...of course there will be the same music recycled over and over again via the infamous cash cow..."remastered music"...I wonder how many "outtakes" and unreleased things they have to sell in the future...they probably have plenty stowed away for future...

Music 'accessories,' Clint, are BIG business at any live concert venues, as well. Mugs, Tees, hoodies, key chains, the kitchen sink are all available for fans who want to pay big bucks for these items [in addition to the high cost of the concert ticket itself].

IMO, the ROXY boxset contents could've fit in hi res on one or two BD~A/Vs and a tidy little booklet could've accompanied the discs. But when you start doing photo layouts and editorial content, et alia, this adds up and I'm sure the printing costs were through the roof. Ever hear of a cheap printer?

If THIS IS the blueprint for all future ROXY 5.1 releases.....than I'm definitely OUT. Enough with the clutter. And the absence of a hi res 5.1 remaster, IMO, WAS the clincher.

IMO, the Rhino Chicago Quadio boxset was a model of perfection, at least for me. Reasonably priced and what a treasure trove of reissues all in a tidy little NO FRILLS package. Doubtful we'll ever receive all of the ROXY remasters if their first is any indication. And at that price point......for SERIOUS collectors only....and I'm NOT one of them.

Okay there’s a book so it’s $129 or $149 list. $100 seems right. All of this is early conjecture. I need to have this one so if it’s a little more I’m still in.

We all prefer the best but sometimes it’s not in the cards. It beats going without; not a hard decision if you lived this album.

This hobby started on some wobbly technology and I find that is a handy reality check as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bit the bullet and did a pre-order on the UK site (the US one is still not listed) -- interestingly, it's a lower price (exchange rate?) when you do so with a US card . . . "only" 143.32 pounds. Only.

I firmly believe this is an issue that will sell out quickly and go for astronomic prices in the near future. Well, that's my justification :rolleyes:

So...if I understand this correctly...the only involvement in this set by Steven Wilson is the DVD surround mix?

That appears to be the case.
I would love to have a 5.1 surround mix of his extended version of "Ladytron" found on the 2015 10" single.
It would also have been good if they would have included his 5.1 surround mix of Virginia Plain's b-side called "The Numberer", but it's a filler track and a pretty bad one at that (IMHO) so I'm not that upset by its exclusion.

The album and "Virginia Plain" in 5.1 surround is really all that's needed, and thankfully, that's what we are getting!

:)

This the second most depressing news of the year to me.
Second only to Jon’s since changed announcement that the site would close.

I would love to purchase this but just can’t for that much money.
Sorry to those that don’t like reading about price complaints. Just needed to vent and let this one go.

£150 at Roxy's own store:

https://roxymusic.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=34758

I don't see this coming down to a reasonable price at all.

Discussed at SDE:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...-reissued-as-a-45th-anniversary-super-deluxe/

You've spelt Disgust incorrectly! ;)

So, 3 CD's and a lossy DVD with no Blu-Ray option for this insane price. Plus, they've included an inferior 1999 master of the album (from what I've read) and haven't included any of SW's new stereo mixes of the album or extra tracks either, isn't this a total travesty for Roxy fans that have waited years for this?

I'm not a massive Roxy fan at all, but would have bought this at the right price, looks like I'm not going to become a fan either! But, just to point out, I wasn't a fan of Jethro Tull, King Crimson, XTC or Yes etc. before the re-issues but I've bought every single one of those sets. Folks really shouldn't be using the book as an excuse for the price either, there are loads of hardback books out there for reasonable prices, if SW himself can do a similar size book with 2 CD, DVD and Blu for £50 then they really have no excuse. Porcupine Tree's deluxe edition of The Incident had 12" x 12" hardback and softback books in a rigid slipcase and that was £59.99 if I remember correctly. This Roxy set makes the Rush set look like an absolute steal! Good luck to those who get fleeced!

For 199 bucks or thereabouts, you can get this with a signed print by Ferry:

https://roxymusic.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=34758&affcode=superdelux

Too late, already ordered the one on Amazon UK (at least my cc hasn't been charged until release).

Limited to 500 copies . . . probably a good investment if you have the cash!

It's not too late..just cancel the amazon order...if you are going to buy this thing.....why not get the one edition that has some added value....or are you thinking that amazon is going to drastically lower the price....

Maybe someone can provide a reasonable explanation for the exclusion of the stereo mix by Steven Wilson...I can't understand that part...it was already done and paid for...what advantage is there to not include it in the set?...anybody...

£150 at Roxy's own store:

https://roxymusic.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=34758

I don't see this coming down to a reasonable price at all.

Discussed at SDE:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...-reissued-as-a-45th-anniversary-super-deluxe/

Even our own Neil Wilkes has weighed in on SDE about the cost of the set:
3CD and a DVD for £170?
You have got to be kidding me – not even a lossless 5.1 at that price point?
Pure, unadulterated greed.
Much as I want this, I am in no way paying a penny piece over £50 at the very, very highest.

With all that said, I really don't believe we have the final answer right now in terms of price.
There's still lots of other online sites that have yet to list the box set, not to mention that amazon's prices can fluctuate a good bit between now and release day.

My "Eye in the Sky" box set started out at $130 before it dropped to $93, which is what I got it for.
My "Farewell to Kings" box set started out at $150 before it dropped to $97, which is what I got it for.
So there's still lots of time for the price to come down to a more reasonable level.
Like I always say, "Hope Springs Eternal!"

:)

Maybe someone can provide a reasonable explanation for the exclusion of the stereo mix by Steven Wilson...I can't understand that part...it was already done and paid for...what advantage is there to not include it in the set?...anybody...

The only explanation I can think of is that not all members of the group could come to an agreement about including the new stereo mix in the box set, although this is one of those records that I feel could benefit from a new Steven Wilson stereo mix (unlike "Misplaced Childhood", "A Farewell to Kings", and "The Seeds of Love")

It's not too late..just cancel the amazon order...if you are going to buy this thing.....why not get the one edition that has some added value....or are you thinking that amazon is going to drastically lower the price....

Yes :) Amazon won't charge me until the price is final. If I buy the signature package, I have to pay up-front, and as everyone is aware, Xmas bills are already stacking up (and that's just the new multi releases!).

Santa gets his prezzies first ;)

Maybe they are saving it for another set in the future so they can fleece the fans yet again! ;)

Back