Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell, all this time I've been avoiding ImportCD cause I didn't want to be charged for pre-orders. Seems like a bizarre thing to do, charge instantly for Paypal and not for credit card direct. My Paypal is linked directly to my credit card. lmao

Every place I have ordered from will charge you immediately for pay pal....the reason is it's "normally" a cash transaction...and if they don't extract it immediately there is no guarantee that it will be there when it's time to ship...

A Farewell To Kings is released again as 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe version, which contains a BluRay with a new 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson!

I know this doesn't belong in this thread, but it's a heads up, to distinguish between those mixes (maybe add the year of release to this thread?).

I saw that a week ago and "rejoiced." :banana::banana::banana:

Hopefully they will release it as a stand-alone BD-A disc, for the masses. Until that time, I'm sure a lot of us around here will be forking out hard-earned cash for that particular "Super Deluxe" edition.

If they let Steven Wilson loose with the original tapes, to "celebrate" the 40th anniversary of the subsequent albums, we should be seeing a bunch of new mixes in the next couple of years (think Tull). And, the line-up of albums would be spectacular: Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures (one can dream). He has been doing quite a bit of quality back-catalogue work with similar bands and this would just be the icing on the cake...

Even their 80's and 90's material would likely translate well into 5.1 mixes. Although there might not be a big market for those albums, they deserve to be rediscovered - keyboards and all.

Can't wait!!!

Hopefully they will release it as a stand-alone BD-A disc, for the masses. Until that time, I'm sure a lot of us around here will be forking out hard-earned cash for that particular "Super Deluxe" edition.

If they let Steven Wilson loose with the original tapes, to "celebrate" the 40th anniversary of the subsequent albums, we should be seeing a bunch of new mixes in the next couple of years (think Tull). And, the line-up of albums would be spectacular: Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures (one can dream). He has been doing quite a bit of quality back-catalogue work with similar bands and this would just be the icing on the cake...

Even their 80's and 90's material would likely translate well into 5.1 mixes. Although there might not be a big market for those albums, they deserve to be rediscovered - keyboards and all.

Can't wait!!!

I'm probably alone on this one, and I think it will never happen, but I'd love to see "Test For Echo" get the SW treatment! (my favorite "Post-Grace Under Pressure" album).

BTW, I emailed both rushbackstage.com and SRO Management asking if the Blu-Ray could be made available in a less expensive package, to which they both replied that the Blu-Ray would only be available in the super deluxe edition set.
Oh well, so much for that...

:(

Dang it. I just had a friendly whinge at rushbackstage.com too - it can't hurt. I'll let y'all know the result once they reply.

Annoying how the CDs and vinyl are available separately but not the BD. It's like making me buy a Camry, a Corolla, a motorbike and a scooter when I just want the Lexus. No I don't want fries or a dessert with that.

A Farewell To Kings is released again as 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe version, which contains a BluRay with a new 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson!

I know this doesn't belong in this thread, but it's a heads up, to distinguish between those mixes (maybe add the year of release to this thread?).

There will be a new poll thread created once the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix is released in December, and the 2011 poll thread will be re-labeled as such so that way reviews for each disc can be posted in their respective threads.

Can't wait!!!

Rush's management and their web store confirmed that the Blu-Ray will not be released outside of the super deluxe edition box set.

As for future Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes of RUSH albums, as long as the tapes are still around, give me "Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves", and that will be fine with me. Anything else is lagniappe.

:)

There will be a new poll thread created once the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix is released in December, and the 2011 poll thread will be re-labeled as such so that way reviews for each disc can be posted in their respective threads.

Awesome! A no brainer idea...considering it's a new mix....this is gonna be fun!!

Rush's management and their web store confirmed that the Blu-Ray will not be released outside of the super deluxe edition box set.

As for future Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes of RUSH albums, as long as the tapes are still around, give me "Hemispheres" and "Permanent Waves", and that will be fine with me. Anything else is lagniappe.

:)

I want Fly By Night through Counterparts. Not asking for too much, right? :)

I want Fly By Night through Counterparts. Not asking for too much, right? :)

IMHO, Signals through Clockwork Angels all contain some great tracks, but also some tracks that only die-hards really consider their cup o' tea (i.e. some "fluff", subjectively).
I would support ANY Rush surround release. So, why stop at Counterparts?! There are still great songs on T4E, VT, S&A and CA! Hell, I'd buy Feedback in surround and maybe that would help draw in fans of those songs.

IMHO, Signals through Clockwork Angels all contain some great tracks, but also some tracks that only die-hards really consider their cup o' tea (i.e. some "fluff", subjectively).
I would support ANY Rush surround release. So, why stop at Counterparts?! There are still great songs on T4E, VT, S&A and CA! Hell, I'd buy Feedback in surround and maybe that would help draw in fans of those songs.

Oh, I'd buy all of them if they were made. :) I just kinda of go from liking albums to just individual songs once we get to Test For Echo.

well. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot for not offering the SW MCH mix separately cause , as much as I like Rush, I ain't gonna spend $150 for a bluray!!!!!

Really don't care about the live stuff or vinyl or marbles, etc.

maybe they'll reconsider....

well. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot for not offering the SW MCH mix separately cause , as much as I like Rush, I ain't gonna spend $150 for a bluray!!!!!

Really don't care about the live stuff or vinyl or marbles, etc.

maybe they'll reconsider....

If they sell out the ultra mega deluxe box, it will be a moot point. They don't really care who buys the set, only that it gets bought.
It does seem like a horrible waste of resources, to send a blu-ray to some fans who are only going to want the LPs and the books, and LPs and books to those fans who will only enjoy the blu-ray, etc.
If only they could have some kind of modular system, where they have the various discs pressed, and various packaging options printed, and they throw a custom set together when you order it...

If they sell out the ultra mega deluxe box, it will be a moot point. They don't really care who buys the set, only that it gets bought.
It does seem like a horrible waste of resources, to send a blu-ray to some fans who are only going to want the LPs and the books, and LPs and books to those fans who will only enjoy the blu-ray, etc.
If only they could have some kind of modular system, where they have the various discs pressed, and various packaging options printed, and they throw a custom set together when you order it...

Or, heck.....offer the multi-channel as a download if they don't want stand-alone discs. You would start to see a dramatic increase in purchases of multi-channel downloads I might think...especially with titles like this.

For $150 one would think you'd get a marble or 2?

But...but ....Dude...you get a ring...not just any ring...this ring will put the Lord of The Rings to shame..I mean it's fit for a KING:ugham:...and get this...it even comes with a velvet pouch...yes...no kidding...an honest to goodness velvet pouch...the rumour is that the velvet came from a small village in Austria and were hand made by Trappist Monks...those same monks that brew Trappist Beer...but no beer comes with the box set...

But...but ....Dude...you get a ring...not just any ring...this ring will put the Lord of The Rings to shame..I mean it's fit for a KING:ugham:...and get this...it even comes with a velvet pouch...yes...no kidding...an honest to goodness velvet pouch...the rumour is that the velvet came from a small village in Austria and were hand made by Trappist Monks...those same monks that brew Trappist Beer...but no beer comes with the box set...

And that's where I should have drawn the line...but I didn't. :mad:@:

but is it just me or does this seem like they are trying to give this package a bit of a spin from Game of Thrones?

Back