Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you got Counterparts in my head, I decided to spin it in my car yesterday (and maybe longer - I haven't hit eject yet).
Reminds me that this is hands down the best sounding Rush album there is.
Original pressing is best, but the remasters are ok.
I haven't heard the original CD, but having previously only heard the 2004 remaster, Sean Magee's 2015 hi-res remaster was a sublime revelation. I find it hard to believe the original master could sound any better than that.

I agree that it's got the best sonics of any Rush album, but I also think it's Rush's strongest artistic statement. The lyrics are Neil at his preachy best and the music hits hard. It's my favorite Rush album.

I haven't heard the original CD, but having previously only heard the 2004 remaster, Sean Magee's 2015 hi-res remaster was a sublime revelation. I find it hard to believe the original master could sound any better than that.

I agree that it's got the best sonics of any Rush album, but I also think it's Rush's strongest artistic statement. The lyrics are Neil at his preachy best and the music hits hard. It's my favorite Rush album.

I think it is super-strong, to a point. But "Speed of Love" though? Makes me chuckle or cringe, depending on my mood. A couple of other weak choruses too.
Other than that, they keep most songs in a friendly AOR format, besides Animate, where they lead off with a chorus and Cold Fire, where they lead off with the music to the pre-chorus. If they keep this one to LP length they have an overall more solid effort. I think the LP format was just ingrained in their musical DNA. Drop Speed of Love and Everyday Glory, move Cold Fire up to where Speed of Love sat and end it on Leave That Thing Alone and we have the best Rush album evar.

I think it is super-strong, to a point. But "Speed of Love" though? Makes me chuckle or cringe, depending on my mood. A couple of other weak choruses too.

Drop Speed of Love and Everyday Glory, move Cold Fire up to where Speed of Love sat and end it on Leave That Thing Alone and we have the best Rush album evar.
"Everyday Glory" is definitely the weakest track, in my opinion, and a poor album closer (similar to how I feel about the penultimate "If Everyone Was Listening" on Supertramp's Crime of the Century; though, I admit, I'm coming around on both ?). I can see your point about "The Speed of Love," but it just doesn't bother me. I feel like it serves an important purpose in the running order.

These off-topic posts to be deleted/moved in three, two, one... [emoji6]

Either a lot of emails will result in us getting what we want (a single Blu-Ray release of "A Farewell to Kings") or maybe RUSH and their label will just say "Screw it" and not have SW remix any more RUSH albums in 5.1 surround.

It's a thin line we're walking IMHO...

Either a lot of emails will result in us getting what we want (a single Blu-Ray release of "A Farewell to Kings") or maybe RUSH and their label will just say "Screw it" and not have SW remix any more RUSH albums in 5.1 surround.

Nahhh, Rush management have always played ball...

I was thinking that as well, although ultimately this is capitalism at its finest... if they sell out we will likely get another super deluxe release; if they don’t, then maybe the next anniversary set will be smaller with more desirable configurations, or maybe there won’t be any other Anniversary releases at all. Money talks!

It does seem like it’s the MC fans who get screwed in these deals. If you just want the LPs? Fine. Just want the CDs? Fine. Want the 5.1? Gotta buy the whole shebang.

I guess the money isn’t there for selling the BluRay individually? Sad if that’s true and I guess I get it if that’s truly the case.

Still, I’m nowhere near enough of a Rush fan to spend that kind of money for a 5.1 disc. I’ve done so for a few other packages (Tusk, Mirage, Sgt Pepper). This won’t be one of them. :(

Affordable Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes have made me a much bigger fan of 70s prog bands than I ever was at the time the music was first released. Tull, Yes, King Crimson. I guess Rush won’t be one of those either. :(

The element of this kind of scenario that strikes me as cosmically unjust, is that some of these 5.1 discs are going to end up on rich fans' shelves, never to be played.
Those fans that can afford multiple VIP shows per tour and can always get the mega-deluxe whatever of their favorite band.
Good for them, of course, I just wish there were a more modular way to get the entertainment to those who would truly enjoy it.

I agree...and there could be another unintended consequence...a form of collateral damage...some ill advised fans thought it was a good idea to drag Steven Wilson into this "request" for a standalone blu ray...I'm sure their intentions were good...but he has already mentioned "fan demands" in one of his interviews...I think people have to realize that any type of backlash affects somebody like Steven Wilson....by his own admission(and his own words)he has sacrificed a lot for his career...he gave up on having a family to devote all his time to his career...next Friday Steven will be 50 years old...having starting on his career path at the age of 16... his investment is considerable....he's even mentioned that he didn't think it would take this long to reach his present level of acceptance within the music community...so as innocuous as these complaints/reguests about a standalone blu ray may seem to us....we aren't the ones that have invested a large portion of our life working on projects like this....gifted people like Steven don't revel in all the praise they receive...but they do notice the negative responses connected to their work....even though he had nothing to do with the box configuration(as this was NOT his music)...

I understand how everybody feels about having a stand alone product with the surround....or at least a CD/blu ray option...I also wish it was available...but I also understand the other side of the equation.....the record company already issued a stand alone blu ray of this title recently(2015)...so give them some credit for financing ANOTHER surround mix in such a short period of time...and speaking of the previous stand alone blu ray audio...a lot of outlets still have that one in stock...it didn't sell out...and I think by now we all should realize that most of the time surround music is not a money maker...

I would just hope that more people understand Ryan's premise....because it's true...we might win the battle(and get a stand alone blu ray of this title)but lose the war(the record company might not want to do any more mixes with Steven Wilson and avoid all the hassles)

The element of this kind of scenario that strikes me as cosmically unjust, is that some of these 5.1 discs are going to end up on rich fans' shelves, never to be played.
Those fans that can afford multiple VIP shows per tour and can always get the mega-deluxe whatever of their favorite band.
Good for them, of course, I just wish there were a more modular way to get the entertainment to those who would truly enjoy it.

Oh those wealthy tyrants..they suck out all the life from us...they rob us of our pleasures...our youth...just sucks...whenever I have to face the disappointments of "wealth induced" trauma...I play this video in sharp defiance

[video=youtube;Xdyo1lwu8WU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdyo1lwu8WU[/video]

Oh those wealthy tyrants..they suck out all the life from us...they rob us of our pleasures...our youth...just sucks...whenever I have to face the disappointments of "wealth induced" trauma...I play this video in sharp defiance

[video=youtube;Xdyo1lwu8WU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdyo1lwu8WU[/video]

Don't get me wrong - not putting down people with the disposable cash. I wish I was one! It's just the situation. I wonder about how many MC discs are sitting out there, lonely, unloved, unplayed, in some dark, cramped case of some kind, never to be truly appreciated. Meanwhile, there are those who would be loving the hell out of it, if they could.

Someone recently told me how many copies of KCrimson's ITCOTCK DVD-A/CD (SW's MCH mix) have been sold so far and I was FLABBERGASTED!!!!

So, knowing how loyal Rush fans are, I'm sure they could press some extra BDs and still have them sell out.. If they don't want to they are just missing out on some more extra cash....even a 3K run will sell like hotcakes...

Don't get me wrong - not putting down people with the disposable cash. I wish I was one! It's just the situation. I wonder about how many MC discs are sitting out there, lonely, unloved, unplayed, in some dark, cramped case of some kind, never to be truly appreciated. Meanwhile, there are those who would be loving the hell out of it, if they could.

Lonely and unloved...whoa...I didn't see that coming...we are talking about those shiny discs aren't we...and for the record..wealthy people don't have dark cramped cases...and btw...I love that "modular way" description in your previous post...totally tubular in a So Cal sorta way(y)

You're thinking waaaaaay too much about this.

Given that the release date is so soon, these box sets are likely already in production. If I were the record company, I would give absolutely no hint of any future stand alone blu-ray release, but I would take note of all the email requests. Then, if the big super deluxe sells out, I would release the stand alone AFTER the ENTIRE series of big boxes sold out (if you release the stand alone after the first big box, you’re unlikely to sell as many big boxes of future releases in the series). As a consumer, I’m not willing to wait or gamble on this occurring, so I’m buying the big boy. I do HOPE that it happens, though, for everyone’s sake!

Given that the release date is so soon, these box sets are likely already in production. If I were the record company, I would give absolutely no hint of any future stand alone blu-ray release, but I would take note of all the email requests. Then, if the big super deluxe sells out, I would release the stand alone AFTER the ENTIRE series of big boxes sold out (if you release the stand alone after the first big box, you’re unlikely to sell as many big boxes of future releases in the series). As a consumer, I’m not willing to wait or gamble on this occurring, so I’m buying the big boy. I do HOPE that it happens, though, for everyone’s sake!

To us it's a hobby we love...for the record company it is a business...to Rush it's a little of both elements...Rush is an established band and have reaped the reward$ of their efforts..they aren't some cash strapped start up band...and I think the band has heard the complaints about the quality of their audio from their fan base and they want better results...I would think they approached Mercury about having a new surround mix by Steven and perhaps the only way the record company was willing to spend more money was to include it in the "super" deluxe box set...when you think about it...it probably wasn't an easy sell....considering the less than stellar sales of the stand alone blu ray from 2015...just speculation on my part...but I seriously doubt the record company thought of a new surround mix...

I just hope it sells enough to warrant more SW involvement in the Rush catalog....

Someone recently told me how many copies of KCrimson's ITCOTCK DVD-A/CD (SW's MCH mix) have been sold so far and I was FLABBERGASTED!!!!

So, knowing how loyal Rush fans are, I'm sure they could press some extra BDs and still have them sell out.. If they don't want to they are just missing out on some more extra cash....even a 3K run will sell like hotcakes...

Ok Kap'n....give us the number...you don't have to give up the source...just the number:slap:

Back