Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to think what I might feel if SW continues to make 5.1 surrounds of the Rush catalog knowing that it's only available in expensive box-set. I suffer from enough frustration right now...:mad:

This thread reminded me today that I did a cover of Closer to the Heart a while back for a contest. There are tidbits from a couple of other Rush songs snuck in there too.
It's a very different arrangement from the original. I thought about including it on my album Disturbing the Universe, but didn't have a chance to look in to licencing costs, etc.
I think it would sound awesome in surround someday. Anyway, if anybody has time to listen to this stereo version, enjoy!

Mike Vieira - Closer to the Heart Cover streaming on soundcloud

This thread reminded me today that I did a cover of Closer to the Heart a while back for a contest. There are tidbits from a couple of other Rush songs snuck in there too.
It's a very different arrangement from the original. I thought about including it on my album Disturbing the Universe, but didn't have a chance to look in to licencing costs, etc.
I think it would sound awesome in surround someday. Anyway, if anybody has time to listen to this stereo version, enjoy!

Mike Vieira - Closer to the Heart Cover streaming on soundcloud

Very nice Mike. I like it. :)

I'll ask if I can divulge it but you guys would guess my source and part of this is confidentiality...
anyway...it's WAY more that what I'd imagined....

I would tend to think that the King Crimson sets have overall sold in sufficient numbers to keep'em comin'
I can't think of any other band that has had so many Super Deluxe Editions so to speak.

Lots of factors but still...

Sales figures are known for every album. Billboard publishes them every week right down to the single digit.

But how many copies an album sells of a 5.1 mix on a certain format—-this cannot be publicly divulged?

Not really buying it.

And - that is the reason they don't list sales figures. :banana:

One man on here that could answer that question is Brian Moura...

Well clearly they choose not to release the numbers and they are their numbers to release or not, but the reasons for it? Hard to see how they are anything more than rather arbitrary

Generally speaking, the entertainment industry is more public about such figures than any other. We know how much movies gross, what they cost to make, what the actors were paid. I know the new P!nk album sold 480,000 copies last week.

All most of us here are ever asking for is some better understanding of why we get neglected. All they would have to do is say “it cost us X to lease to the quad mix or put out a separate BluRay and we only sold Y extra copies because of it” and most of us would say “OK. That makes sense”. Instead we bitch and moan because we don’t know the numbers and then it gets to point where we are even afraid to ask for a separate release for fear that too much asking might piss someone off and they’ll never release another BluRay again out of spite or some such?

Geez. Just tell us the last one only moved 600 copies or whatever. Maybe if we had that sort of info we’d either stop asking or be able to help out more.

Well clearly they choose not to release the numbers and they are their numbers to release or not, but the reasons for it? Hard to see how they are anything more than rather arbitrary

Generally speaking, the entertainment industry is more public about such figures than any other. We know how much movies gross, what they cost to make, what the actors were paid. I know the new P!nk album sold 480,000 copies last week.

All most of us here are ever asking for is some better understanding of why we get neglected. All they would have to do is say “it cost us X to lease to the quad mix or put out a separate BluRay and we only sold Y extra copies because of it” and most of us would say “OK. That makes sense”. Instead we bitch and moan because we don’t know the numbers and then it gets to point where we are even afraid to ask for a separate release for fear that too much asking might piss someone off and they’ll never release another BluRay again out of spite or some such?

Geez. Just tell us the last one only moved 600 copies or whatever. Maybe if we had that sort of info we’d either stop asking or be able to help out more.

Don't take this the wrong way as it's not directed toward you in a personal way...but when you say that "all most of us here are ever asking for is some better understanding of why we get neglected"....that's just not true...most of us know WHY there aren't more 5.1 releases...it's just that a lot of us don't want to accept the reasons....most of the time they don't generate enough revenue to be profitable...the disc format...in general(even with the resurgence of vinyl) is on life support and the surround market(if you can even call it that now) is SO tiny it's not relevant...we watched Marshall from Audio Fidelity try his best to make a go of it...and he's a true "music guy"....not some bean counter....and he couldn't do it...we got an inside look from Brian Moura of all the obstacles and costs associated with license fees and the numerous problems with pressing plants for physical discs...

It's just as simple as that...I'm a diehard disc format guy who hates downloads and will hold out as long as I can.....but I understand why most companies are moving away from them...it's just not profitable...and if the only way these "audiophile" surround recordings can exist is in the form of expensive box sets...that is the new reality...because in the future they won't even be offered...

Don't take this the wrong way as it's not directed toward you in a personal way...but when you say that "all most of us here are ever asking for is some better understanding of why we get neglected"....that's just not true...most of us know WHY there aren't more 5.1 releases...it's just that a lot of us don't want to accept the reasons....most of the time they don't generate enough revenue to be profitable...the disc format...in general(even with the resurgence of vinyl) is on life support and the surround market(if you can even call it that now) is SO tiny it's not relevant...we watched Marshall from Audio Fidelity try his best to make a go of it...and he's a true "music guy"....not some bean counter....and he couldn't do it...we got an inside look from Brian Moura of all the obstacles and costs associated with license fees and the numerous problems with pressing plants for physical discs...

It's just as simple as that...I'm a diehard disc format guy who hates downloads and will hold out as long as I can.....but I understand why most companies are moving away from them...it's just not profitable...and if the only way these "audiophile" surround recordings can exist is in the form of expensive box sets...that is the new reality...because in the future they won't even be offered...

Well, I think we all understand the basics---that they don't sell enough copies. I'm just saying that if we had more specifics maybe we wouldn't risk offending the powers that be with so many whiny emails. And maybe---big maybe here---all work together towards a better solution.

All of us (I think) are smart enough to understand that the numbers are the numbers. But being informed with the numbers, we'd all be much more understanding about the realities and adapting. I don't care for downloads either, but if that becomes to only way to get the mixes I prefer, I'll gladly learn to love them. If the reality is that the only way they can make providing a 5.1 mix to work is to have an engineer who loves the music work for below the going rate, have the band chip in for some of the cost and include it as a bonus feature on an expensive box set, then fine. But then just say so. But it still seems to me that once that mix is completed that selling it online to the people not willing to shell out for the box set would work. But if it doesn't? Fine. Explain that too.

I get that AF didn't sell enough of the Quad discs to make it work for them. Obviously. But at the same time, since they were produced in a limited quantity and so many of them sold out---how was it that it actually didn't work out? Were they hoping for 2nd runs? Did they have to move a bunch of the stock at a discount?

But then we hear 'rumors' that certain titles sold really, really well. Either in spite of or because of the 5.1 mixes being included? Who knows? It's all a big secret that people who actually buy the stuff are not allowed to know. We're not worthy. Us knowing will just make matters worse apparently. And don't dare ask. That will risk only making matters worse and they maybe won't even want to give us the scraps they feed us now.

We are a small but loyal niche. Most of us only want to find a way to make things work. These reissues and big box sets are only for a small niche audience as it is. If there will never be a separate release of the 5.1 either in physical form or download, then fine. Be up front with us and say that it can't be done for whatever the reason and we will all be understanding and adjust accordingly. Which has got to be better for all involved---including the label---then for us to sit here wondering and hoping that maybe there will be another release someday if only.....

We are a small but loyal niche. Most of us only want to find a way to make things work. These reissues and big box sets are only for a small niche audience as it is. If there will never be a separate release of the 5.1 either in physical form or download, then fine. Be up front with us and say that it can't be done for whatever the reason and we will all be understanding and adjust accordingly. Which has got to be better for all involved---including the label---then for us to sit here wondering and hoping that maybe there will be another release someday if only.....

There’s no harm in asking....there IS harm however with insulting and demanding. That is all.

I understand kap'n...I do...I felt the same way after achieving my Webelos badge...standing in front of my boy scout troop....those were great days in my childhood:)

Clint! My long lost Webelo\Order of the Arrow Brutha, but I think you may have confused Webelos(Cub Scouts) with Order of the Arrow(Boy Scouts). ;)
The Order of the Arrow Ordeal requires complete silence throughout the initiation.
And yes, those were great times.

Back