RUSH Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary edition (with Richard Chycki Dolby Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you find it, and do you see Rush Signals?
You have to pick a random Carly Simon album and then select the option to view more albums to see the Atmos version of No Secrets. I use the mobile app to add albums or tracks to my collection so that I have things readily accessible when playing back on my home theater system.

Rush’s Signals album doesn’t appear to be on Tidal in Atmos. In addition, the Atmos mix of the 40th anniversary edition of Moving Pictures is no longer there and I could have sworn it was in the past (unless I am confusing with Apple Music). The “regular” Moving Pictures Atmos mix is still there.

You have to pick a random Carly Simon album and then select the option to view more albums to see the Atmos version of No Secrets. I use the mobile app to add albums or tracks to my collection so that I have things readily accessible when playing back on my home theater system.

Rush’s Signals album doesn’t appear to be on Tidal in Atmos. In addition, the Atmos mix of the 40th anniversary edition of Moving Pictures is no longer there and I could have sworn it was in the past (unless I am confusing with Apple Music). The “regular” Moving Pictures Atmos mix is still there.
Are they the same mix? Thanks.

Are they the same mix? Thanks.
I think it was determined that the Atmos version with the original album cover--which became available a few months before the mega box set--was some kind of upmix/manipulation of the 2011 5.1 mix, whereas the 40th version with the new cover is the improved 2022 mix. An easy giveaway you're listening to the 2022 mix is the synth that hops around the height channels at the beginning of "Vital Signs".

I think it was determined that the Atmos version with the original album cover--which became available a few months before the mega box set--was some kind of upmix/manipulation of the 2011 5.1 mix, whereas the 40th version with the new cover is the improved 2022 mix. An easy giveaway you're listening to the 2022 mix is the synth that hops around the height channels at the beginning of "Vital Signs".
Concur

There is only one Atmos version on Tidal (with the original album cover): https://tidal.com/browse/album/224207249
I listened to this one many weeks ago, and I can't remember how it sounds. However, it didn't strike me as being a great surround experience. Would this be the enhanced 5.1 mix?

There is only one Atmos version on Tidal (with the original album cover): https://tidal.com/browse/album/224207249
I listened to this one many weeks ago, and I can't remember how it sounds. However, it didn't strike me as being a great surround experience. Would this be the enhanced 5.1 mix?
I'm pretty sure that is the version I listened to last night and I thought it was great. Much better than the 5.1 which is average at best. I isolated the top channels and the synth certainly moves around the speakers on Vital Signs. Geddy's voice is up top too, and very clear, not ambiance.

Moving Pictures for $127US on amazonUS today…

Limited-time deal: Moving Pictures (40th Anniversary)[Super Deluxe 3CD/5LP/Blu-Ray] https://a.co/d/iVkonYr

Attachments

• IMG_1719.png
    IMG_1719.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Moving Pictures for $127US on amazonUS today…

Limited-time deal: Moving Pictures (40th Anniversary)[Super Deluxe 3CD/5LP/Blu-Ray] Amazon.com: Moving Pictures (40th Anniversary)[Super Deluxe 3CD/5LP/Blu-Ray]: CDs & Vinyl

My favorite album of all time and also one if the first surround containing boxes I said no to due the high price, gimmicks (a car?, I'd rather have scarfs, marbles, or coasters) and loads of useless vinyl. OK, I"m in. It will probably drop another $20 tomorrow.

Ordered early this morning.. I had been tracking this for a while now! Also got the Signals box last week when it was on sale. Amazon & Rush have my $$ now. Hope they put it to good use. Me, I have no clue what I am going to do with the vinyl.
PULL!!!! BANG
PULL!!!! BANG
PULL!!!! BANG
1690918379190.png

Last edited:
Well I knew better. I've heard these 'novelty' Rush remixes from this guy before. Had to check out the 7.1.4 mix anyway though. Maybe some of the kind reviews were right and this would be an outlier?

It immediately sounded like mostly a stereo mix playing in the next room. Subdued and slathered in awkward reverb. I got half way through Tom Sawyer. Put on the HD 24/96 release of the original stereo mix that immediately sounded alive and full fidelity and wiped the floor with this. Ended up listening to the original stereo for the album.

These Chicky mixes are far from the worst mixes I've heard. The original Rush mixes in stereo happen to set a high bar and these novelty remixes don't come close. The original stereo is much more immersive than this and much higher fidelity and all the balances are very on point. You don't get distracted by anything - it's just Rush! It's all relative. There are a couple Hawkwind albums where this level of remix would be the greatest upgrade in the world! (Love them to death but some of their albums ARE some of the worst mixes I've ever heard.)

Still overjoyed we got A Farewell To Kings at least! Wish there was more like that.

Well I knew better. I've heard these 'novelty' Rush remixes from this guy before. Had to check out the 7.1.4 mix anyway though. Maybe some of the kind reviews were right and this would be an outlier?

It immediately sounded like mostly a stereo mix playing in the next room. Subdued and slathered in awkward reverb. I got half way through Tom Sawyer. Put on the HD 24/96 release of the original stereo mix that immediately sounded alive and full fidelity and wiped the floor with this. Ended up listening to the original stereo for the album.

These Chicky mixes are far from the worst mixes I've heard. The original Rush mixes in stereo happen to set a high bar and these novelty remixes don't come close. The original stereo is much more immersive than this and much higher fidelity and all the balances are very on point. You don't get distracted by anything - it's just Rush! It's all relative. There are a couple Hawkwind albums where this level of remix would be the greatest upgrade in the world! (Love them to death but some of their albums ARE some of the worst mixes I've ever heard.)

Still overjoyed we got A Farewell To Kings at least! Wish there was more like that.
I will just say that I thought the Tom Sawyer mix was the worst of the bunch. Every other song on the album sounded better to me with more discreet mixes.

I already subscribe to Apple Music, is the difference with the ATMOS mix on the blu-ray worth getting with the current Amazon price (~127US)?)

Edit: had an Amazon gift card and some Chase points so got MP and Signals for $222 all in.

Last edited:
This is such a shame. Rush has been my favorite band for 42 years. I first heard "Tom Sawyer" on the radio on 96 Rock in Atlanta. Changed my life. Why the continue to use Rich Chycki for the these remixes baffles me. He was responsible for the garbage sound on the Rush in Rio BD. I think he and Alex are buddies, but it makes me question Alex's hearing. At one time I would buy anything Rush put out, but I am done with that. Thankfully, I bought the AFtK Steven Wilson disc.

Am I still the only person holding out for a stand-alone blu-ray? I purchased the Who's Next box for the blu-ray with the Steve Wilson Atmos mix, but there is no way I am purchasing this massive box only for the blu-ray!
No you're not the only one... But I don't think it's ever going to happen. Same with Signals...

Am I still the only person holding out for a stand-alone blu-ray? I purchased the Who's Next box for the blu-ray with the Steve Wilson Atmos mix, but there is no way I am purchasing this massive box only for the blu-ray!
I'm not holding out, I just said to myself that it's never going to happen and I'm never going to get, period.

Back