SDE Exclusive #14: Trevor Horn

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if this forum had a “family crest” it would need to include someone standing on a stool listening to a height speaker to confirm if sufficient sound is coming out.

I think most of us have been there... multiple times.

Wow, not good.
That would be a bonafied reason for a reissue if I ever heard one.
I mean nothing at all in heights.
I like the songs, the 5.1, the fidelity, the mix, but I paid for Atmos and this is not.
How do you know? If no material was recorded up there, then it would be accurate.

How do you know? If no material was recorded up there, then it would be accurate.
Nothing in a pop production is "recorded" in the height channels; it's just mixed there. The principle of Dolby Atmos is that the height channels should be used. When a mix advertised as Atmos does not use those channels, it essentially classifies as false advertising, even if technically delivered in that format.

@PaulatSDE
Hi Paul, thanks in advance for your series, they are so special and so many of us on QQ find them so enjoyable.
More TYA, sorry side note.

I am hoping you read this in regards to Trevor Horn SDE #14.
The Dolby Atmos mix is non existent in the heights, albeit a Dolby Atmos signal. I would expect this in streaming (Apple & Tidal) versions, as it often happens, but rarely in hard disc versions.
Of all my 15 SDE series hard discs this #14 is the only one that has inactive heights.
The music, vocals & instrumentals, in the 5.1 surround bed is excellent.

We on QQ, but I will speak for myself, are wondering the reason, a problem at the disc making factory, a unnoticed issue at mastering, Trevor Horn actually only wanted a tinkle in the heights, even though it is less than a tinkle, more accurate is a nothing?

I love you and what you do, just curios I am, if it is as it supposed to be, I am fine with it, the 5.1 is great.

I also understand if you would prefer not to answer.

Why would you expect a different Atmos mixing philosophy for streaming delivery versus discs?
I probably won’t give you a satisfactory answer as you are more educated than I am.
I probably used the wrong word, expect, I should have said sometimes the Atmos in the heights is not that good on streaming versions.
I hope my answer is ok for you Jonathan as I am unable to discuss any further.

I listened to this album today in Atmos on Amazon Music Unlimited, and I think it sounds awesome - very immersive in the heights. I was getting ready to order the Blu-Ray from SDE and started reading the reviews in the QQ Poll and here. Glad I checked before ordering!
For those with the Blu-Ray disc, have you tried listening to the streamed version in Atmos?
How does the streamed Atmos version sound compared to the disc? Does it also lack in the heights?

I listened to this album today in Atmos on Amazon Music Unlimited, and I think it sounds awesome - very immersive in the heights. I was getting ready to order the Blu-Ray from SDE and started reading the reviews in the QQ Poll and here. Glad I checked before ordering!
For those with the Blu-Ray disc, have you tried listening to the streamed version in Atmos?
How does the streamed Atmos version sound compared to the disc? Does it also lack in the heights?
I've streamed this on Apple Music, no heights on my 7.4.4 setup.:(

Back