Sony SACD Car-audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better late than never... will like to know if it does also 5.1 Dolby Digital and Dts. For sure it won't do dvd-audio (guess why? :) ). Maybe Sony is starting to realize that mch does matter in car too?
Wonder why this didn't showed up in USA before.

Well, now the only things in which SACD still has to catch up with DVD-Audio is cheap multichannel home authoring, Solo-style. Will it happen someday? Will i be able to do my "personal" sacd collection, both from analog sources or selecting the tracks that i like from my sacd, or downloading DSD stream from the internet and ready to be burned on a blank?
Time will tell. I'm not holding my breath.

Great. Can you say SIX YEARS TOO LATE!!!!! :mad:

I'll never understand Sony:confused:

Is this a good sign? Will they drop their DualDisc with low-res audio, and go back to Hybrid SA-CD releases in 2007?

As I've understood the PS3 can play SACD's, and now car-fi with SACD.

The PS3 is supposed to "save" SACD, and make "Blu-Ray" the winner of the HDV format war. The fact that it's a video game seems to get lost in the mix!

No dts... let me get this straight: it su**s. Not only too late, but crippled too.

Well, OK. Good move. Late, but good.

Now, let's get some freaking POPULAR titles out there. The Eltons, The Steely Dans, the Columbia Quads, current artists and current releases in 5.1 surround.

Because I tell you what, it's not going to be the Jazz and Classical fans who buy aftermarket radio decks to put in their cars, it's going to be the "kids", and they are not going to get into the great releases from Chesky and Telarc! The Jazz and Classical fans want this stuff installed from the factory in their BMWs, Audi's, and Porche's. :D

Does this mean that a combo player might come down the line?

Certainly not from Sony I know, but maybe Sony will allow another company to add SACD to their DVD-A headunits.

Does this mean that a combo player might come down the line?

Certainly not from Sony I know, but maybe Sony will allow another company to add SACD to their DVD-A headunits.

That could certainly happen.

After all, Sony, Philips, Linn and Teac/Esoteric among others sell CD/SACD drives to other audio companies for use in their SACD products.

I could see Sony making the sale of the chips and SACD/CD/DVD Video Car Stereo components here as another line of business.

Jon,
very good point.
We all witnessed the stellar results from Sony-related labels in providing their DualDisc with wonderful 5.1 mixes that at best make Silverline really shine... :) IMHO it's not going to happen.
Sure, good releases for us "old farts" such as Elton, MB and so on could be good for us, but without a serious bunch of currently top-100 pop/rock/r&b albums and a slew of big titles from the recent past there's no way sacd could catch up in car.
Sony targeted SACD to a different market (the big-bucks audiophile) and now is trying to enter into a totally different one without the backing of the record companies - otherwise we all would be puzzled on which 10 rock SACD to choose for the current month.
Looks similar to the "home-theater-in-a-box" with SACD playback that sony and philips did years ago: they went out to nowhere - as far as sacd playback involved - again for the lack of disc that a big bunch of people want to listen.

As for chipset, Sony isn't the only one to do them: Mediatek and Sunplus do provide sacd support on their chips.

Try to count how many pop/rock top-100 of 2006 were released in any mch format in any corner of the world. Anyone want to do such a statistic? It will clarify the reason for that failure.

What a shock! First check the calendar and it's not April 1st. Good. But its 2007 and they're only doing this important step now? For a format they quietly support but just a notch above dropping altogether? What's next a portable? :smokin:

My guess is the pricing for these 3 units is $700 - $1500; for maximum penetration as an AUDIO format, they need to juice up a $300 head unit and skip the DVD crap altogether.

Yes, and get back in the SACD catalog releasing business too. Overall this is a sign of good things to come as long as Sony is officially over it's cold feet.

Oh yeah, can anybody decode this marketing gibberish:
HD World says that "SACD’s In-Car application has been a long time coming – mainly due to the lack of suitable silicon for this demanding application."

Oh yeah, can anybody decode this marketing gibberish:
HD World says that "SACD’s In-Car application has been a long time coming – mainly due to the lack of suitable silicon for this demanding application."

"We have a zillion of SACD-ready chipset and no one want them anymore so or we pollute the ocean throwing them there (and then we can be fined too), or we try to use it somewher even if no one wants it".

:D

Great. Can you say SIX YEARS TOO LATE!!!!! :mad:

That is what corporate carve-outs will get you--two formerly-aligned companies now communticating like distant stars in the nether regions of the universe. BMG-Sony Music has absolutely no clue what hardware Sony Electronics has in development and vice-versa.

Back