Sony SACD Car-audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me this SACD player do not come to the market without some marketing thoughts, but of course you have to think Japan, Germany, and classical music. Other Japanese brands like Pioneer and Denon have just released new upper-class lifestyle CD/2-channel-SACD players in Japan and Germany.
From this article, http://stereophile.com/news/012907harm/ you can also see that SACD classical releases do sell in named countries.

Good to know.
What is the % of classical sells of the whole worldwide pressing of cd? That may give a better idea of the reason for the failure.

Any update on these units? I've seen these are out in Asian and Russian market but no Europe or USA.

Sony MEX-DV1000 seems available in some markets, like Sweden. Google shows you a price of SKR 2200. The unit is listed as a Giga MP3 unit (DVD) and the price seems to compare to new JVC Giga MP3 units by first lookup, meaning the SACD functionality only has a small price impact.

Perfect! So you will have no opportunity to listen any sacd at all! :)
(Wife+daughter: the baddest combo!)

so is this unit available in the US? and will it play DTS as well as SACD Multi channel? I am confused by the article...

According to the Owners Manual, it will play multi-channel DVD-V, SACD, and DTS CDs.

On page 19:
"For playback of DVD/CD in multi-channel format (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.)..."
"For playback of the multi-channel areas of an Super Audio CD..."

You can choose 176.4 kHz or 44.1 kHz output for SACDs.

It cannot play DVD-Audio discs, but shouldn't it be able to play the DVD-V layer of a DVD-A disc?

There is an optional video monitor (not included), but it appears from the manual that you can play DVD-Video discs without the monitor.

It also has Dolby Pro Logic II for matrix surround from 2-channel sources. It can run a center-channel speaker, or create a phantom center channel.

It will also play CDs and DVD's loaded with up to 2,000 MP3 or WMA songs. It will even play karaoke discs, and has a microphone input for this purpose!

This unit is sounding pretty good. If it plays the DVD-V layer of a DVD-A disc, this is nearly a universal disc player for the car, at a cost of less than $300. That is, if you can get one in the U.S.!

so is this unit available in the US? and will it play DTS as well as SACD Multi channel? I am confused by the article...

It's now showing on the Sony U.S. Xplod Car Stereo web site. So it appears they plan to bring it here as well as Europe and Asia.

For now, there is a seller in Hong Kong (mentioned earlier) that is selling the unit via eBay.

Looks like if it really can play DTS/SACD Multi channel I might just have to take the plunge and search it out..I wonder how you put the center speaker in the car?

Looks like if it really can play DTS/SACD Multi channel I might just have to take the plunge and search it out..I wonder how you put the center speaker in the car?

Looking at the manual, the player clearly has a built-in DTS decoder and is a DTS logo'd product. But the only reference to DTS playback is in the DVD Video Playback Section (pg 24). So it plays DTS tracks on DVD Videos.

I don't know about DTS Music CDs. But there is a thread on the player over on the www.sa-cd.net web forum at http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/20986//y?page=first There they tout the player selling for under $300 U.S. and say that it does indeed play DTS 5.1 Music Discs. Hmm....

After down loading the manual for the DV2000, I discovered it doesn't do neither Bass Management nor Time Alignment for MC SACD. It does BM & TA for DD, DTS,CD, ProLogic II and low res stereo SACD, but when you switch to MC SACD, it automatically put you in the HQ mode, which switches off the BM,TA,the center phantom mode, and any equalization. What were they thinking???? What car has full size/full range speakers??????
I never bought the JVC DVD-A unit for just this reason. Guess we'll still need to wait for the car.

After down loading the manual for the DV2000, I discovered it doesn't do neither Bass Management nor Time Alignment for MC SACD. It does BM & TA for DD, DTS,CD, ProLogic II and low res stereo SACD, but when you switch to MC SACD, it automatically put you in the HQ mode, which switches off the BM,TA,the center phantom mode, and any equalization. What were they thinking???? What car has full size/full range speakers??????
I never bought the JVC DVD-A unit for just this reason. Guess we'll still need to wait for the car.

I must say that I read the manual otherwise. I see an option to select HQ or STD(CD) quality when playing multichannel SACD on page 33 in the manual, and when STD(CD) quality is selected, you can use Bass Management and Time Alignment.

I bought the MEX-DV2000 and installed it in my Chevy Colorado. Can't beat it for the price... $179.00. It decodes all my home made dts quad CDs perfectly without the need for any outboard amps. I had one of the early Sherwood dts car units and this blows it away. I haven't tried the SACD part of it yet...or the stereo CD part of it. :) The DPLII works great.

It has a weird and useless karaoke function. I also bought the iPod interface...it works and my home made DPLII encoded tracks decode nicely.

Texquad pointed me in this direction. Thanks, Texquad!

Tab,

I too went through the Sherwood DTS phase myself and there was more pain than rewards for sure. Everything has gotten so much better then. They really thought they were selling something premium; less the reliability and performance of course.

Thanks for posting the review with results; answers my questions! Going no nab one in the spring...

Tim

I bought the MEX-DV2000 and installed it in my Chevy Colorado. Can't beat it for the price... $179.00. It decodes all my home made dts quad CDs perfectly without the need for any outboard amps. I had one of the early Sherwood dts car units and this blows it away. I haven't tried the SACD part of it yet...or the stereo CD part of it. :) The DPLII works great.

It has a weird and useless karaoke function. I also bought the iPod interface...it works and my home made DPLII encoded tracks decode nicely.

Texquad pointed me in this direction. Thanks, Texquad!

Nice! They should have had these in 2000. Better late than never, I guess!

Back