Steve Hackett - The Circus And The Nightwhale (CD/5.1 BD-A 2/16/2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to add I listened to the CD today in the package for the first time and preferred that to the surround mix not sure why.
Interesting. I haven't listened to the cd yet. I've heard the bluray 3 times now. I like the music and the surround mix still sounds good to me. Stuff in the rears most of the time, (backing vocals, instrumentation, sound effects), and some nice surround panning in places. A better mix than Hackett's studio albums normally are, and the surround is good enough to be recommended.

I heard a track thanks to a bud in....well across the pond. Hopefully the full album will bring some enlightenment. His seemingly regular Genesis gigs are always good, great band. His work with Djabe and Djabe themselves outstanding.
Hackett's playing is always top notch and he hasn't lost a step in his later years. Content on the new album....well we'll see.

What is a nightwhale?
I had wondered about that as well! Seems an ancient obsolete term - I'm not paying the Oxford English Dictionary a subscription fee to find out what exactly though, its not worth it as they are wrong, as I also found this children's book! :LOL:
1708356905737.png
1708357125877.png

Interesting. I haven't listened to the cd yet. I've heard the bluray 3 times now. I like the music and the surround mix still sounds good to me. Stuff in the rears most of the time, (backing vocals, instrumentation, sound effects), and some nice surround panning in places. A better mix than Hackett's studio albums normally are, and the surround is good enough to be recommended.
I completely agree, I've had this on repeat and I am throughly enjoying it.
So much so that I reckon its one of Steve's better releases.
It not going to be aka Wilson or Soord in its mixing style but nonetheless its a fair attempt by Roger.
And as Steve says in his notes, Roger's orchestral arrangements are very good.

A very satisfying album and mix.

Steve Hackett is putting out some great, fun, inventive well-produced albums. Good on him! How lucky are we for that.

And on the mix itself, once I believe many of us would have thought this was terrific, scoring it high, but today we have a number of immersive audio engineers in the world who have grown to become quite spectacular. Yet still, even up against their wonderful output, I think this is still a very satisfying mix.

(My first comment in a long time. I have been unwell, but am better now.)

Last edited:
Back