Tears for Fears-Songs From The Big Chair - HiRez 5.1!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I missed the confirmation on this......does anyone "in the know" actually know what the 2 Disc Deluxe Edition of this will be? DVD-A I am hoping, but my guess is the original remixed LP and a disc of extras. John

Maybe I missed the confirmation on this......does anyone "in the know" actually know what the 2 Disc Deluxe Edition of this will be? DVD-A I am hoping, but my guess is the original remixed LP and a disc of extras. John
From superdeluxe editions

DISC TWO – Edited Songs From The Big Chair (this is second CD in the 2CD deluxe)

01. THE WAY YOU ARE : 4:49
02. MOTHERS TALK – Single Version : 3:53
03. SHOUT – Single Version : 5:58
04. EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD – Single Version : 4:14
05. HEAD OVER HEELS – Remix : 4:15
06. I BELIEVE (A Soulful Re-Recording) : 4:39
07. EVERYBODY WANTS TO RUN THE WORLD : 4:30
08. THE WAY YOU ARE – Short Version : 4:21
09. MOTHERS TALK – U.S. Remix : 4:14
10. SHOUT – U.S. Single Version : 4:51
11. EVERYBODY WANTS TO RUN THE WORLD – Running Version : 4:30
12. HEAD OVER HEELS – Radio Version : 4.20
13. MOTHERS TALK – Video Version : 4:14
14. SHOUT – Short Version : 4:03
15. LISTEN – Clean Intro : 6:52
15. INTERVIEW WITH CURT & ROLAND : 7:35

There is a standalone blu ray BUT the big question is whether it's in 5.1...HERE HERE

Check out the description of the various versions HERE

I'm getting the feeling that to get the surround version we might have to get the 6 disc set..Jon mentioned the surround was on a DVD..and that appears to be only available in the box set....I hope I'm wrong...the standalone blu ray just seems too good to be true...I'll do it...but I'll hold my nose during the process

Let's clear this up then.
The HFPA contains Steven's excellent stereo & 5.1 mixes. Stereo is 24/96 LPCM, 5.1 is defaulted to DTS-HD but does have an LPCM stream as well.
Streams are switchable on the fly using the coloured buttons on the remote and the disc will run completely headlessly (defaults to 2014 mixes) as the bonus stream - the Original Mix - can be accessed from the remote too as well as the individual tracks from the remote numbers, just like regular CD.
I have no knowledge of release date on the standalone HFPA but can assure you that there are 3 mixes included.

In the box, there is a full DVD-A/V with pretty much the same content as the HFPA disc - the original stereo/2014 stereo/surround mixes in MLP Lossless plus original stereo/new stereo in 24/96 LPCM & the surround in DTS 9624.
The DVD-V contains scads of stuff. There is the "Scenes From The Big Chair" documentary & the interview with album producer Chris Hughes (both previously available) and additionally there are all the known (and a couple that were thought lost) Promo films from the album including no fewer than 3 different films of "Mothers Talk" (and the US mix is enormously different too) and the Sport Aid film "Everybody Wants To Run The World".
Video presentation is what it is, so before anybody complains that a couple of the films are smaller than they might be, please remember these were letterboxed in a 4:3 frame & there is sod all I can do about it unless budgets start to run to printing a film from U-matic tape sources (AKA "Pro VHS" if that's not an oxymoron) and then scanning in that negative then blowing up digitally would be the only option & that would look substantially worse, believe me. Most are in 4:3 full frame and will be pillarboxed on a 16:9 display so the "Danny DeVito Effect" is not possible. Audio content is 24/48 LPCM for these films.
Also included are a stack of BBC-TV appearances too - mainly TOTP but also a couple from the old "Wogan" show (trivia guide - the old BBC theatre, where that show was filmed, is now the Shepherds Bush Empire) and these are in 16/48 as we had run out of space on the DVD by this time and 24-bit did not fit.

Back to the stuff we are all interested in - the 5.1 mix. I have no idea how he does it, but yet again Steven Wilson has nailed it - he just keeps on getting better & better at this, and hearing this album in 5.1 really does it justice in so many ways - the whole room is filled during "I Believe", and this is no mean feat considering it's Piano/Vocal. Superb.

Back to the stuff we are all interested in - the 5.1 mix. I have no idea how he does it, but yet again Steven Wilson has nailed it - he just keeps on getting better & better at this, and hearing this album in 5.1 really does it justice in so many ways - the whole room is filled during "I Believe", and this is no mean feat considering it's Piano/Vocal. Superb.
I can't agree more!!! This is one NOT TO MISS!!!

Upon hearing of this release, I am incredibly envious of SW.

I pre-ordered the Blu-ray Audio from Burning Shed just a few minutes ago. It was a tough decision between that and the 'Deluxe' box set. I didn't want CD's or DVD's. Plus, I already have the Japanese SHM-CD 2010 release with bonus tracks. I can't wait for "The Seeds Of Love" but can see why this will be issued first.

I'll never forget the time I saw "Tears For Fears" in concert. It was during the "Elemental" tour. So, it was only Roland and band. It was a really good show and Roland was in top form vocally. I already purchased the CD and knew what to expect with the new songs. The funny thing is, I went to the concert, not to see "Tears For Fears" but their opening act "Jellyfish". It was to promote the "Spilt Milk" album. That, too, was very good and it was the first time I ever watched a drummer through the entire show sing and play drums while standing. Now, that was a short lived band that broke up too soon!

I just realised that Seeds of Love was a UK #1 in1989. So that must be the other SW mix. I don't mind that at all over Misplaced Childhood.

From Tapatalk

I've gone for the BD-A from Burning Shed - I've got rather too many box sets in the last few months.:) After NW's post this should be a good one :banana:

I'm a little on the fence here. $25 for the BD-A is very reasonable, though I'd rather have a DVD-A. The delta to get the deluxe box is less than $30, and it seems like you get a lot for the added $$$. But shelf space is at a premium! And I have hardly delved into any of the items in my Quadrophenia, Aqualung, DSOTM or Layla boxes other than the surround discs!

Let's clear this up then..........Back to the stuff we are all interested in - the 5.1 mix. I have no idea how he does it, but yet again Steven Wilson has nailed it - he just keeps on getting better & better at this, and hearing this album in 5.1 really does it justice in so many ways - the whole room is filled during "I Believe", and this is no mean feat considering it's Piano/Vocal. Superb.

Thanks Neil. No one can clear things up like you can, and it's really hard to hold one's tongue when we see discussion in the forum and want to scream out information that we cannot disclose yet.

And yes, "I Believe" is an incredible 5.1 listen, worthy of the price of the disc alone. To borrow a word misused by Silverline, it honestly is "Stunning". Oh crap, I Believe I used Silverline in a post about high quality surround music. I Believe I must insane! :mad:@:

Im envious of Jon!!!!! Dont let us feeling anxious!!!!!
Thanks Neil. No one can clear things up like you can, and it's really hard to hold one's tongue when we see discussion in the forum and want to scream out information that we cannot disclose yet.

And yes, "I Believe" is an incredible 5.1 listen, worthy of the price of the disc alone. To borrow a word misused by Silverline, it honestly is "Stunning". Oh crap, I Believe I used Silverline in a post about high quality surround music. I Believe I must insane! :mad:@:

So great to hear these early reviews, though, I'm not at all surprised that Mr. Wilson has done an amazing job once again! Can't wait!!!

Back