'The Beatles' (White Album) [50th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-ray Disc!]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just listened to the complete WHITE ALBUM tonight via my USB stick 24/44.1 version as played through my Meridian SooLoos via my Meridian 861 v.6 pre/pro in SUPER mode [Meridian's version of hyper synthesized discrete].

My Impressions: LOVED the entire album and even Revolution No. 9 as played through the Super DSP mode was.....well, indulgent and hyper discrete.....but hey, it WAS the early 70's. Sound~wise, it was compressed but then I lowered the volume 1 notch [from 66 to 65] which did alleviate the shrillness...a bit. But I really DO believe the absolute masters were NOT touched.......that the USB stick was probably derived from a 192/24 1:1 from the original masters and the 192 oversampling rate was downsampled to 44.1 to accommodate all those 17 Beatles albums on 1 USB stick.

I wonder aloud whether DSD 256 [QUAD DSD] from the ORIGINAL master tapes has ever been attempted and if so, how it would compare with the PCM masters.

I do NOT recall any shrillness nor compression while listening to the same tracks via the LOVE album. Those cuts remain smooth as silk........and without ever being privy to hearing the absolute masters, it would seem that ONLY Sir George himself knew what they sounded like and attempted to replicate that exact sound when remixing the LOVE album.....something I DO hope Giles replicates when doing The White Album's 5.1 [and Dolby Atmos] remixes.

A reverie of mine....I wish Sir George himself had remixed the entire Beatles catalogue in 5.1. I think they would've been, in a word, DEFINITIVE!

Last edited:
One of my very favorite Lennon songs.
it's a "Libra" song.. trust me , I was with an Oct 9th Libra (same day as Lennon and The Ox) for 20 years, and it's uncanny ...yeah that Astrology crap..a bunch of hooey...a..HA!!!
(Libras LOOOOVE their sleep!!)

All of you guys wanting to edit down The White Album are crazy. I probably first discovered this album in the mid-80's right about the time I started discovering getting high. To me, this album is probably their most heavy-duty masterpiece. I couldn't imagine losing one single song. The entire album is a complete experience. A few years later I discovered psychedelics and began to really even appreciate Revolution #9. From my particular point of view, this is right up there as one of their very best albums, beginning to end. Heck, it's their only original double album, ain't it? How could someone not appreciate The Beatles, running wild and free?!

The Sgt.Pepper boxset is still in the $114~125 ball park so expect to pay MORE for The White Album.

To an extent it is apples and oranges (no pun intended) but you are likely correct. They could take it in any direction they wanted. They could go G'n'R Appetite crazy and do things like include hand screened lithos of the four photos and turn every picture on the poster into a series of probably 30-40 individual trading cards with embossed serial numbers and photo history on the reverse of each one. They could include a glass apple and a glass onion paperweights (the onion could have a prizm in the center so you really are "looking through a Glass Onion"), maybe they could throw in a stuffed Martha and a Rocky Raccoon (I know, the song wasnt about an actual Raccoon, but this is merchandising, not history). They could press four vinyl records at 45 RPM. They could make a crazy, no expense spared collectors box. Or they could (in keeping with the original plain jacket) just include media and keep the price down.

To be honest though, since it's the biggest band in the history of history, they could (and should) do both with little fear that they won't still sell out everything, but I don't expect they will.

All I'm really hoping for is a Blu Ray with a decent surround mix and the David Frost videos restored. Anything else is optional in my world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back