'The Beatles' (White Album) [50th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-ray Disc!]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and I agree it is somewhat worrisome that surround is not mentioned in this and on the fan page. Maybe Sgt. Pepper's deluxe box didn't do so well (at least as far as having surround as a selling point)?

But when you are pushing LPs and CDs only, those by default have omitted it. Fingers' x'ed for the blu ray surround!
Might have helped had they USED the surround of Pepper as selling point. In all the interviews I read promoting the release, I never once saw the surround mix even mentioned.

Hopefully it won’t be so neglected in the press this time around.

I am with you on that. It is really hard to know what to get if you are not familiar with it. QQ will open up so many doors. I have got so many duds based on what others have said. On the otherhand I have been turned on to so much because of surround, last years XTC and Marillion releases I loved even though I never listened to them before. Like you, I stream first to see if I will like or not, the new upcoming surround Moody Blues is an example of too boring for me.

Markie, this is where you and I differ. When Days of Future Passed came out in the late 60's, I was instantly blown away by the sheer diversity of that album. Resplendent melodies, a few rockers and a cohesive blending of classical/rock was so new back then and graced many a college turntable...even though the Deram pressings weren't the best. When Days of Future Passed was recently re~released with the finally remastered original Stereo version in Hi Res 96/24, it was really like hearing it for the first time. I've always opposed the placement of the intro "Cold Hearted Orb That Rules The Night [etc.] in the rear channels at a LOWER volume which unfortunately ALL* the 5.1 'remasters' are guilty of as on the new Stereo remaster that voice is startling MUCH stronger and omnipresent in the front channels. Why they never felt a need to correct it remains a mystery but having seen the Moodies a few times in Concert, I still find their music diverse, gorgeous and relevant.

*The DTS~CD, SACD, DTS 5.1 DVD~V

Last edited:
I've always opposed the placement of the intro "Cold Hearted Orb That Rules The Night [etc.] in the rear channels at a LOWER volume which unfortunately ALL* the 5.1 'remasters' are guilty of...

Technically there is no such thing as a "5.1 remaster" of Days Of Future Passed as all 3 reissues of it (DTS-CD, SACD, DVD-V) are the old quad mix originally released on Q8/Q4 tape. Quad mixes are of course known to often differ compared to their stereo counterparts, certain things can get buried or exposed, etc. I only have the DTS-CD, haven't played it in a while but I remember it being pretty aggressive- love when the vocals switch to the rears at the fast part of "Tuesday Afternoon".

I'm not the biggest fan of the Moodies, but I am curious who is doing the new Lost Chord 5.1 and if it is in fact from the master tapes. There must've been some reason they didn't do a quad way back when or a new 5.1 on SACD over a decade ago.

*I see this is actually the white album thread- sorry mods

Here's all the info from SDE!

The Beatles (‘White Album’) – 6CD+blu-ray super deluxe

CD 1: The BEATLES (‘White Album’) 2018 Stereo Mix

1. Back in the U.S.S.R.
  2. Dear Prudence
  3. Glass Onion
  4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
  5. Wild Honey Pie
  6. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
  7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  8. Happiness is a Warm Gun
  9. Martha My Dear
  10. I’m so tired
  11. Blackbird
  12. Piggies
  13. Rocky Raccoon
  14. Don’t Pass Me By
  15. Why don’t we do it in the road?
  16. I Will
  17. Julia
CD 2 The BEATLES (‘White Album’) 2018 Stereo Mix

1. Birthday
  2. Yer Blues
  3. Mother Nature’s Son
  4. Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
  5. Sexy Sadie
  6. Helter Skelter
  7. Long, Long, Long
  8. Revolution I
  9. Honey Pie
  10. Savoy Truffle
  11. Cry Baby Cry
  12. Revolution 9
  13. Good Night
CD 3: Esher Demos

1. Back in the U.S.S.R.
  2. Dear Prudence
  3. Glass Onion
  4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
  5. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
  6. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  7. Happiness is a Warm Gun
  8. I’m so tired
  9. Blackbird
  10. Piggies
  11. Rocky Raccoon
  12. Julia
  13. Yer Blues
  14. Mother Nature’s Son
  15. Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
  16. Sexy Sadie
  17. Revolution
  18. Honey Pie
  19. Cry Baby Cry
  20. Sour Milk Sea
  21. Junk
  22. Child of Nature
  23. Circles
  24. Mean Mr. Mustard
  25. Polythene Pam
  26. Not Guilty
  27. What’s the New Mary Jane
CD 4: Sessions

1. Revolution I (Take 18)
  2. A Beginning (Take 4) / Don’t Pass Me By (Take 7)
  3. Blackbird (Take 28)
  4. Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (Unnumbered rehearsal)
  5. Good Night (Unnumbered rehearsal)
  6. Good Night (Take 10 with a guitar part from Take 5)
  7. Good Night (Take 22)
  8. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Take 3)
  9. Revolution (Unnumbered rehearsal)
  10. Revolution (Take 14 – Instrumental backing track)
  11. Cry Baby Cry (Unnumbered rehearsal)
  12. Helter Skelter (First version – Take 2)
CD 5: Sessions

1. Sexy Sadie (Take 3)
  2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Acoustic version – Take 2)
  3. Hey Jude (Take 1)
  4. St. Louis Blues (Studio jam)
  5. Not Guilty (Take 102)
  6. Mother Nature’s Son (Take 15)
  7. Yer Blues (Take 5 with guide vocal)
  8. What’s the New Mary Jane (Take 1)
  9. Rocky Raccoon (Take 8)
  10. Back in the U.S.S.R. (Take 5 – Instrumental backing track)
  11. Dear Prudence (Vocal, guitar & drums)
  12. Let It Be (Unnumbered rehearsal)
  13. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Third version – Take 27)
  14. (You’re so Square) Baby, I Don’t Care (Studio jam)
  15. Helter Skelter (Second version – Take 17)
  16. Glass Onion (Take 10)
CD 6: Sessions

1. I Will (Take 13)
  2. Blue Moon (Studio jam)
  3. I Will (Take 29)
  4. Step Inside Love (Studio jam)
  5. Los Paranoias (Studio jam)
  6. Can You Take Me Back? (Take 1)
  7. Birthday (Take 2 – Instrumental backing track)
  8. Piggies (Take 12 – Instrumental backing track)
  9. Happiness is a Warm Gun (Take 19)
  10. Honey Pie (Instrumental backing track)
  11. Savoy Truffle (Instrumental backing track)
  12. Martha My Dear (Without brass and strings)
  13. Long, Long, Long (Take 44)
  14. I’m so tired (Take 7)
  15. I’m so tired (Take 14)
  16. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (Take 2)
  17. Why don’t we do it in the road? (Take 5)
  18. Julia (Two rehearsals)
  19. The Inner Light (Take 6 – Instrumental backing track)
  20. Lady Madonna (Take 2 – Piano and drums)
  21. Lady Madonna (Backing vocals from take 3)
  22. Across the Universe (Take 6)
Blu-ray: The BEATLES (‘White Album’)

Audio Features:
: PCM Stereo (2018 Stereo Mix)
: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (2018)
: Dolby True HD 5.1 (2018)

: Mono (2018 Direct Transfer of ‘The White Album’ Original Mono Mix)

And that is the sound of my money flying out the window! Pre-ordered, and this has been one heck of a fantastic year for our hobby!

Same here! And yes, this is a great time for our hobby with both Jimi's Electric Ladyland & The Beatles' White Album both getting the 5.1 treatment on Blu-Ray (and getting released on the same day no less).

This puts me in a quandary. Electric Ladyland and the White Album arrive on the same day: which one do I play first LOL?

I will play The White Album first while "Electric Ladyland" gets ripped, extracted and burned to a 5.1 DVDA for the Acura.
Then, once the process is done with "Electric Ladyland", then that will get played, and it will be the White Album's turn for ripping, extracting, and burning.
I miss the days when DVD-A/V discs were being released and none of this was necessary, but hey, at least it's all possible with the Blu-Ray format.
Even though they sound great, I spell SACD 'PITA' when it comes to moments like these, lol

;)

Cor blimey gov, just as I was beginning to pull the purse strings tighter , along comes another must have. Although 140 quid is takin the wee wee in my opinion. Have I pre-ordered..you betcha.(y):QQlove

But hang on.. HMV have it for £124.99!! Think I will send a little info chat to Amazon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back