Thin Lizzy, Vagabonds of the Western World (3CD + Atmos Blu-Ray Box Set Nov. 17, 2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly no, but maybe there's a way to find most of them on Discogs. I bought or was given most of the pop/rock Universal releases. And was given a few classical and jazz titles at various events.

It really annoyed me when Universal abandoned the format but much happier now that SDE has stepped in (even though they're not all strictly 'pure audio')... I remember seeing some odd looking French disc releases, in hindsight I should have picked some of those up!
Good idea, using Discogs, they probably have a sub link, I'll look into it.
For sure, I own quite a bit of them, but definitely not 100.

For sure, I own quite a bit of them, but definitely not 100.
Strictly speaking they're not all 'HFPA' Blu-ray Audio discs (I should have put a '/' between the two words). I've got a few Pure Audio disc releases along with some Rush, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Beatles, Beyoncé, Alan Parsons Blu-ray discs... None of which are region coded.

I thought this was interesting...

I ordered the standalone from Amazon UK. and it just shipped... via DHL. I’ve ordered a number of things from Amazon U.K., but have never had DHL used as the U.S. Maybe that’s a recent change? It’s always been USPS when it got to the states.

Postage on the order was 8-pounds which doesn’t seem bad for U.K. to U.S. via DHL

Expected delivery is December 6, but I wonder if it will be like the CDJapan orders and arrive in a couple of days.

Either way, I’m happy DHL is the shipper.

I thought this was interesting...

I ordered the standalone from Amazon UK. and it just shipped... via DHL. I’ve ordered a number of things from Amazon U.K., but have never had DHL used as the U.S. Maybe that’s a recent change? It’s always been USPS when it got to the states.

Postage on the order was 8-pounds which doesn’t seem bad for U.K. to U.S. via DHL

Expected delivery is December 6, but I wonder if it will be like the CDJapan orders and arrive in a couple of days.

Either way, I’m happy DHL is the shipper.
A lot of times DHL brings it into the country and hands it over to USPS for the final delivery.

A lot of times DHL brings it into the country and hands it over to USPS for the final delivery.
I had thought about that possibility and looked to see if there was any indication in the shipping notice that it might go to USPS, but didn’t see anything obvious. Which doesn’t mean it won’t.

I was also able to give delivery instructions to not sign for anything and provide any gate code that might be relevant. That might just be standard procedure, though, even if they’re doing a hand-off.

Fingers crossed that it’s DHL, but I probably should not be surprised if you’re right about USPS.

I’ve currently got Thin Lizzy, Peter Gabriel, Yes and Van Morrison moving in various locations around the world, so these are happy days.

Has anyone that ordered from Walmart gotten shipping notification?
I checked my order status and it indicated that it was “on hold” or something like that.

I purchased this BR even though this is not my favorite Lizzy album. I prefer the twin guitar line-up of Gorham & Robo. By purchasing this, I'm hoping that Universal Music continues to release the rest of the the Lizzy catalog and other classic rock albums as single discs in this format.
Me as well, overall my favourites are Johnny The Fox & Bad Reputation, though there are some great tracks on the other albums

I purchased this BR even though this is not my favorite Lizzy album. I prefer the twin guitar line-up of Gorham & Robo. By purchasing this, I'm hoping that Universal Music continues to release the rest of the the Lizzy catalog and other classic rock albums as single discs in this format.
This is a top Lizzy album for me (but the Robbo era line-up is also my favourite) so I'm thrilled they released this as a BD only. I did NOT want to pony up for a box of mostly repeat tracks from other sets.
But yes, if they see fit to release the rest of the '70s albums as BDA stand alones I will buy them all! After all It's Only Money ;)

But yes, if they see fit to release the rest of the '70s albums as BDA stand alones I will buy them all! After all It's Only Money ;)
The best part is that it isn't much money, and that's why stand alones are so awesome. At $25 a pop it's not a big deal. It's about the same cost as a large pizza.

Listening now to the Atmos rip from the Blu Ray.
Certainly cranks up very well.
Definitely an immersive Atmos release. Fine tuned, discrete, mix, no, but super good listen.
Need to listen to the 5.1, once in awhile the 5.1 can be better than the Atmos, can be better concentrated, but need to actually listen.
Listen to The Rocker for some fun stuff.
Dolby Atmos-24bit/48Khz. DR's are 9, 10, 11's.
I did buy the Box Set, likely you are not missing anything significant by purchasing the stand alone?
71ewXOx53QL._SY679_.jpg

I'm not sure it's been answered here, so for those who bought both the boxset and the standalone BR, have the BRs got the same in content or are there differences ? Thanks !

Back