Tommy Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just wondering if anyone has picked up the release of Tommy (the movie directed by Ken Russell) on Blu Ray Disc. Came out a few weeks ago and evidently it has a new 5.1 mix in DTS MA HD but also has the original "Quintaphonic" 5.0 mix that accompanied it at theaters upon it's original theatrical release back in the 70's. Anyone?....

From BluRay.com

Tommy's Blu-ray debut features two soundtracks: a "Quintaphonic" 5.0 mix and a more traditional DTS-HD MA 5.1 presentation. For listeners unfamiliar with a Quintaphonic track, Sony has included an informative and detailed writeup found on a two-sided leaflet located inside the Blu-ray case. The details are better left to the included information, but what listeners need to know is that the Quintaphonic track retains the basic front left, center, front right, back left, and back right speaker configuration, but the sound engineers accomplished the implementation of five channels of equal fidelity through only three magnetic soundtracks through the technique of "matrixing" -- or combining -- the front and back left and right tracks into one, while leaving the center, or primary, channel with its own discrete soundtrack. No matter the complicated technical elements behind the track; Tommy was the first -- and only -- picture to utilize this then-revolutionary sound process, and Sony's audio engineers have diligently worked to use the finest elements available to recreate as closely as possible the picture's original Quintaphonic sound presentation. The Quintaphonic mix on the Blu-ray disc is actually presented as a DTS-HD MA 5.0 soundtrack, but it retains much the same feel, spacing, and rawness of the original presentation. Indeed, the Quintaphonic track yields a listening experience that's unique to say the least; surrounds are pushed heavily and regularly, carrying as much bulk as the front, but not at the expense of decent clarity and great strength. If anything, Tommy's too loud at reference volume and the material just seems hurled at the listener from every direction, yielding something of a confused but unique and worthwhile listen. Switching to the 5.1 mix yields a much more traditional, though still surround-heavy, presentation. Clarity takes on an immediate boost as well; sample chapter nine, the "Pinball Wizard" segment, with both tracks; the differences are quite striking. Either way, Sony's dual presentations both impress, one as the original track reproduced about as well as can be, the other a more refined and traditional-sounding offering that's still in and of itself a quality listen and worthwhile track. Why not watch Tommy twice, once with each track?

They gave the audio presentation 4 1/2 stars out of 5

thanks Bob - I read that too - BluRay.com is a good source for info but sometimes I find their reviews to be less accurate when it comes to audio than what I trust to others here - like yourself for instance. I would love to know if anyone here has heard it and what they think. I'll probably pick this up eventually and hear it for myself but just wondering...

I wonder if it's the same screwed up Quint mix used on the DVD release? They used a non-Vario-Matrix decoder to decode the QS info for the DVD and thus, the surrounds are basically exactly the same as the fronts... just bad matrix quad.

I have the DVD, didn't know the mix was decoded wrong. However, while I am a Who fan, I'm not a great fan of this movie and unless the blu ray is budget priced I won't be picking it up. But I'm glad its getting released with the correct and new mixes. For anyon that has the Polydor QS soundtrack, are thee substantial differences between the quintaphonic and vinyl mixes?

Picked up the Tommy Blu Ray today at Border's today - $19.99 list with a 33% off coupon - $13.39 - a small investment under the auspice's of curiosity. First off, the PQ is exellent. The movie is what it is, if nothing else it is quite unlike anything before it and is at least entertaining upon first view - if for no other reason than to see Ann Margaret as Tommy's mother (MILF alert!), writhing in a sea of baked beans. The DTS HD MA soundtrack is superb with both a standard newly remxed 5.1 track to go along with the previously mentioned DTS HD MA 5.0 Quintaphonic mix. There is an insert in the box which explains the whole quint and remastering process which I have included here for your consideration. I cannot compare to the original quint mix nor can I speak to the SQ versions out there - but this sounds pretty darn good to me - I prefer the 5.1 mix over the quint mix for reasons better explained in the insert. Musically, this may be the same music but under the direction of Pete Townsend, the arrangements and instrumentation are quite different and for fans of Tommy (at least for myself) an interesting companion piece to the original Tommy. As one reviewer noted, as this is without dialogue and with the exeption of some cinematic sound effects, essentially the Tommy "opera" set to moving images. If you grow tired of the imagery, you can turn off the screen and listen as you would with any other surround music title. Very entertaining - I would give it a 9 - for sheer audacity. Insert attached;

img210.jpg
img211.jpg

It seems, from reading the above information, that the Quintaphonic mix on the blu-ray is the same as the DVD (paragraph 4, line 1).

J. D.

I have not heard the quint mix on the DVD. Suffice to say, however, that as it is encoded in DTS HD MA, that alone is a significant improvement over what I would assume to be lossy Dolby or even DTS at best - No?

Back