What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
snow patrol Final straw dualdisc with a dvda stream
nine in nails with teeth dualdisc with a dvda stream
More on the way as I mine the internet for the last dregs.....

After reading the reviews on this amazing forum, I have to confess just paying $125 for the SACD of Deep Purple Machine Head.

I know it's expensive. I know about the ebay "shame file", but I couldn't resist. This was the very first LP I ever owned. I worshiped those guys. That was until I bought their 2006 Live at Montreux Blu Ray effort...what a laugh and hoot that was !!! :)....Are these guys still alive (joke)? Like paintings, I'm hoping the value of music as an art form rapidly appreciates after the death of the "artist" !

I have teenage daughters, a mother in law, and a female dog...$125 will be cheap "therapy"....

It will be only my 3rd SACD (after DSOTM and Dire Straights)

Miles Davis: Live-Evil [Japanese] (SACD)

512htGtq2oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Miles Davis: Live-Evil [Japanese] (SACD)

512htGtq2oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is that the Quad mix?
Do they have any left?

My latest was the Layla Box Set, but not SACD/DVDA so probably does not count.
Failing that, my last buy would have been the superb 10th symphony by Shostakovich and the 5th/9th on a second disc.
Outstanding.

It is a stereo SACD, but I must say, it is the best I've ever heard Live-Evil! The packaging for this Japanese/Sony release is also nice. Comes in a completely clear, double jewel-case with artwork behind the trays. I'm not really a fan of the cardboard slip covers on the Columbia versions.

Looks like Amazon is out of stock, but the Columbia version is available through the market place sellers.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Evil-Mil...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300901074&sr=8-1

Last edited:
My last DVD-A purchase, if memory serves me correctly (at 45 years old, I'm finding that the clutch is slipping a bit) was The Doors "Perception" Rhino box set, back, I think, in 2009. I mean I caught it as the Best Buy I was at was pulling the last of the DVD-A/SACD from the shelves. As far as SACD, used - I found most of the CCR collection at a flea market in Russellville, AR, new - a third copy of Allman Brothers "Eat A Peach", around the same time I bought the afore-mentioned Doors set.

I just received my DVD-A of Sailing to Philadelphia by Mark Knopfler from Amazon ($17.86 + shipping). Listening to it for the first time and so far I am very impressed with discreet mix and content. Also enjoying James Taylor and Van Morrison vocals on the disc. This is really a nice surround sound disc!

Good month for me...

Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS CD from FYE for $10.99.

Keane Hopes and Fears sacd
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms DualDisc
Faith Hill Cry dvd-a
Grover Washington Jr. Winelight dvd-a
Eagles Hotel California dvd-a
Mark Knopfler Sailing to Philadelphia dvd-a and Shangri-La sacd
Bjork Medulla sacd
Neil Young Harvest dvd-a
Led Zeppelin How the West Was Won dvd-a
N.E.R.D.: In Search Of... dvd-a

I must say that on my 5.1 system (Denon AVR3310, Harmon Kardon DVD48 dvd-a/sacd player, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Motion speakers, Emotiva dual Ultra 12's), I can hear the difference between the Dire Straits BIA dualdisc and the sacd. The sacd is still reference material, but the dvd-a of the dual disc sounds more analog and less tinny. It's picking hairs, but it was the same with Beck's Sea Change. I much prefer Sea Change in the dvd-a format.

I know that I should upgrade the Harmon Kardon DVD48 player, but my resources go to the media right now :).

>>The sacd is still reference material, but the dvd-a of the dual disc sounds more analog...<<

SACD, to me, is tiring to listen to - I think it has to do with all the junk in the high frequencies due to the huge amounts of noise shaping and non-linearity of the 1-bit process - plus tons of intermodulation with lower frequencies if your electronics don't handle supersonics well. SACD to DTS down-conversions to 48kHz are more relaxing to listen to.

Is anyone else bothered by SACD's basic sound quality?

>>The sacd is still reference material, but the dvd-a of the dual disc sounds more analog...<<

SACD, to me, is tiring to listen to - I think it has to do with all the junk in the high frequencies due to the huge amounts of noise shaping and non-linearity of the 1-bit process - plus tons of intermodulation with lower frequencies if your electronics don't handle supersonics well. SACD to DTS down-conversions to 48kHz are more relaxing to listen to.

DVD-audio discs sound "warmer" and more natural than the sacd counterpart in my system. One's mileage may vary of course.

I wish that dvd-audio survived but alas...

Here's to hoping that blu-ray audio can get some support....

DVD-audio discs sound "warmer" and more natural than the sacd counterpart in my system. One's mileage may vary of course.

I wish that dvd-audio survived but alas...

Here's to hoping that blu-ray audio can get some support....

I agree 100% - and I'm not a person who thinks 'analog' is superior to digital because digital is "chopped up" (which so many people seem to think is the case!). I don't have many SACD's, but I haven't liked their fidelity - I used to get them from the library and was never sufficiently impressed to buy them - but DVD-Audio, I bought as many as I could. It was so sad, at the time, to see the industry destroying the formats chances with even worse marketing and support than they did with quad.

DVD-Audio was/is the highest of fidelity - nothing, that humans can hear, could ever be better. I keep crossing my fingers that Blu-ray audio will find a niche and get us some good surround releases. At least there's no need of a new player - all BD players will play all BD-A discs, which is wonderful - and the space allows all kinds of mixes to be included! Not that the studio's would ever do that.

One 'format' I really liked was HDCD - it had that crystal clear sound that MLP and high-bitrate DTS discs have, where you can hear a musicians fingers sliding on the strings of a guitar... but Microsoft bought it and killed it. The HDCD mastering system is still widely used, just not the encoding - and DTS even added bit stream extensions so that lower bitrates could take advantage of higher resolution - Dolby did too. As well as Sony for Mini Disc.

Good month for me...

Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS CD from FYE for $10.99.

Keane Hopes and Fears sacd
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms DualDisc
Faith Hill Cry dvd-a
Grover Washington Jr. Winelight dvd-a
Eagles Hotel California dvd-a
Mark Knopfler Sailing to Philadelphia dvd-a and Shangri-La sacd
Bjork Medulla sacd
Neil Young Harvest dvd-a
Led Zeppelin How the West Was Won dvd-a
N.E.R.D.: In Search Of... dvd-a

I must say that on my 5.1 system (Denon AVR3310, Harmon Kardon DVD48 dvd-a/sacd player, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Motion speakers, Emotiva dual Ultra 12's), I can hear the difference between the Dire Straits BIA dualdisc and the sacd. The sacd is still reference material, but the dvd-a of the dual disc sounds more analog and less tinny. It's picking hairs, but it was the same with Beck's Sea Change. I much prefer Sea Change in the dvd-a format.

I know that I should upgrade the Harmon Kardon DVD48 player, but my resources go to the media right now :).

Helluva good month! :D

The Who My Generation (mono album + stereo album) SHM-SACD arrived a couple of days ago from wherehouse.com

I've now got 24 SHM-SACDs... anybody have more?

Paul Van Dyk "Reflections" SACD while described as "gebraucht" it was never played! and it looks so shiny and new. A shout out to Greet for doing the money transfers for me!

from the latest purchases - Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" DVDA.
not my fave. got it just because was on sale.
nice sound and mix but not really would spin it too often. more like historical artefact.

Barclay James Harvest "Once Again". i know, this isn't DVDA but if stereo SACD have
right to be mentioned, i believe stereo and SQ streams (both at 96/24) on this one
absolutelly have right to be here also.

in waiting of Rush "Moving Pictures". did pre-ordered for 2 sets relying on the Neal's
confirmation that this would be DVDA.

same here too. but i also have hate to DTS even more. horrible sound for most part.
artificially harsh, dry, with no details.

from the latest purchases - Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" DVDA.
not my fave. got it just because was on sale.
nice sound and mix but not really would spin it too often. more like historical artefact.

Barclay James Harvest "Once Again". i know, this isn't DVDA but if stereo SACD have
right to be mentioned, i believe stereo and SQ streams (both at 96/24) on this one
absolutelly have right to be here also.

in waiting of Rush "Moving Pictures". did pre-ordered for 2 sets relying on the Neal's
confirmation that this would be DVDA.

same here too. but i also have hate to DTS even more. horrible sound for most part.
artificially harsh, dry, with no details.

Depends on your system I suppose. SACD and DTS sound fine here! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back