What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on your system I suppose.
how that can be if disc with one album but in diferent containers (PCM/PPCM vs. DTS/DD) could have such huge difference in the sound because of system when the system is same?
in regard of SACD's, not all bad but some produce headache during the listening. i don't know this is due to DSD specification or just way of mastering the sound, but constant high freq. buzzing sound is very unpleasant and annoying.
this not even as much audible. it feels like something drilling in between eyes.

T. Rex - Electric Warrior (DVD-A)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (SACD)
Elton John - Honky Chateau (SACD)
Gilberto/Getz (SACD)
Bob Dylan - Love and Theft (SACD)

T. Rex - Electric Warrior (DVD-A)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (SACD)
Elton John - Honky Chateau (SACD)
Gilberto/Getz (SACD)
Bob Dylan - Love and Theft (SACD)

Some good ones there. The Mingus SACD is nice and the Getz/Gilberto SACD is demo level quality sound.

Some good ones there. The Mingus SACD is nice and the Getz/Gilberto SACD is demo level quality sound.

Yeah, the clarity on the Getz/Gilberto disc is pretty amazing. Initially I was only into the 5.1 mixes, but I've really come to appreciate the quality of sound on some of the stereo SACDs out there. This is one of them!

Yeah, the clarity on the Getz/Gilberto disc is pretty amazing. Initially I was only into the 5.1 mixes, but I've really come to appreciate the quality of sound on some of the stereo SACDs out there. This is one of them!

Yes. Another one to look for on Stereo SACD is Joe Weed by The Vultures on Top Music. Excellent fidelity there as well.
And some of the Audio Fidelity and other SACDs mastered by Steve Hoffman are also worth finding for the same reason (Zombies, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc.)

how that can be if disc with one album but in diferent containers (PCM/PPCM vs. DTS/DD) could have such huge difference in the sound because of system when the system is same?
in regard of SACD's, not all bad but some produce headache during the listening. i don't know this is due to DSD specification or just way of mastering the sound, but constant high freq. buzzing sound is very unpleasant and annoying.
this not even as much audible. it feels like something drilling in between eyes.

SACD has HUGE amounts of noise just above the audible range. While the 1-bit DSD format used to store/recover the signal on the disc has a super-wide frequency response, it's dynamic range is only around 1db up there. Of course, we can't hear that high, but if left unfiltered (and it was discovered to be such a problem that Sony changed the SACD player standard to require low-pass filters on at least one pair of analog outputs. Typically, they pass everything below 30kHz.) it will often cause severe intermodulation distortion in the lower, audible range - the effects are unpredictable. And some with super-sensitive hearing, like young women or asthmatics, hear the noise-shaped signal just above 20kHz as a constant 'whistle' or 'grunge' overlaying the signal or modulated by it. That's the reason that Sony and Philips seceretly changed to "Wide DSD" that used a more conventional 8-bit Delta-Sigma converter. The true 1-bit DSD system is just too non-linear and no matter what is done to the signal, it can NEVER, EVER be made perfect, which Stanley P. Lipshitz and John Vanderkooy proved in several AES papers during the first few years of DVD-A/SACD. Their very first paper about 1-bit delta-sigma recording was called "Why 1-Bit Sigma-Delta Conversion is Unsuitable for High-Quality Applications" It's from AES 110TH Convention, Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 12–15, 2001. If you are interested, let me know and I'll email you a PDF of the AES paper. I tried to upload it to the forum, but at 200k, it's 100k over the forum limit. Be warned, it's heavy going in the mathematics, etc... I'm dyslexic and never did well at math, so it's been very hard for me to totally understand - but to skip to the long and short of it, here's the conclusions as stated in the Abstract.

ABSTRACT
Single-stage, 1-bit sigma-delta converters are in principle imperfectible. We prove this fact. The reason, simply stated, is that, when properly dithered, they are in constant overload. Prevention of overload allows only partial dithering to be performed. The consequence is that distortion, limit cycles, instability, and noise modulation can never be totally avoided. We demonstrate these effects, and using coherent averaging techniques, are able to display the consequent profusion of nonlinear artefacts which are usually hidden in the noise floor. Recording, editing, storage, or conversion systems using single-stage, 1-bit sigma-delta modulators, are thus inimical to audio of the highest quality. In contrast, multi-bit sigma-delta converters, which output linear PCM code, are in principle infinitely perfectible. (Here, multi-bit refers to at least two bits in the converter.) They can be properly dithered so as to guarantee the absence of all distortion, limit cycles, and noise modulation. The audio industry is misguided if it adopts 1-bit sigma-delta conversion as the basis for any high-quality processing, archiving, or distribution format to replace multi-bit, linear PCM.

Phillips "Total Music Immersion" Super Audio CD Sampler (new and sealed)

When you have DJ Jean, Groove Armada, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, and Alice In Chains everything else is like a bonus! All on one disc. Along with James Taylor, Earth Wind & Fire among others

Phillips "Total Music Immersion" Super Audio CD Sampler (new and sealed)

When you have DJ Jean, Groove Armada, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, and Alice In Chains everything else is like a bonus! All on one disc. Along with James Taylor, Earth Wind & Fire among others

What songs are the Frankie... and Earth-Wind-Fire tracks? And are they surround, or just 2 channel?

All are in 5.1 The person I got it from had it listed as used but saw that it was both new and sealed
. Frankie Goes To Hollywood "Relax" Earth Wind & Fire "Sing A Song" DJ Jean "Love Come Home" Guano Apes "No Speech" Herbert Gronemeyer "Halt Mich"

Yes I did ebay.de it was 17,23 Euros shipped! At that price I couldnt afford not to get it! Google translate is my friend. About a month ago. They would only take bank transfers.

Yes. Another one to look for on Stereo SACD is Joe Weed by The Vultures on Top Music. Excellent fidelity there as well.
And some of the Audio Fidelity and other SACDs mastered by Steve Hoffman are also worth finding for the same reason (Zombies, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc.)

Thanks for the recommendations! I do have the Zombies one and love it.

This rare item from an amazon seller for $42.49 plus shipping. I've never even seen one before. Now I can get rid of the dualdisc.

Attachments

• bowie_reality_sacd.jpg
    bowie_reality_sacd.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 209
Rush - Moving Pictures DVD-A

Ordered and on the way:
John Coltrane - Standard Coltrane SACD
Rickie Lee Jones - It's Like This SACD

Depends on your system I suppose. SACD and DTS sound fine here! :)

I actually think DTS discs on my Yamaha Universal player sounds pretty good.

Oh yeah, got Rush's Moving Pictures BRAudio and CD today at Best Buy for $19.99 an the blu-ray U2 360 show at the Rose Bowl for $10.

I've picked up a handful in the past couple months.

Bjork: Debut, Post(dualdiscs); Verspertine DVD-A, Medulla SACD
NIN: The Downward Spiral DVD-A
Blue Man Group: Audio
Bon Jovi: Slippery when wet (dd)
Mudvayne: Lost and Found (dd)

haven't had a chance to listen to any of them in depth yet. :(

'Alison Krauss & Union Station Live'. I consider it a gift from a friend.

Quite a few have passed through my door as traders, but I never kept a copy for myself.

Wow. It's everything you all said it would be.

Great disc.

Goldfrapp - Supernature [SACD + DVD]

The DVD has AC3 and DTS in 5.1 surround 24/48. No MLP.

I found a used copy for €10. I am quite a Goldfrapp fan, so I don't know whether to recommend this to others. The SQ is better than the original CD album that I have. I can't tell much difference between the SACD and the DTS - they are definitely made from the same master.

The surround mix is "ambiance" only with very little use of center. I have nothing against this choice, but with this material they could have been more adventurous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back