What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To help console me, I bought as brand new copy of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 'Damn The Torpedoes' on BDA which should be here soon ;)

I haven't listened to it for a while, don't remember it as having an 'exciting' 5.1 mix, but a brilliant well recorded album, and one of the few BDAs that plays without resonating on my bl**dy Denon so I can hear it clearly! Most of the new HFPA releases resonate so loudly that they drown out the music (Stevie Wonder's SFTKL is unlistenable without headphones).

Okay this is when you know you have a sickness with no cure in sight. I just bought this off Ebay yesterday simply because it was $8 total. I don't even like her one bit. I mean I guess I'll give Toxic a spin but I can't see listening to this more than once.

View attachment 12676

WOW! :yikes $8 is amazing for the DVD-A (not so for the DualDisc of In The Zone, which is much more common and not as good in surround). (y)

Well, on first pass, I have to say I'm not impressed :(

I listened to the MLP 5.1 mix and Bruce is very prominent in the centre channel, and then, when he yields to a blazing guitar solo, that takes significant prominence in that channel. Sometimes it's more noticeable than others. Turning the centre channel down a bit helps, but I'm always loathe to make repeated changes to my set up. In stereo it's not so bad.

So, I tried the DVD-V version and the first audio track I tried was the DD. Things started well on the first song until Bruce's vocals came in and all the other instrumentation got ducked down by compression. It was so noticeable! Shocking. The DTS version was unlistenable! There is something wrong with the disc's authoring (or a fault with the disc, although there is nothing visible). Simply put, if you select the DTS track, then play the album from the beginning, the on screen graphics are distorted and so is the audio. Whilst this isn't a major problem as I would always favour the MLP track, if something is supposed to work then I expect it to work.

The general consensus is that this is a good Maiden album and it certainly ticks all the Maiden boxes, but from a m/c DVD-A perspective, it's a big fail.

To help console me, I bought as brand new copy of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 'Damn The Torpedoes' on BDA which should be here soon ;)

try the DVD-A stereo thru PLII ;)

I haven't listened to it for a while, don't remember it as having an 'exciting' 5.1 mix, but a brilliant well recorded album, and one of the few BDAs that plays without resonating on my bl**dy Denon so I can hear it clearly! Most of the new HFPA releases resonate so loudly that they drown out the music (Stevie Wonder's SFTKL is unlistenable without headphones).

agree 100% the Tom Petty sounds stunning but the mix is pretty unadventurous :)

I didn't recommend it, I just responded on the Facebook HFPA that there *IS* some Maiden in Hi-Rez 5.1 :p

This is true. I'm not blaming you though LOL ;)

try the DVD-A stereo thru PLII ;)

Will do :)

the 5.1's on all the EJ's (bar the bright GYBR) do indeed sound superb! the stereo SACD layers on all of them are horrible and most certainly victims of the "loudness war".

I've never even listened to the stereo layers! And as for GYBR, I never really noticed it being poorer than the others. They all sound great to me :)

Okay this is when you know you have a sickness with no cure in sight. I just bought this off Ebay yesterday simply because it was $8 total. I don't even like her one bit. I mean I guess I'll give Toxic a spin but I can't see listening to this more than once.

View attachment 12676
$8... That's just nuts. Did it come in skinny hinge case or the new fatter hinge design (this one is rare)?
You should list this in that good deal thread. Forget what it's called. One of these days you'll end up with the EMI Scorpions classical SACD for $15 or so. Or Aerosmith Rocks for $10.

The only thing I can think is the person just didn't know what he had. He listed it as DVD, Audio so I think he just didn't know the value of it. Of course the items I want that would be great to get at that price like say Avalon by Roxy Music or Kraftwerk will probably never happen. But hey I'm a collector so this just adds to the collection. At least early 00s Britney was decent eye candy.

Wow - I didn't realize they had released Olias of Sunhillow yet. I have it coming from Amazon on February 4th. How does it sound?

$8... That's just nuts. Did it come in skinny hinge case or the new fatter hinge design (this one is rare)?
You should list this in that good deal thread. Forget what it's called. One of these days you'll end up with the EMI Scorpions classical SACD for $15 or so. Or Aerosmith Rocks for $10.

One for "The QQ Anti-Shocker List"..!! :p

The only thing I can think is the person just didn't know what he had. He listed it as DVD, Audio so I think he just didn't know the value of it. Of course the items I want that would be great to get at that price like say Avalon by Roxy Music or Kraftwerk will probably never happen. But hey I'm a collector so this just adds to the collection. At least early 00s Britney was decent eye candy.

Avalon will come, it's not as much of a toughie as you might think, so don't give up hope you will find it. Kraftwerk is a different story unless you're willing to trawl German thrift stores for their version or stump up £200 for the UK version from some scalper on fleabay. Probably cheaper to pay the £200 unless you fancy a holiday in Europe with an SACD hunt as part of the itinerary, or all of the itinerary..!! :D

Avalon will come, it's not as much of a toughie as you might think, so don't give up hope you will find it. Kraftwerk is a different story unless you're willing to trawl German thrift stores for their version or stump up £200 for the UK version from some scalper on fleabay. Probably cheaper to pay the £200 unless you fancy a holiday in Europe with an SACD hunt as part of the itinerary, or all of the itinerary..!! :D
I had plenty of opportunities to buy that Kraftwerk title but was hoping for something better, like Autobahn. I still don't care about it, but if I found one for $8 I'd pick it up.

Running on Empty from Jackson Browne on DVD-audio arrived today. Haven't given it a spin yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back