What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dig it in YouTube.0, so I'm hoping I love the 5.1 too. I appreciate having a "laid-back" section of my collection. Sometimes I want to wind up and sometimes wind down...

The Winelight SACD and DVD-A are going in the coffin with me when I shuffle off.. an album I would never have sat down and actually listened to for the entirety of its nigh on 40 minutes (it would be background music at best) in stereo, is unbelievably transformed by an absolute text book modern multichannel music mix.. anyone wanting to get into remixing music into surround needs to hear how Scheiner did Winelight imho, he nailed it in the most sensational fashion.

Edit: Yours is the U.S pressing, Clint.

Here's the UK/EU Peachtree Road SACD..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your loss.. personally find Winelight's one of the finest 5.1 music mixes going, stunningly good surround from the multichannel maestro Scheiner, imho.....

Regardless of the finest mix the music still counts for something and the music was unlistenable for me. And I did play it a few times to make sure.

Eric Clapton - Reptile DVD-A
The Corrs - In Blue DVD-A
I got these really cheap as second hand discs.
As more people can play all these formats (DVD-A, SACD, Bluray) through the multiplayers that are in the market now i am waiting for an increasing demand for the discs.
So far streaming isn´t solving any demand for 5.1 at least

Eric Clapton - Reptile DVD-A
The Corrs - In Blue DVD-A
I got these really cheap as second hand discs.
As more people can play all these formats (DVD-A, SACD, Bluray) through the multiplayers that are in the market now i am waiting for an increasing demand for the discs.
So far streaming isn´t solving any demand for 5.1 at least

I love the Reptile DVD-A! :banana:
It's a bit "loud" (compressed but still sounds v.nice you just can't crank it).. a couple of the tunes are a bit dreary and the mix is a bit uneven.. bit.. I mean BUT as a whole it's a fabulous surround disc that back in the day got all but ignored.. if it came out now it would receive a welcome akin to the second coming as a new album by a major artist released in surround in similar time frame as the stereo.

It's amazing we still get "new new" surround music since those SACD Vs DVD-A format wars when the major labels were really taking our hobby seriously (as seriously as they're capable of anyway) but it's not happening today as regularly as I'd like, the old Quad reissues etc are great but it's always nice to hear brand new music from old favourites (like the Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, etc.. Let's have more of that you record company bastards!! :D )

Funny you should mention the lack of alternative to these out of print discs and continuing demand for these old surround titles, I was having the exact same conversation over the weekend with my Mother. She's a smart lady even though she isn't as tech savvy as my Dad but she's a great businesswoman.. she turned round and said "haven't they come up with a download or something that's made these SACDs obsolete yet, Fred?".. "No Mama! Not yet..." I replied! :eek:

Just picked up this one this morning right when the store opened. Saw it Saturday and I remember the case being perfect then. I wonder who threw it on the floor and stepped on it sometime between then and today. I had a spare case to put it in. Good thing.

Attachments

• CarlySimon_used_NoSecrets_frontSmaller.jpg
    CarlySimon_used_NoSecrets_frontSmaller.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 196
  • FYE_40.jpg
    FYE_40.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 196
Just picked up this one this morning right when the store opened. Saw it Saturday and I remember the case being perfect then. I wonder who threw it on the floor and stepped on it sometime between then and today. I had a spare case to put it in. Good thing.

Who did the surround mix on that album?

I would think the mix sounds really good, considering how good his Billy Joel mixes are (52nd Street, The Stranger).

Good to hear as I've actually ordered the Multichannel SACDs of 52nd Street and The Stranger this morning to accompany my upcoming Streetlife Serenade AF SACD.

Back