What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51db5Z28zUL.jpg

I bought this disc as a sort of expensive SACD single. The sample of track 17 sounded very promising. So maybe worth a try.

It's not especially Christmassy - or at least I've never heard any of it before. Piano, violin, violoncello and harmonium.

The first thing that I noticed was that it is tonally gorgeous and can be played loud. Quite a wide soundstage with the piano, violin and violoncello - but what's this? The harmonium is in the rear speakers albeit predominantly on the right. And the overall effect is wonderful.

Unfortunately (for me) a soprano warbles away on some tracks, but the majority is straight instrumental. I am pleasantly surprised just how much I like it. And the first Ave Maria isn't anything like any other Ave Maria that I've heard before - it's sort of lovely and melodic and uses a thirteenth chord to good effect at one point.

VERY highly recommended.

ARS Produktion is a German label run by Annette Schumacher. Its repertoire is varied and includes several unusual items. Martin Schmeding playing Schumann on a pedal klavier (a piano with a pedal board like an organ); a German brass ensemble playing Britisch music; Martin Schmeding playing Bach organ transcriptions on a magnificent cathedral organ - and they all make excellent discrete use of the rear speakers and sound superb. The brass ensemble actually has more in the rear speakers than in the fronts.

...Interesting to see all the forum members who were involved in this release...of course Neil Wilkes..but seeing Bob Romano and Jon Urban mentioned is very cool

This can only lead to more and more censorship on this forum, just like that "other" forum we all escaped from.... some of us involuntarily.

Well, after a 3-month hiatus I'm back in the Audio Fidelity SACD game with purchases of "Birds of Fire" and "Loggins & Messina"!

Found both of these beauties at Grimey's here in Nashville. First time I have ever seen Audio Fidelity SACDs in that store, let alone any of the surround ones.
Too bad they didn't have "Jeff Beck Group" in there too, but I'm certain I'll pick it up from amazon in due time. :)

(PS Also found a used Multichannel SACD copy of "Another Side of Bob Dylan" so I picked that one up too, but I know I definitely won't enjoy that one as much as these AF ones.)

EDIT: Don't know why the picture uploaded upside down...

Attachments

• IMG_4762.jpg
    IMG_4762.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 226
The local FYE has one of those priced at $14.99, which I guess is kinda high. I sold an EMI Alpine Symphony dvd-audio recently and could only get $10 for it.

(PS Also found a used Multichannel SACD copy of "Another Side of Bob Dylan" so I picked that one up too, but I know I definitely won't enjoy that one as much as these AF ones.)

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's hardly worth being in surround, but sounds excellent. Not much, if any, different from running stereo through faux surround.

I love this piece and saw a brave Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra perform it to a rather hostile & rude crowd a few years back. How does it sound, Lute?

EMI's DVD-As can be a bit hit n' miss, but this reissue of Previn's classic 1978 performance of Messiaen's masterpiece is DEFINITELY one of their successes. The surround mix is immersive...not hyper discrete. The rear channels add a wonderful depth to the overall soundstage. The fidelity is good with plenty of bass and natural midrange.

If you can get it for the prices Cupboy's talking about, I'd jump all over it.

Simon Rattle's 1999 performance of Mahler's symphony no.10 is also a winner!

image.jpeg

Those EMI dvd-audio disks are 24/48 so that will limit the sound quality.

Not to beat a dead horse, but no, it won't. There's no proof that any human can distinguish between a well-mastered, well-recorded 24/48 recording and a 24/96 recording. If someone can point me to a controlled study that says otherwise, I'd love to read it. The Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem suggests that 24/48 should be ample to faithfully represent sounds audible to humans.

EMI's DVD-As can be a bit hit n' miss, but this reissue of Previn's classic 1978 performance of Messiaen's masterpiece is DEFINITELY one of their successes. The surround mix is immersive...not hyper discrete. The rear channels add a wonderful depth to the overall soundstage. The fidelity is good with plenty of bass and natural midrange.

If you can get it for the prices Cupboy's talking about, I'd jump all over it.

Simon Rattle's 1999 performance of Mahler's symphony no.10 is also a winner!

View attachment 23073

I've never seen that one. Looks like a later release than the others.

Back