ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched a youtube clip that I have never seen before...it's a long one..over an hour..and it's a discussion with various personalities about the Beatles influences...very candid responses from some interesting people...if you haven't seen this and have an hour to devote to some beatles and music discussion...it's pretty cool...

[video=youtube;Up5NniJnzHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up5NniJnzHk[/video]

I just watched a youtube clip that I have never seen before...it's a long one..over an hour..and it's a discussion with various personalities about the Beatles influences...very candid responses from some interesting people...if you haven't seen this and have an hour to devote to some beatles and music discussion...it's pretty cool...

Thanks Clint...You made my day! That was a great look back. At least 2 of the participants said they were 11 years old at the time - and so was I so this was an added extra personal touch for me. I loved Mick Jones' (Foreigner) comments about playing in France with the Beatles (before they did Ed Sullivan) and how the band had an "aura" around them as they played. He said they were so tight and he knew this was something amazing that he was witnessing. I did a lot of grinning as I watched the video.

I love the early Beatles era. I think it often gets over-shadowed by Pepper and beyond. To me those early songs are so pure and simple but so amazingly, absolutely, can't change one note perfect.

Thanks Clint...You made my day! That was a great look back. At least 2 of the participants said they were 11 years old at the time - and so was I so this was an added extra personal touch for me. I loved Mick Jones' (Foreigner) comments about playing in France with the Beatles (before they did Ed Sullivan) and how the band had an "aura" around them as they played. He said they were so tight and he knew this was something amazing that he was witnessing. I did a lot of grinning as I watched the video.

I love the early Beatles era. I think it often gets over-shadowed by Pepper and beyond. To me those early songs are so pure and simple but so amazingly, absolutely, can't change one note perfect.

I liked the different responses/views of things from people involved during that period..and views from other people in the music business..I think the point that was brought out..in this discussion... that never gets talked about is how well written these songs were...they appear to be simplistic verses but have such wide appeal...especially true of the earlier releases...and to have 3 talented writers in one band was unheard of...and the mere fact that the band did write their own material...which never happened in those days...just shows how far ahead they were in many aspects of the music business..

One of my alltime favorite concerts is this one..its right up their with Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles..it's a greatest hits concert that's around 3 hours long...and he does Empty Garden which is a rarity for him...if you buy the disc just skip the hokey birthday announcement in the middle of the performance...

since you mentioned EJ '60' birthday concert i have this great disc sitting out to play... even tho many other songs are close...easily my most favorite is Empty Garden. last night i happen to catch an old Sat. Night Live...4-17-1982....Johnny Cash was hosting which was cool....but guess what...Elton...performed Empty Garden! it was so AWESOME!! :brew

Yep, looks like a DiscWasher. Still have my original from 70s and am using it once again since I started spinning vinyl again a few months ago.

yep...still have mine too! $14.99 price tag on bottom..kind of expensive for the 70s!

image.jpg

(hmmm..don't know why it posted sideways)

View attachment 18043

for me this image is a powerful one... the backlighting..the smoke..gives that so fitting surreal 'aura'...

image.jpg

Last edited:
A tip: once you load the image, refresh the page. then, if all you get is no image with "Attachment #...", you'll need to download the page again. It's a glitch in our software which I've run into lots of times.

Next year (2016), I hope to get a high-end record cleaning machine. Until then, I'll continue with my DiscKit, and use the Discwasher without it's fluid. I like the Dishwasher, but never liked the fluid, even though I sold literally tens of thousands of the things. I do like the stylus cleaning fluid, however.

DiscKit includes: Discwasher record cleaner, fluid, cleaning brush (for Dishwasher pad), stylus brush/magnifying mirror, stylus cleaning fluid, Zerostat, Zerostat tester light, wood base and plexi dust cover.
images-1.jpeg
images.jpeg

I watched that show this morning on my DVR. It was so great to see/hear him perform Empty Garden (Hey,, Hey Johnny.) The subject matter still saddens me. For me, Ball & Chain was a disappointing choice as the other song he performed. Though far from bad, I much prefer Dear John, Spiteful Child, Blue Eyes and where Have All the Good Times Gone. Jump Up! has always been one of my fave EJ albums. It was one of the first albums I bought that had been released on the (then new) CD format, first on a German Rocket CD.

"...say that you remember those good old Four Tops songs..."

since you mentioned EJ '60' birthday concert i have this great disc sitting out to play... even tho many other songs are close...easily my most favorite is Empty Garden. last night i happen to catch an old Sat. Night Live...4-17-1982....Johnny Cash was hosting which was cool....but guess what...Elton...performed Empty Garden! it was so AWESOME!! :brew

Speaking of music...I decided to watch Eddie And The Cruisers today...I really depend on my HD-DVR..even with all the channels I get...there are times they just don't have what I want...and all my blu ray movies...sometimes it's not what I'm looking for...could you image if we had these things "back in the day"...HDTV...DVR's..blu ray...dvd audio...sacd...with all the super groups that were around at that time...geeze...anyway when I see Eddie Wilson on my TV it takes me back in a mystical way to days when I could go to a club and hear a dynamite band like the fictional Cruisers...what a great way to spend a quiet Sunday Afternoon...I don't even have to worry about a De Lorean needing a flux capacitor..I can just sit on my couch and enjoy the ride:music

Well, it's a rainy Sunday, a real sports black-hole day (I don't like golf - sorry), so because of posts earlier in the thread, my wife and I watched the Grammy Beatles Salute that was still on my DVR, commercials and all. (Was kinda creepy to see the promo touting Robin Williams in "The Crazy Ones" on CBS!) Anyway, as I remembered, the best performance (non-Beatle) to me was still "Hey Bulldog". Such a great tune that hasn't been played to death, and despite them screwing up the lyrics, it was a rockin' version that the crowd really got into.

Thanks for bringing this one up in the thread.

Well...I couldn't get enough nostalgia...so back to my time machine(DVR) and I'm watching The Buddy Holly Story...this film was made in 1978..which was 19 years after his death... and Gary Busey did a great job as Buddy Holly...

I've seen it several times and have a DVD I've never watched.

Too many pieces of software, not enough time.

Well...I couldn't get enough nostalgia...so back to my time machine(DVR) and I'm watching The Buddy Holly Story...this film was made in 1978..which was 19 years after his death... and Gary Busey did a great job as Buddy Holly...

A few weeks ago, my movie channel played La Bamba...a nice film about Ritchie Valens. Lou Diamond Phillips gives wonderful portrayal of Ritchie. And it has an excellent soundtrack performed by Los Lobos and others.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAWPrCUQQ0[/video]

It was nice to see Brian Setzer in it, too.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A-06smbzeIs[/video]

Here's some rare footage of Ritchie.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvml-2eiMM[/video]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back