Tears for Fears - "The Seeds of Love" (Steven Wilson 5.1 Remix out on October 9th!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow is there any recent word about a Seeds of Love deluxe set? Or a release of this album in 5.1?

Wow is there any recent word about a Seeds of Love deluxe set? Or a release of this album in 5.1?

This 5.1 mix was finished a few years ago, but it still has not been released yet.
Next year is the album’s 30th anniversary, so it should happen next year, but then again, sometimes record labels are known to miss anniversaries too...

:rolleyes:

Bob Clearmountain's Stereo remixes of of few tracks from the album are so good, imagine if he'd done the 5.1 mix.

Well Simon...after I win the Mega Millions lottery prize of over $970 MILL...(sorry Gos)I will be contacting Bob to make him an offer he can't refuse...over the years he has made surround mixes of most of the titles he has worked on....so most of those were never released in surround...my offer of 50 MIL... plus paying all the expenses to produce the albums for me and 1,000 of my closest friends so I can give them away to surround lovers..

Well Simon...after I win the Mega Millions lottery prize of over $970 MILL...(sorry Gos)I will be contacting Bob to make him an offer he can't refuse...over the years he has made surround mixes of most of the titles he has worked on....so most of those were never released in surround...my offer of 50 MIL... plus paying all the expenses to produce the albums for me and 1,000 of my closest friends so I can give them away to surround lovers..
I know which quote you're referring to, and my understanding of it is that Clearmountain has made surround mixes while also doing the stereo mixes of everything he has done since about 2000 or so. I didn't take that comment to mean he has gone back and remixed things he worked on prior to that time. How would he even have access to the tapes or the permission to do so? And for what reason? Just for his own enjoyment of mixing them without being paid to do so?

He's done some nice work since 2000, but nothing I'd pay 50 MIL for! o_O

I know which quote you're referring to, and my understanding of it is that Clearmountain has made surround mixes while also doing the stereo mixes of everything he has done since about 2000 or so. I didn't take that comment to mean he has gone back and remixed things he worked on prior to that time. How would he even have access to the tapes or the permission to do so? And for what reason? Just for his own enjoyment of mixing them without being paid to do so?

He's done some nice work since 2000, but nothing I'd pay 50 MIL for! o_O

If you had $970 MILL 50 MILL wouldn't be a big deal...and yes I was talking about the quote..and you do understand it was a joke...I HOPE:cool:

If you had $970 MILL 50 MILL wouldn't be a big deal...and yes I was talking about the quote..and you do understand it was a joke...I HOPE:cool:

50MIL is ALWAYS a big deal! :eek:

And if I won the lottery, I'd spend the same 50MIL to hire Wilson or Clearmountain or SOMEBODY to remix all my favorite albums into 5.1 for the whole world to enjoy! Even some of the most stubborn labels and artists must have a price? :giggle:

I like Clearmountain’s 5.1 mixes a lot, but for me, Steven Wilson is the best, so I don’t think they could have found anyone better to mix this album in surround sound.

:)

Oh believe me, I'm not denigrating Mr. Wilson's work at all but the way I look at it is: If Bob Clearmountain was hired to do a 5.1 mix of a Porcupine Tree album, what would be the band's fans' first reaction? The fact that Mr. Clearmountain has mixed some of the album and the fact that his 5.1 mixes are rather superb, I would have loved to his version of the 5.1 mix, that's all. I'm still looking forward to hearing the (hopefully) upcoming Blu-Ray.

I think Bob's mix of "Exodus" may be one of the best single 5.1 mixes I've ever heard. It is just so natural and expansive, and the way the talkbox guitar slowly gushes forth from the left side out towards the rear left of the listening area is ridiculously good. I think Bob did a better job with Legend and Reckless than Steven did with Songs from the Big Chair or Nonsuch but I do love how he mixes his solo and PT stuff.

As I have already alluded to in several threads, 2019 marks the 30th anniversary of this album's release, and so expectations are very high that Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix will finally be released this year, especially since there is this little tidbit in the new SoundonSound magazine, which includes a very substantial article on Steven Wilson's remix work:

At the time of writing, Wilson’s 5.1 remix of Seeds Of Love by Tears For Fears is awaiting release some time in 2019, its 30th anniversary year.

The article features a very lengthy section on the remix, and there's even a screenshot of SW's DAW layout for the title track. :)

Seeds of Love Screenshot.jpg

I certainly hope that any box set release of this album would contain this concert film:

Plus this (from Wikipedia):
A 64-page companion book to the album, entitled Tears for Fears – The Seeds of Love, was also released in 1990 by Virgin Books and offers insight into the writing and recording process behind the album as well as the sheet music for each song and rare promotional photographs from the period.

I certainly hope that any box set release of this album would contain this concert film:

I'm pretty sure they'll include it. The Hurting and Big Chair boxes included their respective concert videos so there's no reason to think that the Seeds of Love box wouldn't follow suit.

What I wish they would do (and I'm pretty certain that they won't) is go back to the original reels and create a new edit. While the concert itself is phenomenal, the editing on the video can be somewhat annoying. The constant quick abrupt cuts between camera angles (not to mention frequently switching back and forth between color and black and white) can get old pretty quick. When Peter Gabriel did his So box a while back, he did a completely new edit of the concert video from that era and removed all of the annoying 80's video artifacts. The new version was significantly more enjoyable.

Either way, it'll be nice to have an upgrade to my old VHS copy. I saw three nights on that tour and every night was amazing. You never would have known from the performances that there was so much friction between Roland and Curt at that time.

Back