Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Barnes and Noble are having their annual Criterion 50% off sale so stock up on those must sought after treasures and in another pretty awesome sale, Arrow Films and Zavvi are having a sale on Arrow Films ..... Buy 1 get one FREE. All details are here https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/barnes-noble-july-2019-criterion-sale/

Arrow Films website: https://arrowfilms.com/shop/10th-anniversary-sale/?pi=1

Zavvi link: https://www.zavvi.com/offers/arrow-shop/offer.list

Haven't seen the criterion version of this but I like this movie:

0715515229616_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg

Yeah, they chalk a lot up to one scene of people fleeing the tent. I'll report back.
Meanwhile, I'd love a top 5 from y'all.
Saving Private Ryan, yeah?

Since I'm not set up for ATMOS I just rely on the reviews from blu.ray.com and highdefdigest https://www.highdefdigest.com

I'm still peeved that a bunch of new movies are UPSCALED verus NATIVE [TRUE] UHD 4K while the older films are being remastered in NATIVE 4K. Ridiculous.

4K but mainly because of the atmos:

1. Baby Driver
2. Blade Runner
3. The Fifth Element
4. Prometheus (only 7.1 though)
5. Apocalypse Now (not yet released but gonna predict awesomeness)

Last edited:
On July 23rd, LIONSGATE FILMS will release the Native UHD 4K Theatrical and Final Cut of Oliver Stone's THE DOORS [HDR/DOLBY VISION/Dolby Atmos]

Read all about it: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25119

The Doors 4K (Blu-ray)

https://www.highdefwatch.com/post/t...the-final-cut-arriving-on-4k-ultra-hd-july-23
Remastered from the original negative that was scanned in 4K 16-bit on ARRISCAN at FotoKem US, the restoration was managed by L’Immagine Ritrovata in Italy with the close support of Oliver Stone who oversaw the color grading. The Dolby Atmos mix was created at Formosa Group under the supervision of Dolby and the original sound editors of the film: Wylie Stateman and Lon Bender. This new mix will offer audiences a unique, immersive experience of the amazing film soundtrack, which includes over twenty-five songs from The Doors back catalogue.

"This brand new 4K restoration of THE DOORS in Dolby Atmos will provide far greater overall clarity and dimension for the audience. During the many concert sequences, the sound now fills the auditorium above the audience, behind it, and all points in between. I wanted the film to be as immersive as possible to a real 60s Doors experience" said director Oliver Stone"

EXTRAS
Oliver Stone Commentary, NEW: Oliver Stone’s Interview and NEW: Sound Engineer Lon Bender’s Interview

Last edited:
I'm still peeved that a bunch of new movies are UPSCALED verus NATIVE [TRUE] UHD 4K while the older films are being remastered in NATIVE 4K. Ridiculous.
I saw a vid on YouTube a while ago that explained that the reason for this is that special effects are mastered in 2K due to the amount of time it takes to render them. If they mastered them in 4K, then it would increase production time by months. LOTS of computing power needed, apparently.

I saw a vid on YouTube a while ago that explained that the reason for this is that special effects are mastered in 2K due to the amount of time it takes to render them. If they mastered them in 4K, then it would increase production time by months. LOTS of computing power needed, apparently.

It's funny TIM that I heard the opposite ..... that because of the extreme expense of each special effect, they were rendered in 70mm which would exceed the 3500 lines of resolution ordinary 35mm offers. It probably has to do with the digital cameras which are used almost exclusively to create films today and I know some are capable of 6.5K resolution. It just seems odd that older catalogue titles are Native 4K [from 35mm film] and most of the new ones are Upscaled 2K which, IMO, negates the effectiveness of 4K. HDR+ and Dolby Vision certainly help but if the studios rationally expect purchasers to upgrade to the new format they're certainly not making it worth their while.

I still also find it odd that Criterion which almost exclusively [but not always] remasters their films in 4K usually from the original negatives is not releasing any 4K discs.....Even reissue company Kino Lorber released their first Native 4K movie [Hannibal].

4K but mainly because of the atmos:

1. Baby Driver
2. Blade Runner
3. The Fifth Element
4. Prometheus (only 7.1 though)
5. Apocalypse Now (not yet released but gonna predict awesomeness)
I have 5th Element. The normal BD is gladly Atmos as well. Will happily look in to the others. Original Blade Runner or reboot?

Last edited:
It's funny TIM that I heard the opposite ..... that because of the extreme expense of each special effect, they were rendered in 70mm which would exceed the 3500 lines of resolution ordinary 35mm offers. It probably has to do with the digital cameras which are used almost exclusively to create films today and I know some are capable of 6.5K resolution. It just seems odd that older catalogue titles are Native 4K [from 35mm film] and most of the new ones are Upscaled 2K which, IMO, negates the effectiveness of 4K. HDR+ and Dolby Vision certainly help but if the studios rationally expect purchasers to upgrade to the new format they're certainly not making it worth their while.
Ha! Internets giving conflicting "answers" as usual.

Whatever the reason, it would be good to have native 4K scans on 4K discs rather than 2K upscales. How it's known for sure that anything REALLY is a 2K upscale is a mystery to me though. I suspect that the info is "deduced" from the camera used, IMDB and Blu-ray.com but I'm taking whatever I read with a grain of salt.

I've watched enough 4K discs and compared with the BDs to decide that alleged 2K upscales still usually look head and shoulders above the BD, so I'll continue to purchase the 4K disc provided the price is right.

I might ask my nephew next time I see him as he works at Weta and should be able to get the word on how they're shot at least.

Ha! Internets giving conflicting "answers" as usual.

Whatever the reason, it would be good to have native 4K scans on 4K discs rather than 2K upscales. How it's known for sure that anything REALLY is a 2K upscale is a mystery to me though. I suspect that the info is "deduced" from the camera used, IMDB and Blu-ray.com but I'm taking whatever I read with a grain of salt.

I've watched enough 4K discs and compared with the BDs to decide that alleged 2K upscales still usually look head and shoulders above the BD, so I'll continue to purchase the 4K disc provided the price is right.

I might ask my nephew next time I see him as he works at Weta and should be able to get the word on how they're shot at least.

I agree on the UPGRADE whether it's upscaled or not especially when HDR and Dolby Vision is applied. Upscaled Baby Driver is a GREAT example. The colors of the apple red car are almost tactile. I just ordered a bunch of Native UHD 4K BDs in STEELBOOKS from our local Best Buy Store....Great deal on Bad Boys I & 2 [Native UHD 4K in STEELBOOK: $US 14.99], Waterworld and Field of Dreams.......with tax/free shipping roughly $13 per disc, delivered. Not a bad deal.

Has anyone tried the 6.0 LORD OF THE RINGS blu ray set in AURO-3D ? Just wondering what the result would be (yea, yea, could do that myself, but I'm using the summer to catch up on streaming series like TITANS, SWAMP THING, SABRINA season 2, Agents of Shield, etc., etc.). Want to try, though!

Btw, the last season of GOTHAM in blu ray is arriving July 9th. What a great series! Very glad I decided to get them all.

Back