Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DUMBO ATMOS

FULL AUTHORITATIVE Review anticipated.......Tim Burton's dark vision of an animated classic ......

See the source image

FULL AUTHORITATIVE Review anticipated.......Tim Burton's dark vision of an animated classic ......

See the source image
More tears than for the original cartoon, but for different reasons.
Very discrete Dumbo flying around the room.
Plenty of deep bass during the scenes criticized on blu-ray.com or wherever.
Discrete "Baby of Mine" and Danny Elfman tune during the credits.
My family will love this for years.

More tears than for the original cartoon, but for different reasons.
Very discrete Dumbo flying around the room.
Plenty of deep bass during the scenes criticized on blu-ray.com or wherever.
Discrete "Baby of Mine" and Danny Elfman tune during the credits.
My family will love this for years.

A Star is REBORN

See the source image

Thanks Mike and Lit'l Baggy for your vote of confidence

Wonder if we need separate regular Blu-ray (DTS HD Master Audio/Dolby TrueHD) and 4K (Dolby Atmos & whatever else) categories/threads moving forward? Like the segregation required when Blu-rays muddied the DVD waters.

Wonder if we need separate regular Blu-ray (DTS HD Master Audio/Dolby TrueHD) and 4K (Dolby Atmos & whatever else) categories/threads moving forward? Like the segregation required when Blu-rays muddied the DVD waters.

They say, Kid, the only thing that's permanent is CHANGE! Whether Atmos flies is anyone's guess ....... even though trying to promote 5.1 hasn't exactly been successful. And soundbars remind me of UNIBROWS!

Last edited:
It's funny TIM that I heard the opposite ..... that because of the extreme expense of each special effect, they were rendered in 70mm which would exceed the 3500 lines of resolution ordinary 35mm offers.

It was common to use 65mm/70mm or VistaVision for effects shots back in the all-film days because the large format negative could retain more quality after multiple generations than standard 35mm.

Apparently Apocalypse Now 4K will have Sensual Sound:

Quote:
But something has been lost in all the excitement over the extra content within Apocalypse Now Final Cut and Coppola's comments on working with Brando, which is the addition of "Sensual Sound."

Sensual Sound creates a "visceral, deep low-frequency impact" that hits audiences in the gut, according to the people who made it. Developed by Coppola's film company American Zoetrope in partnership with Meyer Sound Laboratories Inc. in Berkeley, Sensual Sound emits noises that reach viewers on a deeper physical level, making Apocalypse Now's helicopters, spears, and bombs feel like an immediate threat. Essentially, it sounds like artistic sonic warfare.

AV Magazine has the details:

Sensual Sound is implemented in both the post-production of the soundtrack and in the film’s exhibition using Meyer Sound’s VLFC very low-frequency control element. Unlike conventional subwoofers that roll off at the threshold of hearing (about 20Hz), the VLFC bridges across this threshold to deliver infrasonic response down to 13 Hz. All very low-frequency sounds are bolstered by a corporeal sensation of physical force.

“When you sense those extreme low-frequency sounds, immediately hormones are secreted into your bloodstream that tell you ‘get the hell out of here fast’ or ‘freeze and play dead,'” said Coppola. “When you see the B-52 strikes in this new version, you feel them and then you hear them. It’s the difference between just hearing something and being inside a room that’s shaking. You get scared when the room is shaking.”

Apparently Apocalypse Now 4K will have Sensual Sound:

Quote:
But something has been lost in all the excitement over the extra content within Apocalypse Now Final Cut and Coppola's comments on working with Brando, which is the addition of "Sensual Sound."

Sensual Sound creates a "visceral, deep low-frequency impact" that hits audiences in the gut, according to the people who made it. Developed by Coppola's film company American Zoetrope in partnership with Meyer Sound Laboratories Inc. in Berkeley, Sensual Sound emits noises that reach viewers on a deeper physical level, making Apocalypse Now's helicopters, spears, and bombs feel like an immediate threat. Essentially, it sounds like artistic sonic warfare.

AV Magazine has the details:

Sensual Sound is implemented in both the post-production of the soundtrack and in the film’s exhibition using Meyer Sound’s VLFC very low-frequency control element. Unlike conventional subwoofers that roll off at the threshold of hearing (about 20Hz), the VLFC bridges across this threshold to deliver infrasonic response down to 13 Hz. All very low-frequency sounds are bolstered by a corporeal sensation of physical force.

“When you sense those extreme low-frequency sounds, immediately hormones are secreted into your bloodstream that tell you ‘get the hell out of here fast’ or ‘freeze and play dead,'” said Coppola. “When you see the B-52 strikes in this new version, you feel them and then you hear them. It’s the difference between just hearing something and being inside a room that’s shaking. You get scared when the room is shaking.”

Sounds great - as long as it doesn't make me crap my pants:ROFLMAO: ...:oops:

This past 4th of July week end, I took advantage of some Best Buy and Deep Discount sales and should be receiving the following titles this week:

1} Mothra [Steelbook edition BD~V 1080p] 2 cuts including the complete Japanese cut and the US Theatrical version in DTS HD MA 5.1
2] Bad Boys I and II: [Best Buy Steelbook Exclusive Edition] NATIVE UHD 4K with remastered Dolby ATMOS soundtracks
3] Field of Dreams [Best Buy Steelbook Exclusive] Native UHD 4K with remastered Dolby Atmos Soundtrack
4] WaterWorld [Best Buy Steelbook Exclusive] Native UHD 4K with remastered Dolby Atmos Soundtrack/2 versions including the uncut released for TV edition

Mothra (Blu-ray)

Bad Boys I & II 4K (Blu-ray)

Field of Dreams 4K (Blu-ray)

Waterworld 4K (Blu-ray)

Last edited:
Back