Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, just pent up frustration for decades of ignoring the surround market, and I’m not gonna be around forever. That Bull Moose price of ~$120 and free shipping is much better, but around $99 point would be much more appealing to me (but still steep for that album!)
C'mon Pup...you know you are going to get this...quit playing hard to get....what would you do with that $20 anyway...shoe shine?..haircut?dental floss?:whistle::p:D:ROFLMAO:

Many of us have been waiting for proper Stones surround releases for a very long time. They are obviously testing the market waters with this release. If we really want this catalog in surround, then we should support this release and not worry so much over the price (as painful as it may be).

And the disc market is on life support as well....there won't be many more years of these offerings in the disc format....

Bob Clearmountain worked on it...
There's a lot of love for Clearmountain here. Don't forget he's also the guy who ruined all 80s music with his pioneering of the deafening reverse-gate snare sound. That meant almost anything I heard from when I was 15 to 25 years old was unlistenable. He destroyed my youth!

I also wasn't impressed with his "Music from Big Pink" surround mix, although his "The Band" album remix was better. Maybe it was a fault of the source tapes.

And the disc market is on life support as well....there won't be many more years of these offerings in the disc format....
that worries me - although if you could get 5.1 etc downloads I would be happy with that - but would still burn them to disk so as no to lose them on my computer (or forget about them....)

C'mon Pup...you know you are going to get this...quit playing hard to get....what would you do with that $20 anyway...shoe shine?..haircut?dental floss?:whistle::p:D:ROFLMAO:
Easy, buy a DV title!

Here’s my Top Five Stones albums (just not worthy of its own thread IMO)

1: Sticky Fingers 🤞
2: Let It Bleed 🩸
3: Some Girls 💃
4: It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll 🎸
5: Exile On Main Street 🛑

Something appears to be missing from that list:whistle:

There's a lot of love for Clearmountain here. Don't forget he's also the guy who ruined all 80s music with his pioneering of the deafening reverse-gate snare sound. That meant almost anything I heard from when I was 15 to 25 years old was unlistenable. He destroyed my youth!

I also wasn't impressed with his "Music from Big Pink" surround mix, although his "The Band" album remix was better. Maybe it was a fault of the source tapes.

IMO 80's music ruined itself...record companies tried to force feed a "sound" to the artists and a lot of the artists complied...after the music of the 60's and 70's a lot of the 80's music wasn't very relevant...of course if that was your "youth" period...then the music was fine...my friend Gos was a big deal in the 80's...everybody in his small rural community knew it...and Gos wore that distinction like a badge of honor....he terrorized the local citizenry...he drove with reckless abandon...he was known to take over the back roads with his 442...yes..for some...the 80's was a great time...but not in the music world...

I strongly disagree that his work on Music from Big Pink wasn't impressive...considering the source material...IMO he's right up there with Steven Wilson...and Elliot Scheiner...

Many of us have been waiting for proper Stones surround releases for a very long time. They are obviously testing the market waters with this release. If we really want this catalog in surround, then we should support this release and not worry so much over the price (as painful as it may be).
I agree with you and I do support many surround releases but not Goats Head Soup at this price! I am hoping for a steep price reduction for me to purchase this in the future. I look for Doobie Brothers Quadio - like Chicago Quadio great surround at a fair price. JMHO

IMO 80's music ruined itself...
You're right. There was a lot more to the 80s music fail then that snare sound. Maybe the corporate shmaltz music excesses of the 70s led to the rebellion of punk and new wave, and those were immediately co-opted by corporate pop music. Then... enter the synthesizer!
I strongly disagree that his work on Music from Big Pink wasn't impressive...considering the source material...IMO he's right up there with Steven Wilson...and Elliot Scheiner...
Steven Wilson, really? That's a bold statement in my book!

Really, though. I am glad you liked "Big Pink". Maybe I should give it another listen.

How do you feel about the mixes of "Music from Big Pink" in relation to the debut "The Band"?

I found it odd that Clearmountain might do a better job with an earlier Band album, since it seems more likely the multitracks would be funkier from the debut album. Maybe he learned something from the "Big Pink" mixes, and approached his mix of their first album with that in mind?

IMO 80's music ruined itself...record companies tried to force feed a "sound" to the artists and a lot of the artists complied...after the music of the 60's and 70's a lot of the 80's music wasn't very relevant...of course if that was your "youth" period...then the music was fine...my friend Gos was a big deal in the 80's...everybody in his small rural community knew it...and Gos wore that distinction like a badge of honor....he terrorized the local citizenry...he drove with reckless abandon...he was known to take over the back roads with his 442...yes..for some...the 80's was a great time...but not in the music world...

If only poor GOS had been born 10 years earlier!

Back