New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhh! Mine came with a smashed corner. So sick and tired of shitty, non protected packages.
image.jpg

This morning, I received John Lennon's Gimme Some Truth. The Ultimate Mixes (Deluxe Box Set) from the Moose.

I put the BD into my Oppo 203 and set it to Atmos. I initially listened to some of my favorite tracks on my 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos enabled (up firing speakers) system.

The Atmos tracks sounded good, slightly more immersive than the 24/96 DTS-HD MA 5.1 mix.

However, besides the 5.1 floor level speakers, only the rear Atmos enabled speakers had content. The front Atmos enabled speakers had no content. I entirely played five tracks and sampled ~15 tracks and this was consistent. No content from the front Atmos enabled speakers, only the rear Atmos speakers.

I thought something was wrong with my system, so I got out the 2016 Dolby Atmos demo disc and used the 5.1.4 test tones to check my system. No issues.

Need to find more time to sit down and give this a thorough listen. Just thought I'd give my initial impressions.

I'm a big Lennon fan so I'm glad I added this to my library.

View attachment 57554

View attachment 57556
I did some debugging today on my Atmos issue where I'm getting Atmos content from only my Dolby Atmos enabled (upfiring) rear speakers even though I have a 5.1.4 configuration. No content from the front (upfiring) speakers.

I changed my Denon 6200 from the normal Dolby Atmos enabled setup to TF+TR. I was forced to run Audyssey again but I only ran the minimum 3/8 passes and then I opted to complete.

I now have Atmos content coming from both my front and rear Atmos speakers!

[Cue up Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone theme].

I'm going to listen for a while with this (improper) but working Atmos setup. Later I'll switch back to the proper configuration and see if I lose my front Atmos (upfiring) speakers again.

Upon quick listen to the beginning of each track, I can confidently tell you that the later tracks, from Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey are really well done surround mixes. Very nice. The earlier tracks vary.

One thing I did notice is that #9 Dream pulls the lead guitars to the front channels, where on the Q8 they are in the rears. I need to do a real listen before I say anymore, but wow, 36 tracks in surround is a generous bunch. For $67 or whatever this was it's well worth it.

More probably tomorrow, and I will compare the Legend mixes to this, as well as see if I notice any difference between the Dolby and the DTS on this set. OBVIOUS differences

NOTE: I erroneously posted the above posts in the poll thread, so I moved them here where I originally intended them to go. Anyway,

Hopefully someone can confirm what I found. I guess how it sounds will depend on the system. The DTS files sounded great to me, but when I listen to the ripped Dolby and turn them up, they do seem to sound better. But again, my hearing is nothing to be used for critical listening.

So you younger guys who can rip this stuff and check this out, PLEASE, report back what you see and most importantly what you hear. Nobody cares what the wave forms look like if the music sounds great. That's the bottom line.

So listen and report back. THANKS

Here's "Nobody Told Me":

Nobody Told Me.jpg

Back