New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Product description from amazon in Australia:

The definitive new Best Of John Lennon - 36 tracks completely remixed from master tapes, giving these classic songs a new life for generations to come and sounding better than ever before. 2 CD/Blu-ray features 36 tracks in hi-res stereo 96/24 PCM, new 5.1 surround mixes and Dolby Atmos for the ultimate immersive experience. With an incredible 124-page book with rare photos and extensive notes from John, Yoko and more. Foldout 2-sided poster, 2 postcards and Gimme Some Truth bumper sticker.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08GG2...&keywords=seeds+of+love&qid=1598277477&sr=8-1
Pre-order here from amazon UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TBC/dp/B08GG2DFWH/?tag=shforums.uk-21

:)

Brilliant, let's make October September too! ;-)
Sooo, does this mean that the tracklist is 18 + 18 tracks from the first two discs of the 10-year-old 4-CD compilation Gimme Some Truth?
Edit: Some insider info via the other forum claims that there's gonna be a number of tracks NOT included on GST at all.
1598279082763.png

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see what is actually showing up in surround with this release. There are probably 6 or so of the 36 tracks that come from Imagine that would be redundant, and they would likely be the same tame 5.1 mixes that came with the Imagine release. I don't care for much of the Rock&Roll cover album he did, but surround tracks from Walls and Bridges, Sometime in NYC, Plastic Ono Band, Double Fantasy, and the early 70's singles would be most welcome though.

I'm waiting to see what is actually showing up in surround with this release. There are probably 6 or so of the 36 tracks that come from Imagine that would be redundant, and they would likely be the same tame 5.1 mixes that came with the Imagine release. I don't care for much of the Rock&Roll cover album he did, but surround tracks from Walls and Bridges, Sometime in NYC, Plastic Ono Band, Double Fantasy, and the early 70's singles would be most welcome though.

not sure the 5.1 mixes would be the same since they are in atmos also and since the other songs never even had a 5.1 mix seems like they would have to be newly mixed for 5.1 and atmos so why not just newly mix those 6 songs also?

Probably the same mix engineer as Imagine... remind me who was that, Giles? :unsure:

I’d prefer my fav. Walls and Bridges be a dedicated set, but 50th is not until 2024- ugh 😩

Last edited:
Probably the same mix engineer as Imagine... remind me who was that, Giles? :unsure:

Giles had no involvement in the Imagine set. The main album 5.1 was by Paul Hicks (with supervision from Yoko) and the 'Raw Studio Mixes' were by Rob Stevens & Paul Goodrich.

Truth be told, I was hoping for a 40th set of Double Fantasy this year - but this is exciting news nonetheless :)

not sure the 5.1 mixes would be the same since they are in atmos also and since the other songs never even had a 5.1 mix seems like they would have to be newly mixed for 5.1 and atmos so why not just newly mix those 6 songs also?
From my standpoint, the Atmos dosen't matter, since I cant play it. I would also venture a guess that changing an existing 5.1 mix into 7.1 Atmos is more like an upmix than a re-mix. I mean, how much discrete height info is there in something like Imagine or How do you Sleep?. And then think of how tame the official 5.1 tracks were. It dosen't sound like we are going to get any raw studio mixes on this, and that was the selling point for me with the Imagine set.

From my standpoint, the Atmos dosen't matter, since I cant play it. I would also venture a guess that changing an existing 5.1 mix into 7.1 Atmos is more like an upmix than a re-mix. I mean, how much discrete height info is there in something like Imagine or How do you Sleep?. And then think of how tame the official 5.1 tracks were. It dosen't sound like we are going to get any raw studio mixes on this, and that was the selling point for me with the Imagine set.
Not having heard Atmos with height speakers, perhaps the mix could benefit from more of a room type spatial mix, than outright discrete on the ceiling placement. Don’t want to make this into an Atmos thread, but it could add more spatial realism.

I hear what your saying but it just seems like it would be a massive "cheap out" to hire a new mixer (who also knows atmos) to mix 5/6 of the songs and then just upmix 1/6 of the already mixed songs (into atmos).

I'm just saying, if you're sitting at the control panel and mixing 5/6 of the songs why not just mix the other 1/6 while your at it?

Back