Steven Wilson Fun Poll: Predict Steven Wilson's 2021 5.1/Atmos Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to waste my shot (as Lin-Manuel Miranda would say), but after listening to SW on The Prog Report--see the thread that @Tintin started--I'm gonna go with Blue Moves.

Not my favorite Elton John album, but it's Wilson's (I've also heard him rhapsodize about it on The Album Years podcast), and he thinks it's tragically underrated. Plus, it's Universal; plus, it would sell. And hey, Sir E is now Wilson's Personal Shopper.

(My second choice would be another one he mentions both on The Prog Report and The Album Years, even talking about how brilliantly it would lend itself to surround: Massive Attack's Mezzanine. But I guess that's not exactly "classic rock.")

Actually, Greg Penny has said that he did Blue Moves a good while back as part of a batch of Elton 5.1s that remains unreleased (along with Caribou, Don’t Shoot Me I’m Only The Piano Player, and Rock Of The Westies).

Actually, Greg Penny has said that he did Blue Moves a good while back as part of a batch of Elton 5.1s that remains unreleased (along with Caribou, Don’t Shoot Me I’m Only The Piano Player, and Rock Of The Westies).

Right. I guess I've just given up on any of those ever seeing the light. (Unless Steven asks for Penny's 5.1 to be included with his brand-spanking-new Atmos mix of Blue Moves, that is!)

Last edited:
I'd say yes, and I'm hoping people will be a little more creative with their guesses than the stuff like this that's already been quasi-announced.

Some interesting ones thusfar though - I hope everyone will have a good think and toss their hat in the ring. I don't think people should limit themselves to only anniversary year releases either - as was pointed out above, some of SW's recent mixes haven't been exactly on their anniversary.

I'm wondering if the "'70s metal" album is something by a band like Judas Priest? There really aren't that many '70s metal bands to choose from (I'd argue the majority of the heavier music of that era was more in the hard rock genre) so I would think it would be something like that - anyone got any other likely candidates?
If there’s a Priest album, and a 70s one at that, begging for a SW surround mix it’s Sad Wings Of Destiny.

The couple new album remixes I have helped on -I didn't know Steven actually liked these bands 😄

You could say they are Classic Rock? Hard Rock?
Based on this comment by @Plan9, I’m going to go with a great early 70s album that would be a great candidate for the Wilson surround treatment: Captain Beyond’s eponymous debut.

I can only predict that he will not do another 5.1 mixes of some Genesis albums because he doesn't like the band. But knowing his eclectic taste in music he can mix anything if he enjoys the band. I would like him to do another Rush Moving Pictures mix or maybe Yes Going for the One.

Inspired by SW doing Ultravox (and wanting to do Talk Talk) what about...

Peter Gabriel 3 (Melt). He's had surround mixes previously. It's 'prog' but also 80s synth pop rock.

Even more pop, with synths but still with guitars, what about Duran Duran - Rio. They've had a surround release in the past as well.

Even poppier, but with inventive stereo remixes , Into The Gap by The Thompsons Twins.

I think PG3 is genuinely plausible, Duran and TTs are very unlikely but are not totally impossible. Just thought I'd suggest something closer to UVox than Tull.

Even poppier, but with inventive stereo remixes , Into The Gap by The Thompsons Twins.
Into the Gap is poppy, but it is very well recorded and has a lot of layers musically, as well as a lot of ambiance. It would make a great Atmos album. I use the 12" 45 of "Hold Me Now" as one of my demo discs for my stereo. Great sounding reverb trails.

He’s already got a 5.1 mix of “Made in Japan” in the can, so we know he must like Deep Purple. How about Ritchie Blackmore’s “Rainbow Rising”? That seems to fall under the Rock/Metal category. It is also the 45th anniversary of its release. I think a SW 5.1 mix of “Stargazer” would sound phenomenal.

Deep Purple is one of those bands I own all their albums, some of them in different formats and, of course, all their surround mixes: Stormbringer, Machine Head, Concerto For Group And Orchestra... It would be amazing if Mr. Wilson remixed the In Rock album.

But the band I would love to listen to in surround would be Tool, any of their albums or a Video compilation in Bluray with a surround mix.

Back