Steven Wilson Fun Poll: Predict Steven Wilson's 2021 5.1/Atmos Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Gabriel 3 (Melt). He's had surround mixes previously. It's 'prog' but also 80s synth pop rock.

Ohhh, this one is *way* near the top of my surround sound wish list. I didn’t make it my “official” prediction because its anniversary year has passed (2020 was the 40th anniversary).

However, Steven has repeatedly said he would love to tackle the Gabriel catalog, so perhaps it could end up being a new series of his (a la Yes/XTC/King Crimson/etc.) that isn’t tied to anniversary years or anything.

In any case, the Gabriel albums pre-So would be to die for in surround. The pre-So tracks that are on the Play DVD are all live versions or upmixes or *really* weird alternate mixes (for example, “Games Without Frontiers” is missing whole swaths of guitars and synths, and sounds really barren), so faithful surround mixes of those albums are pretty much a holy grail for me.

I mean...Universal did commission an Atmos remix of the title track for Tidal (as one of "thousands of songs" they were supposedly readying for release--a handful of which have trickled out). So...why not?

Not even a trickle, really — there was the initial batch back in May or whenever, and then *nothing* since then (at least in the 60s-90s realm) as far as mixes created especially for Tidal.

I'd buy 1984 in Atmos (no not the movie).

Yeah, I'd have to say Van Halen's 1984 definitely needs an Atmos edition! :D (I know Steven Wilson is such a big fan of Eddie shredding too! :LOL: )

Might as well Jump....(Jump!)

(None of that later Van Hagar material is needed, though except maybe Poundcake and perhaps Right Now)...just kidding...sort of. ;)

Looking into my crystal ball, I see that an Atmos mix of U2 - Achtung Baby will be released to mark the album’s 30th anniversary.

Please, no requests for winning lottery numbers...

Come on, just the Pick 4; I'm not greedy. :D

It would be cool to hear Mysterious Ways' bass line circle around the room (even weirder; put it on the ceiling).

I'm wondering if the "'70s metal" album is something by a band like Judas Priest? There really aren't that many '70s metal bands to choose from (I'd argue the majority of the heavier music of that era was more in the hard rock genre) so I would think it would be something like that - anyone got any other likely candidates?

I would think Sad Wings of Destiny from Judas Priest would be a great pick. Sabbath aside, this is an album that forged and shaped the sound of metal to come. It also lends itself to surround with its hints of progressive/psychedelic sound, soaring vocals, and the overall tempo of the album.

Plus it's one of my all-time favorite albums regardless of genre :smokin

Back