Steven Wilson Fun Poll: Predict Steven Wilson's 2021 5.1/Atmos Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He mentions it in this article. HRAC Exclusive: Steven Wilson Talks Hi-Res, 'To the Bone' & 5.1 Mixing Aspirations - Hi Res Audio Central

“There are a lot of things I’ve done that have gotten shelved. I mean, Deep Purple’s Made in Japan (1973) — I did that years ago, and it never came out.”

And yet it was released a few years ago as a Stereo BD~A .... talk about a missed opportunity!

See the source image

Guessing the "classic rock" definition would depend on Wilson's interpretation of the genre. Would love a Priest 5.1 but I wouldn't consider them classic rock, or Sabbath. Harder rock but big radio play, AC/DC would be phenomenal. Van Halen 1984 or the 1st album, ZEP IV, who knows... I hope they are from artists who we've gotten little to no surround in and definitely rock. I'm done buying most progressive rock albums, they just aren't my thing.

Premiata Forneria Marconi - premier Italian prog band signed to ELP's Manticore label with Pete Sinfield assisting with English lyrics. Fantastic band I had elbows on the stage looking up at them in 1974.
Photo Of Ghosts was an album people got at school as a direct result of it being on ELP's Manticore label, and us prog heads were impressed. Now for a bit of boasting from my long past days of musical fun, well it was many many decades ago..... it was even when I had hair! I stood on the side of the stage (at the promoters invite) in '76 at Hemel Hempstead Pavilion watching them on their Chocolate Kings tour, Back Door were the support, both were excellent. All great musicians. I have all the albums of both bands as a result.

Out of curiosity does anyone know who owns PFM's catalog? I cant imagine any of the members objecting to selling more albums by going the surround route or to a multi track remix....assuming the tapes are still available. Lets hope the recording studios in Italy arent like their postal service.

Note I love Italy have visited there love their gelato coffee people everything........

Out of curiosity does anyone know who owns PFM's catalog? I cant imagine any of the members objecting to selling more albums by going the surround route or to a multi track remix....assuming the tapes are still available. Lets hope the recording studios in Italy arent like their postal service.

Note I love Italy have visited there love their gelato coffee people everything........
PFM Archives - Cherry Red Records

Edit: 2017's Emotional Tattoos was on Inside Out

It would be great if Broadsword went from 'not going to do it in 5.1', to Atmos sound by Steven Wilson.

17wTfa8.jpg
Somehow, I don't see that happening, as it would mean a departure from the (inexpensive) DVD-V format. I hold out hope that we will one day be graced with the full catalogue of Steven Wilson's Tull surround remixes in lossless, though it seems more and more likely that if that should happen, it will not be in a physical format. But if it were to be physical, on Blu-rays, lossless Atmos mixes could be included.

Now, it's possible that SW could do an Atmos mix of Broadsword for a streaming release... Although that wouldn't be lossless.

Somehow, I don't see that happening, as it would mean a departure from the (inexpensive) DVD-V format. I hold out hope that we will one day be graced with the full catalogue of Steven Wilson's Tull surround remixes in lossless, though it seems more and more likely that if that should happen, it will not be in a physical format. But if it were to be physical, on Blu-rays, lossless Atmos mixes could be included.

Now, it's possible that SW could do an Atmos mix of Broadsword for a streaming release... Although that wouldn't be lossless.

Pretty sure SW mentioned that in the interview by the member here...

Back