Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m about to enter my 14th year on this forum, 22 years of following Porcupine Tree, and over 45 years of buying music, but these days I am being priced out of all these releases where boxed sets are the only way of buying the surround disc. £50 or so to get a surround mix… I just can’t justify it to my limited budget.

I now mainly stick to the £12 CD version in many cases - but the upside is that I am buying it purely for the music now, and in many cases I have to say I’m enjoying it more. Rather than critically listening to how the surround has been mixed, or the fidelity, I‘m just enjoying the music for what it is.

Of course I will be in a minority here! And I will still buy standalone issues, and the occasional box set, but wish I wasn’t having to be so selective ! 😕
You're not alone. I have noticed surround editions becoming gradually more expensive and it's had me evaluating which release I want more.

Cool song! The bass intro immediately made made me think of ".3" from In Absentia. Definitely bummed about no standalone Blu-Ray option though - I wonder if this has to do with the new label not wanting to go that route? Pretty much every other PT/SW release up until now had an inexpensive CD/DVD-A, CD/Blu-Ray, or single Blu-Ray release.

Excited about a new PT release like the new song. If Abba can wait 40 years than come back and still sound like Abba so can PT after a decade.
However I am done with bloated overpriced deluxe box sets. I don't need vanity "art" books I will never look at more than once or other ephemera.
Its either ego or a cash grab from loyal fans. Its not the label. I am sure Steven Wilson has the pull to issue a stand alone bluray. He has chosen not to.
I will pick up the cd next June.

Excited about a new PT release like the new song. If Abba can wait 40 years than come back and still sound like Abba so can PT after a decade.
However I am done with bloated overpriced deluxe box sets. I don't need vanity "art" books I will never look at more than once or other ephemera.
Its either ego or a cash grab from loyal fans. Its not the label. I am sure Steven Wilson has the pull to issue a stand alone bluray. He has chosen not to.
I will pick up the cd next June.

The box set is exclusive, but that doesn't mean the bluray will be too. If I recall correctly, the stand alone bluray for TFB wasn't announced until well after the box.

Again - after over a decade of issuing inexpensive standalone discs, it seems highly unlikely to me that he'd suddenly want to cash in on the surround aspect. Show me the evidence for what you're suggesting.

The box set is exclusive, but that doesn't mean the bluray will be too. If I recall correctly, the stand alone bluray for TFB wasn't announced until well after the box.

I’d be surprised if they don’t, at least once the box set stops being produced. You have to laugh though…. All those anti mp3 interviews Steven Wilson gave along the lines of wanting his music heard in the highest quality…. And he releases a standalone cassette tape, but not a Blu Ray!

This all looks like a déjà vu, taking me back to the beginning of the century: within one week we've had new tracks from PT, Marillion and Riverside. And all of them touring next year!
BTW, I won't copy the content as it may not be appropriate here, but if you want to laugh, look for Nick Beggs' Twitter about his involvement on the record (yes, the one about the mule and the vicar)

Definitely recommend JPC for stateside orders. I’ve ordered several box sets from them and they’ve always come through in a good way.
Thanks for the recommendation, but I try to avoid any companies that offer non trackable shipments. I'll let the reservation in Amazon Germany stay for now, but I hope it'll end up appearing everywhere with better prices. And most likely I'll downgrade to a standalone Blu-ray it we're eventually given this option. I also like to have the option to cancel until I have more information about the contents of the release, as I must confess I hate Hajo Mueller's illustrations for The Incident, for example. I hope PT goes back to Carl Glover photografies instead of the dark, mad Mueller designs

I'm in but not willing to pre-order this far ahead. If I miss out then so be it.
It does seem a bit expensive for a cd/blu-ray package but we are all going to breakdown and get this. I didn't think we'd ever see another PT album. I am hoping for a stand alone but I can't believe it would be so limited that if you don't order it now you will be shut out.

Back