Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What great news! I assumed they were done as a band. I had grown pretty tired of them by The Incident, but have been listening to a lot of In Absentia, in particular, the last few years. So happy to have Apple music. My house is already full of stuff, like scarves and marbles.

This was a nice surprise to wake up to. The song is pretty decent as well. Super bummed that I'll have to shell out ~$100 for that deluxe set. I hope they add a little bit more material because a surround mix and 3 additional songs for ~$60 more is a complete ripoff.

Since Insurgentes, I have purchased every SW/PT deluxe edition. Until The Future Bites, I was never disappointed, The contents of the TFB edition was "scarves and marbles" to me. That said I was, without question, ordering the deluxe version of C/C. Even if a stand alone blu-ray was offered.

I agree with @fthesoundguy in wanting more content on this blu-ray than is mentioned in the press release. Steven has shown that he can have good documentaries about the recording produced with "Ask Me Nicely" and the documentary in the In Absentia deluxe set. He's also shown that he can write a decent production journal on To the Bone. The first Porcupine Tree album in over a decade deserves a production journal of some sort. The recent Transatlantic, LTE, and Dream Theater releases all have a video journals. The View... has both video and written accounts. On top of that ask, I want the instrumentals (which I really don't care about) and bonus tracks in 5.1 and Atmos. As Steven has said in podcast interviews, you have the mix, so why not provide the instrumental. The same thought applies to multi-channel. The Blu-ray has the space. Take a lesson from Bruce Soord, pack your discs!

It's going to be wait and see for me. I just don't give a toot about Deluxe editions in general, CD's, memorabilia, postcards, signed anything, and all that, although added content on BD's is appreciated.
I only want the BD and right now can't see paying `$100 for stuff to toss in the corner after a quick look.
C'mon Wilson, thanks but give us old folks a break on prices. I mean I love your music dude, but this is like a self-fulfilling take on The Future Bites...
So with high hopes for a lower priced BD only edition I'll bide my time.

><><><><><><
Gavin Harrison is just everywhere. I love that. If he's not the best prog drummer around then tell me who is.

John Wesley is out of the project as well...although he was a hired gun, and never a part of the band it sucks that he won't join them.
He posted "ivemovedon" and then replied the following to a user:

"had to clear the air …. So many people were messaging me. It was not fair or right to continue the silence. It was a stupid game that I care not play. I meant nothing to the band … but the people that cared enough to write me, deserve an answer."

Last edited:
Unlikely in my opinion. From an interview I heard/read, Steven has no interest in revisiting PT's early catalog. He remixed all he wanted to with Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun.

Oh I'm not talking about remixing anything-- just reissuing some of the out of print surround stuff (Like he did with In Absentia).

John Wesley is out of the project as well...although he was a hired gun, and never a part of the band it sucks that he won't join them.

"had to clear the air …. So many people were messaging me. It was not fair or right to continue the silence. It was a stupid game that I care not play. I meant nothing to the band … but the people that cared enough to write me, deserve an answer."
For me it's hard to imagine listening to "My Ashes" and not hear John singing.

But, this is the music business and bands or individuals hire whom they want to fill a need, and they have every right to. For goodness sake look at Steely Dan.

What kills us (well me anyway) is it just feels like John Wesley should be a bonafide member of PT.

For me it's hard to imagine listening to "My Ashes" and not hear John singing.

But, this is the music business and bands or individuals hire whom they want to fill a need, and they have every right to. For goodness sake look at Steely Dan.

What kills us (well me anyway) is it just feels like John Wesley should be a bonafide member of PT.
Man, I hear you on that. He is just spectacular on that cut.

Such a shame. As much as we worship SW around here, he does seem to leave a wake of bad blood in his path, especially some of the musicians he has worked with over the years.

You know that all the way down to the club level circuit bands -some of which I've known that eventually got record deals like Molly Hatchet- often make arbitrary decisions on who stays and who goes.
A band originally out of North Carolina had a super good guitar player, but he didn't fit the image the other guys wanted, wasn't flashy enough or whatever that was so they drummed him out. I saw the handwriting on the wall and wasn't surprised when everyone was gone but the singer, and he replaced them with other musicians that I suppose he thought were a better fit. They did get a record deal and cut 2 or 3 albums then settled in as a house band when things died down. So it goes.
They weren't my friends, really, but I always had a good time with them.

Such a shame. As much as we worship SW around here, he does seem to leave a wake of bad blood in his path, especially some of the musicians he has worked with over the years.
Yeah I've been a big fan of his music for about 20 years now but he does seem to burn a few bridges. I suppose it's fitting that he got along so well with Aviv Geffen - they both are nice to people they respect musically and tend to be kind of nasty to others.
He's also really protective of his creative license over his music, an dis very adamant that all his music is "his" music. I was at his show a few years ago and he played "Drown With Me" - someone in the audience said it was a Porcupine Tree song, and he took about two minutes to sternly explain that it was "his" song, that he wrote while in Porcupine Tree, not a Porcupine Tree song. Like, we get it, we all know you wrote the songs.
Shame about what happened with Marco and Guthrie as well.

I woke up at 3:00 AM to buy tickets to the London concert, as we will be in the UK at that time. Unfortunately, Ticketmaster only holds the tickets for 2 minutes, and I haven't logged in to buy tickets since I bought this computer, so I had to find my damn password, and the two minutes elapsed. I had two tickets in the 3rd row, and by the time I was able to get 2 more tickets to come up, they were in the rafters. So much for getting tickets during the artist "presale". I didn't really want to make a special trip to London, but damn!

Harridan - When you see the word harridan, think of the Wicked Witch of the West — a mean-tempered, sharp-tongued old woman. ... It comes from seventeenth century slang, probably stemming from the French word haridelle, or "old horse."

Is this what the song is about? And if so, what era, Medieval, current, future, or timeless? Also, some kind of "spirit" or "witch" or the lasting effects from a love gone wrong? Almost reads like an Edgar Allan Poe. Gotta dig into these lyrics and visuals more!

-------------------------------------
Harridan Lyrics – Porcupine Tree

Gold man bites down on a silver tongue
Takes a deep breath and blows the candle out
He knows the truth but he keeps it to himself
Here it is
You can only save yourself
Only yourself

When we bite the dust
We will hide our cuts from the world
When you’re in the dirt
You don’t show your hurt to the world
When we bite the dust
When you’re in the dirt

Cold man, white knuckles on the wheel
Well it’s all just there to steal
You just gotta take it
Take it like the harridan you are

When we bite the dust
When you’re in the dirt

It’s the time of the almost rain without you
I am in debt to night
And gone to earth for love
And I, a shadow
And what of us?
And what of me?
And what is left without you?

When we bite the dust
When you’re in the dirt

It’s the time of the almost rain without you
I am in debt to night
And gone to earth for love
And I, a shadow
And what of us?
And what of me?
And what is left without you?

-----------------------------------------

So you folks that know PT well, what's it about?

Also listened to this on Apple Music -Apple TV 4K Atmos (just 5.1 core for me) last night and thought it sounded great with center focused bass and incredible drumming spread across the fronts, all very well defined and punchy. Some of the swirling around the outside speakers of guitar etc. at times sounded a little too far back (faint) in the mix though; and I'm wondering now if that was intentional, or perhaps will the 5.1 on the BD bring that out with more presence over the streaming audio?
a lot of talk about the cost and shipping :rolleyes: - what about the content?

Why would any artist ever allow a release to go out of print when they could sell HiDef downloads forever?

I"m sure HiDef downloads is a tiny insignificant market. And why sell a few HiDef downloads when you can just have it on the streaming services and get $0.02 every quarter.

Back