Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yasutaka Tsutsui, Kohsuke Ichihara, and Masahiko Satoh, デマ / Rumour (1973), in a SurroundMaster decode of the 2007 SQ-encoded CD reissue. A sci-fi writer teams up with a couple of sympathetic free-jazzers to supply the missing link between In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew (or maybe between In a Silent Way and Albert Ayler's Bells?).

1635785229168.png

McCoy Tyner, Song of the New World (1975 [1973]) and Enlightenment, Vols. 1 & 2 (1974 [1973]), both in conversions from Japanese CD4 (although Song was eventually released in the US on Q8 and "QuadraDisc" CD4). I love this kind of large-scale and/or large-ensemble stuff. New World is like McCoy's Africa/Brass Revisited, with Alphonse Mouzon impersonating Elvin Jones. Enlightenment was recorded live at Montreux with his core quartet.

1635790287879.png
1635790445063.png

Last edited:
Edgard Varèse, Offrandes/Intégrales/Octandre/Ecuatorial (Nonesuch, 1972), in a good conversion from quad reel. Yep--that guy, the one Robert Lamm name-checked. I'm not wild about the music, even though the rears are very actively mixed (which you can't always say for "classical" albums), and even if I often go for the long-haired stuff. But isn't it mind-blowing to imagine a time when a small-but-still-mainstream label could devote an entire line of records to "difficult" music by modern composers--and in quad, yet?

1635802307598.png

Last edited:
Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton, We Found It (1973), in a conversion from a discrete source. I don't listen to a whole lot of country music, but ever since watching Ken Burns's miniseries and listening to Jad Abumrad's Dolly Parton's America podcast, I've had a newfound respect for the Iron Butterfly. And these RCA Victor country quads often have some kickass mixes.

1635812243954.png

Joe Walsh, The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get (1973). Once again I've got the luxury of comparing two very decent conversions--one from Q8 (an "H" cart) and the other a software decode from QS LP. Channel separation isn't as good on the matrixed version, but the sonics are less-than-optimal on both. (Maybe that's just the way the album sounds? I haven't heard the AF remaster.)

I appreciate the James Gang version of Joe Walsh more than the later iterations, but I still like a fair number of tunes on this album ("Rocky Mountain Way," "Meadows," "Dreams," "Days Gone By"). I won't comment on the purportedly legit quad mix of So What, beyond saying that it sounds pretty convincing....

1635815078908.png

I’m Only Looking - INXS. Question - is anyone aware of a comprehensive list of rock/pop non-concert video compilation DVDs in 5.1? I just went through mine which include INXS, McCartney, Lennon, Gabriel, Springsteen, Utopia, Super Furry Animals, & Queen. Looks like MJ, Def Leppard, and the Jam have offerings. Anything else? Thanks.
Pretenders. Suzanne Vega. Peter Gabriel

War. I started out intending to listen to a new (to me) conversion of Deliver the Word, and then realized I hadn't heard The World Is A Ghetto in too long. So: Q8 conversions of both, from Canadian gold cart. In My Four-Cornered Room, yet. Ghetto is just one of those flawless albums. Word could almost be outtakes and filler, but I don't mind, especially if one of those outtakes is "Me and Baby Brother."

The new Greatest Hits 2.0 collection is said to have used "original masters." Stereo masters, one presumes, but do the multis still exist?

1635824192503.png
1635824076794.png

I’m Only Looking - INXS. Question - is anyone aware of a comprehensive list of rock/pop non-concert video compilation DVDs in 5.1? Looks like MJ, Def Leppard, and the Jam have offerings.

I tried The Jam and was not at all impressed. It was a few years ago now so I can't remember the precise details but I think it was just added reverb (same for The Style Council and Stone Roses collections). If you see them cheap maybe give them a try but I wouldn't waste too much money if you are mainly buying for the surround.

Kurt Weill, two early works: Concerto for Violin and Wind Orchestra (Susanne Lautenbacher, Detmold Wind Ensemble/Jost Michaels) and the Quodlibet Suite (Westphalian Symphony Orchestra/Siegfried Landau). These were recorded in the mid-70s and originally issued on two different Vox Candide QS LPs in 1978; I found them on a Vox Box CD reissue with QS encoding intact. A QQ friend kindly ran them through the SurroundMaster for me.

(Both works have subsequently gotten more modern surround recordings--Quodlibet on Chandos and the Violin Concerto on Sono Luminus. But you can't have enough Kurt Weill.)

1635902626737.png
1635902174407.png

Last edited:
Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton, We Found It (1973), in a conversion from a discrete source. I don't listen to a whole lot of country music, but ever since watching Ken Burns's miniseries and listening to Jad Abumrad's Dolly Parton's America podcast, I've had a newfound respect for the Iron Butterfly. And these RCA Victor country quads often have some kickass mixes.

View attachment 73147
Porter has a big nose...and Dolly has...well...you know. Big hair. lmao

Porter has a big nose...and Dolly has...well...you know. Big hair. lmao

One of the great things about the Dolly podcast is hearing about how she managed to work her way around egomaniacal shites like Porter--and to both exploit and shrug off the tendency of everyone in the world to reduce her to a punchline about her chest. Brilliant songwriter and an amazingly shrewd person!

Back