Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been wondering about exactly this. Why is this “not a good thing for real surround lovers?”
I’m just speculating.

Because they could just see all of the real surround stuff as just a carrot. But if the carrot ultimately costs more money than it generates plays and subscriptions, Apple could gradually or suddenly lose interest in supporting real atmos mixes. It’s not as though the plug hasn’t been pulled on surround by the powers that be before. In fact, when hasn’t it to a large degree?

I’m just speculating.

Because they could just see all of the real surround stuff as just a carrot. But if the carrot ultimately costs more money than it generates plays and subscriptions, Apple could gradually or suddenly lose interest in supporting real atmos mixes. It’s not as though the plug hasn’t been pulled on surround by the powers that be before. In fact, when hasn’t it to a large degree?
Hush your mouth! ;)

So, is the Atmos mix for headphones distinct from a real Atmos mix? That is, is it possible to create an Atmos mix for headphones without at the same time creating a “real” Atmos mix? If so, then I share your worry!

I don’t think Apple considers Dolby Audio to be “Spatial Audio”. I assuming this is because Apple’s real focus with “Spatial Audio” is the headphone thing - and unfortunately real surround is just a byproduct of that (which is not a good thing for the long run for real surround lovers IMO).

Of course they do. The semantics are really difficult but...

Spatial Audio is Apple's term for any surround sound effect they can reproduce on their devices. The sources for that are currently Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio but it leaves the door open for any sources.

If you look on their curated Spatial Audio section in Apple Music there are many Dolby Audio releases.

No, Dolby Audio is 5.1 (although many of the releases are qued/4.0, silent center/LFE). They do not display as Dolby Atmos on the receiver, just 5.1.
Thanks, that's just as well if not better. Going back a year or less I didn't think there was much if any hope for mch streaming except for the movies.
I had a number of discussions with the guy from Qobuz over on Computer Audiophile/Style about the half dozen 5.1 files they put up 2 years ago. Both myself and Kal leaned on him a bit but we couldn't get anything like some positive feedback from them. The only way to access them was with a Roon media server and no interest was given on going forward with the "experiment".
We need to support Apple specially, they're the ones who have really gone the whole hog into this thing. I reached out and bought a new Apple TV 4k to get fully on board with their best full streaming path. If we don't support them, they aren't going to support us in the long run. Vote with your wallet. ;)

Motown with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (A Symphony Of Soul)

1280x1280-3.jpg

Apple Music - Motown with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (A Symphony Of Soul)
Tidal - Motown with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (A Symphony Of Soul)

Interesting idea but doesn't seem that adventurous unfortunately. Some of the originals are in Atmos too with great mixes...

Krauss&Plant album is simply stunning, at least in terms of music. Too early to have an opinion on the mix
I enjoyed both the music and the mix on the first 3 pre-release tracks and am looking forward to giving it a full listen later today or over the weekend. Despite not being "heavy" music, it has a weight / depth to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back