Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I was expecting the Silk Sonic album (Bruno Mars & Anderson Paak) to be in Atmos, since it's a household name and it's receiving some exposure (MKT) from all streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music, I can count). But unfortunately nothing.
Anywho and regarldess, the album is amazing. Bringin the funk and R&B back!

Last edited:
Somehow I was expecting the Silk Sonic album (Bruno Mars & Anderson Paak) to be in Atmos, since it's a household name and it's receiving some exposure (MKT) from all streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music, I can count). But unfortunately nothing.
Anywho and regarldess, the album is amazing. Bringin the funk and R&B back!
I'm right there with ya, and to pour salt on our wound they keep putting his "Unorthodox Jukebox" in the Spatial Audio section - it's still stereo only! 😭

Looks like a lot of--maybe all?--new Blue Note releases are getting Atmos mixes on Apple Music, although they're all pretty conservative. Listening right now to veteran pianist Bill Charlap's new record, a beautiful, quiet, traditional piano trio set. You probably wouldn't expect much, Atmos-wise, from something like this, and you wouldn't be disappointed (!). Reverb in the rears and a little air in the overheads. Still sounds nice, though.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/street-of-dreams/1586728867

Looks like a lot of--maybe all?--new Blue Note releases are getting Atmos mixes on Apple Music, although they're all pretty conservative. Listening right now to veteran pianist Bill Charlap's new record, a beautiful, quiet, traditional piano trio set. You probably wouldn't expect much, Atmos-wise, from something like this, and you wouldn't be disappointed (!). Reverb in the rears and a little air in the overheads. Still sounds nice, though.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/street-of-dreams/1586728867

i don't remember their MultiCh SACDs being terribly Surroundily compelling.. 🤔

9CB246E7-AD6A-4ED4-BCCB-B4F0A2FA3D65.jpeg

interestingly, they were all mixed in Surround Sound by different people.. Joel Moss mixed Bill Charlap, Richard King mixed Bob Belden, Erik Zobler mixed Dianne Reeves and Norah Jones was remixed for 5.1 by Jay Newland, all at Sony NY, except Dianne Reeves which was remixed at Le Gonks West, LA.

Last edited:
i don't remember their MultiCh SACDs being terribly Surroundily compelling.. 🤔

View attachment 73668

interestingly, they were all mixed in Surround Sound by different people.. Joel Moss mixed Bill Charlap, Richard King mixed Bob Belden, Erik Zobler mixed Dianne Reeves and Norah Jones was remixed for 5.1 by Jay Newland, all at Sony NY, except Dianne Reeves which was remixed at Le Gonks West, LA.

Yeah--I'm thinking that for Atmos, the label must be dictating some kind of "house sound." Hip rising-star drummer Makaya McCraven has a brand new album, too, one that affords a lot more opportunities for doing something exciting in Atmos. Opportunities missed, sadly.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/deciphering-the-message/1581270929

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back