Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....even at $90, this set is still a much better deal than the over bloated and over priced "Moving Pictures" set.

Very true. Plus I am sure that once it shows up on places like ImportCDs and Bull Moose the price will be lower.

The live performances from the original trio are enough to make me want the set. Let's hope that this is a beginning of a series and that Greg's unreleased mixes will soon be released. But if they are all going to be 50th anniversary releases that means we have to wait four years for Blue Moves!

Probably just the same original Mick Ronson version of the song only; that was included on the SACD of Tumbleweed Connection.

Does it say anywhere they’re new mixes?

I might be in if I can get it for $75-80, and hey, aren’t you glad I was wrong, and it’s not $149.95!
Had figured that price if it was with an all new Atmos mix. Perhaps an Atmos mix will show up on streaming though;

I guess we (I) am assuming an Atmos mix of the full album already exists. If so, it just doesn't make sense to me not to include it on the Bluray. Even if they decide physical Atmos mixes aren't a big draw, as you say, the mixing is done and is a sunk cost. The only other additional cost I can conceive of is the Atmos fee. Adding Atmos can only help with interest on the release

But if the full album was not remixed to Atmos.... then it kind of makes sense.

pretty sure Greg Penny said in an interview that he had mixed the whole Madman album in Atmos already

i'm sure it will be lovely.. the book will probably make for a good read.

for me the Blu-ray should have had Hi-Res Original Stereo and Atmos of the album as well but it doesn't so there we go.

i hope at least the 5.1 is actually in Hi-Res Lossless DTS HD MA and/or Dolby True HD and not some daft lossy form.. its mercifully uncommon but it has happened before where we've had Lossy audio only on a Blu-ray.. and the loose "5.1 mix" terminology used by the label so far slightly unnerves me.. fingers crossed for a good outcome!🤞

just on a sidenote/tantrum (no tiara 👑) to wind myself up even further, i bet when/if there's a similar GYBR SDE it will be in a different configuration and probably have Atmos (!) and if so would be yet another such artist SDE type "series" without continuity or seemingly a great deal of forethought about the presentation of what is the most important thing about these releases, chiefly how the actual music itself is to be delivered! ugh, rant over! 😅🤣 )

The prices of super deluxe box sets with overpriced picture books that in my case only read once are getting out of hand IMO. Increasingly the prices are getting obscene for them. Most of us want only the Atmos / 5.1 surround mixes on disc but they load up the Super Deluxe Box sets with Vinyl etc. which only add to the cost. The SACD of Madman which I picked up for around $9.00 has a great 5.1 surround mix and is good enough for me. At the prices that box sets like Rush etc. are asking are price gouging us IMO. I going to be a lot more selective purchasing box sets if this trend of overpricing super deluxe box sets are what is coming in the future. When did $100.00 plus become the new normal?

Someone else may have another example before this, but the Pink Floyd Immersion sets (from 2011-2012) definitely set a new standard for multi-disc box sets.
You are correct but weren’t these Pink Floyd Immersion sets exceptions not the rule a few years ago. Where did the XTC / YES type of surround releases go? Even Porcupine Tree which was the most reasonably priced / bang for the buck releases are getting in on the act with their upcoming box set. Are the most of the new box sets really premium releases like Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road to expect these kind of prices? Sorry to vent.

Last edited:
Wow how disappointing no Atmos mix in this set. Honestly I’m not a huge EJ fan but would have bought this set if it included the Atmos mix regardless if they do in fact release the album in streaming atmos. I prefer physical media and the full bitrate it offers. Just weird it’s not going to be on it if in fact the mix is complete already.

You are correct but weren’t these Pink Floyd Immersion sets exceptions not the rule a few years ago. Where did the XTC / YES type of surround releases go? Even Porcupine Tree which was the most reasonably priced / bang for the buck releases are getting in on the act with their upcoming box set. Are the most of the new box sets really premium releases like Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road to expect these kind of prices? Sorry to vent.

With the exception of Universal's (failed) HFPA Blu-Ray series, for the last 10+ years, most of the major label surround releases were in multi-disc box sets & deluxe editions.
You will still get some independent labels releasing smaller CD/Blu-Ray or CD/DVD sets, but even independent labels like Esoteric Recordings still release most of their surround releases within box sets.

With the exception of Universal's (failed) HFPA Blu-Ray series, for the last 10+ years, most of the major label surround releases were in multi-disc box sets & deluxe editions.
You will still get some independent labels releasing smaller CD/Blu-Ray or CD/DVD sets, but even independent labels like Esoteric Recordings still release most of their surround releases within box sets.

sad but true.. 👍

...Maybe it's a typo and there is an Atmos mix? I'd bite for one on the non released albums in 5.1 but no real benefit in upgrading from the SACD as far as I can see...

Yes, I am really scratching my head on this one. Why would they release a pricey box set with no Atmos mix when the EJ mixes that dwell on Apple are Atmos? Does Apple have an exclusive on EJ Atmos mixes...all in glorious sub-CD-quality low resolution?

Interesting article/interview with Greg Penny, from way back in 2004 as he was doing the initial 5.1 mixes for SACD. Includes references to the Madman 5.1 mix among other things.

https://www.highfidelityreview.com/...w-of-elton-john-surround-sound-sacds-hfr.html
(I also posted this in the Elton John in Atmos thread.)

what a wonderful man he is, really, for me he 'gets' Surround for Music as well as the very best in the business, right up there with the Wilson's and Scheiner's in this game i'd say 🥰

Back