Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I am really scratching my head on this one. Why would they release a pricey box set with no Atmos mix when the EJ mixes that dwell on Apple are Atmos? Does Apple have an exclusive on EJ Atmos mixes...all in glorious sub-CD quality low resolution?

ah.. šŸ’” i hadn't thought of exclusivity!! it may well be a condition that the Atmos mixes are only in streaming form at this point.. that said, the Diamonds Atmos tracks are available on other platforms like Tidal not just Apple Music fwiw so not exclusive to Apple at least šŸ¤”

ah.. šŸ’” i hadn't thought of exclusivity!! it may well be a condition that the Atmos mixes are only in streaming form at this point.. that said, the Diamonds Atmos tracks are available on other platforms like Tidal not just Apple Music fwiw so not exclusive to Apple at least šŸ¤”
So that makes it even more confusing as to why there would be no Atmos mix on this box set.

The Rolling Stones didnā€™t include the Atmos mix as part of the Tattoo You box set. The Atmos mix is still streaming-only.

The Doors L.A. Woman Atmos mix (that never surfaced) was to be streaming only and not part of the box set.

So what happened with Madman is not unusual or unique. At least the existing 5.1 mix is included. We often overlook the fact that some folks who enjoy surround sound music are not equipped to playback SACD.

You are correct but werenā€™t these Pink Floyd Immersion set exceptions not the rule a few years ago. Where did the XTC / YES type of surround releases go? Even Porcupine Tree which was the most reasonably priced / bang for the buck releases are getting in on the act with their upcoming box set. Are the most of the new box sets really premium releases like Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road to expect these kind of prices? Sorry to vent.
With the exception of Universal's (failed) HFPA Blu-Ray series, for the last 10+ years, most of the major label surround releases were in multi-disc box sets & deluxe editions.
You will still get some independent labels releasing smaller CD/Blu-Ray or CD/DVD sets, but even independent labels like Esoteric Recordings still release most of their surround releases within box sets.
I agree but these boxsets for example like Jimi Hendrix electric ladyland started around $50 dollars. Now the prices are getting out of line donā€™t you think? Some of these 5.1 mixes are just ported over from previous releases. Starting now at over $100.00 is price gouging to me. I thought the Pink Floyd Immersion sets were expensive but Rush and Kiss box sets are way out there price wise IMO.

The Rolling Stones didnā€™t include the Atmos mix as part of the Tattoo You box set. The Atmos mix is still streaming-only.

The Doors L.A. Woman Atmos mix (that never surfaced) was to be streaming only and not part of the box set.

So what happened with Madman is not unusual or unique. At least the existing 5.1 mix is included. We often overlook the fact that some folks who enjoy surround sound music are not equipped to playback SACD.

Another translation: We, the labels, have been screwing over people who want the highest quality sound for decades, so let's be consistent and keep doing so. :poop:

I just purchased Multi~CH SACD back up copies of Madman, Elton John and Tumbleweed Connection and whereas the initial batch were pressed in the USA, the latter batch are being pressed in Austria. Until something 'better' comes along, these, IMO, remain pretty definitive and sound EXCEPTIONAL!

The price of this needs to be in the $60s for me to buy this. There just isn't enough value added (above my current MC sacd and RBcd) to make it worth it. If they put "Don't Shoot Me" in a similar package I would be willing to pay $90.

The more I come back to this thread and read...the more disappointed I am.

I look at it this way, if this box set leads to more releases on Blu-Ray audio (in 5.1 surround and/or Dolby Atmos) from Elton John, then I say, bring it on!
Until this year, I had pretty much given up on ever hearing anymore EJ in surround sound.
Now all of a sudden, things are looking up again!

:)

I look at it this way, if this box set leads to more releases on Blu-Ray audio (in 5.1 surround and/or Dolby Atmos) from Elton John, then I say, bring it on!
Until this year, I had pretty much given up on ever hearing anymore EJ in surround sound.
Now all of a sudden, things are looking up again!

:)
They may bring it on, but I will not buy them. I bought the latest Marillion, and that will be my last buy without Atmos, especially at the way prices are going. Streaming is OK for my old ears. :cool:

Like others have said, no Atmos sure is a head scratcher. Which begs the question, who is their target audience? Folks on sites like this one are mostly SACD capable. And with the prices of EJ SACDs, if you're a fan of his these were absolute gems, including Madman, for the money. Not saying they couldn't make a new blu ray sound better, but I've been extremely happy with the 5.1 on the SACD. There are certainly more players out there that will play blu ray vs SACD shiny discs, maybe those are the people they're hoping will bite.

The Rolling Stones didnā€™t include the Atmos mix as part of the Tattoo You box set.
Yeah man, I was so disappointed that "Tattoo You" box set didn't include a surround mix. I am not shy about buying box sets, but one rule, the music must be upgraded from what I already own, therefore Madman will be a no go for me, and I just feel so disappointed.

If John and UMG have NO intentions of releasing Don't Shoot Me, Caribou, Rock of the Westies and Blue Moves on SACD, why don't they just license these unreleased Greg Penney 5.1 remixed Masters to Dutton Vocalion.

In the time it took them to release this latest MADMAN box set it could've been a DONE DEAL!!!!!!!

Back