Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XXX by Asia, a lovely picture disc. Sounds good too!
20220609_171126.jpg

I have been meaning for years (literally) to listen to this. Don't have it on vinyl, just wanted to check it out.

I have heard stories about the felt cover.

I have it on CD, too.

Red flocked I've seen it called. Seems I recall later ones were just red ink printed on the cardboard with a semi-glossy shine.

Red felt sleeves were early US pressings of Odessa. That Atco label you depicted was discontinued later in 1969 in favor of the bright yellow Atco. First pressing(s) in US used the label you own.

A CD version has been issued in several countries with red felt. It is a 3-CD expanded box (2ch/mono/sessions.) If you love this album, I recommend it.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1638564-Bee-Gees-Odessa
I have it on CD, too.

Red flocked I've seen it called. Seems I recall later ones were just red ink printed on the cardboard with a semi-glossy shine.

OK, vinyl mavens. All great picks/pix! For some reason, Wall is the only one I hadn't bought. I made amends by buying Immersion.

Both Moodies and Steely Dan are the best analog 2ch versions. MoFi Future Past tops the MCA 1/2 speed. Katy Lied was royally screwed up, due to equipment problems. MoFi did a stellar job of cleaning it up. Not perfect, though much better!

The 2 Jeff Becks might be the best analog 2ch versions. SQ LP's are my most played copies. Boston is again the best analog. I got the 1/2 speed and 2 ch LP's upon release. 2 ch SACD single layer is my most played copy!

John, not sure specifically which Abbey Road pressing you're referring to. Didn't EMI/Uni do one(s)? I'll comment on the only 1/2 speeds I've heard and own. Again, I bought the MoFi 1/2 speed upon release. I had already bought the US LP, UK 2ch and mono (foldover) LP boxes. (blue and maroon UK boxes.)

2ch LP blue UK box was my point of reference. MoFi LP blew it away, though the blue box sounds stellar itself. I got rid of the MoFi LP after I a/b'ed it to the MoFi LP Collection box. They sounded no different. MoFi box sleeves aren't the album cover. Those are all presented in a LP size book. LP sleeves are pictures of the master tape boxes, front and back. Unbelievably, I got the MoFi LP box and over 100 other MoFi LP's for free in a sales contest they were running!

I rebought it on Japan Toshiba/EMI ('83) CD, US, UK (rolltop box), US remastered black paperboard box, and super duper box w/surround. IMHO, RBCD's all sound the same except 2000's CD remasters. Personally, I prefer the older CD's.

PS: Abbey Road is my fave fab four LP.
Ah, I was referring to the recent years Miles Showell half speeds from Abbey Road...many titles such as Exile on Main Street, Disraeli Gears, Free, Expanded Odds and Sods, etc.

Back