Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heads up!
View attachment 80022
287279391_10159168827446731_2411176595727852598_n.jpg
How is it that the largest corporations seem to have the worst quality control? This should have been caught in playtesting. At least they're gonna make it right, but they could have saved a boatload of money, time, and effort by avoiding this fiasco in the first place.

According to AmazonUS Madman's deluxe box set will be delivered on June 23rd* ...wonder if they caught the glitch .... because if I cancel, I won't get Amazon's reduced $60 price [which includes tax] .... it's now up to $78!

ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE JUNE 10TH

Last edited:
So... What exactly is the problem?

The bonus version of "Madman Across the Water" (featuring Mick Ronson on guitar, originally recorded during the "Tumbleweed Connection" sessions) is not on the disc as it is listed. So they are reauthoring the disc so it is included correctly.

How is it that the largest corporations seem to have the worst quality control? This should have been caught in playtesting. At least they're gonna make it right, but they could have saved a boatload of money, time, and effort by avoiding this fiasco in the first place.
Seems so basic, I mean, the difference in the two versions is massive.

playtesting... playtesting... we don't need no stinkin' playtesting!

I just gotta laugh :ROFLMAO:

i'm at a wee bit of a loss as to why the Mick Ronson version is listed as preceding the album.. its from wholly different sessions and is totally different in tone from the Madman album itself, its not as if it feels like it might work as some kind of opener or prelude for what's to follow, its a balls to the wall rocking extended workout.. it just feels somehow more appropriate to me for the 5.1 to start with Tiny Dancer and for the Mick Ronson track to be added at the end of the album rather than start the listening session with it.. but i'm nitpicking, i guess.. and at least the most overt use of 5.1 will be at the beginning of listening, to really knock people's socks off!

Amazon reckon the SDE's on its way today, so if it turns up that'll be something to play with over the weekend, although i already have a twinge of buyer's remorse, the only genuinely new content (to me) will be the book (which i probably could have written half of myself but we will see 😅 i'm still up for a new take on a story i know practically inside out ) and the handful of previously unreleased demo's is something i'm genuinely looking forward to playing - once - and then never playing again! 😅😆

ahh.. i'm just in a slumpy grumpy mood, so its a bad day to be receiving the Madman's super deluxe 10-inch (as the actress said.. etc.. 🤦‍♀️ )

oh blah, i'm heading back to bed! turn the lights out when you leave, there's a sweetie poppet! 💡🙃

Not even delivered yet and replacement request sent.

ugh. what an utter shit show.

this should have had Lossless 5.1, it could have had the Atmos and they should have got the bonus track right.

there are plenty of people on here (including even little ol' Luddite me) who could've done this, at home on their f***ing computer!! alright, mine would've been a burnt Blu-ray but in other respects people here would've been happier with it.

unforgivable. i wash my hands of this piece of crap now. thank God for the SACD with its lossless 5.1..!! 🙏

ugh. what an utter shit show.

this should have had Lossless 5.1, it could have had the Atmos and they should have got the bonus track right.

there are plenty of people on here (including even little ol' Luddite me) who could've done this, at home on their f***ing computer!! alright, mine would've been a burnt Blu-ray but in other respects people here would've been happier with it.

unforgivable. i wash my hands of this piece of crap now. thank God for the SACD with its lossless 5.1..!! 🙏
Damn, Adam. I'm really sorry you've had such a disappointing unboxing. Most frustrating to read. I hope you can at least find some pleasure in the book. If you ever do burn that (fred)blu(e) ray, remember me, and i'll have your Madman poster framed for you! Oh, hell, i'll have it framed for you just to bring you some joy on this sad, sad day! Sending you peace and love!

Damn, Adam. I'm really sorry you've had such a disappointing unboxing. Most frustrating to read. I hope you can at least find some pleasure in the book. If you ever do burn that (fred)blu(e) ray, remember me, and i'll have your Madman poster framed for you! Oh, hell, i'll have it framed for you just to bring you some joy on this sad, sad day! Sending you peace and love!

thanks Comrade Clem 😍 🤗
ah well, there is at least one silver lining (and i haven't even looked at the book or played the demo's yet, they're probably going to be the highlight of the set now) in that the video material looks about the best i can remember seeing it. although it could've been put on a DVD and probably looked about as good, seeing as its all sourced from old BBC video tape.. well i hope they went back to the best sources and the Producer's of this set didn't just lift the clips off YouTube.. although given the shoddiness of the handling of the 5.1, that is perhaps now a possible scenario!! 😬😂

was just getting stuck into the book etc and Holiday Inn was playing and somehow it just felt like something else was maybe off with the 5.1..?

well will you have a look at this!! its a completely different mastering!! all levels adjusted down and almost all the LFE content is diminished to the point it barely factors into the mix!! 🤯 :SB

either the Blu-ray has Greg Penny's original 5.1 mix and the 5.1 was mastered for the Surround SACD or something else is going on.. HELP!! 🙏

2004 Surround SACD

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 3.35.53 pm.png

2022 Blu-ray 5.1 DTS

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 3.36.13 pm.png

If the Blu-Ray is a little less loud and a little more dynamic, that’s a good thing, right?

i guess so, the BD's certainly lower level than the SACD and needs cranking to sound anything like it but the lack of bass on the BD is palpable on my setup, really noticeably makes the mix on the BD feel a bit wimpier in a way... oh well, maybe i'll get used to it 🤷‍♀️

edit: hang on.. isn't this one of those SACD 5.1 mixes with Full Range info in the LFE?

where does all that content go in the mix on the BD when the LFE is so much lower in level?

and... where did it go originally, i mean how was it resolved if the Subwoofer in our system's had everything filtered out above the crossover?

oh, crikey.. its a big old can of worms and i'm not sure what i mean tbh but it sounds so different now on the Blu-ray, something is fundamentally different even after i raise the volume on the Blu-ray it just doesn't sound like the SACD.. yikes.. i gotta Yell Help!! (again) 😵

Last edited:
ok, so just getting my head round what may be going on?
it seems the LFE on the BD 5.1 has been low pass filtered and all the Full-range content like drum parts incl. cymbals that was there on the SACD (which arguably should never have been there in the first place?) is now gone.. so maybe that's a good thing.. however, the LFE seems low in level and the added "oomph" of whatever extra was going on in the SACD is gone with it. i need to keep digging.. i'll have a look at some other tracks and see if they're all like that 🧐

Back